Push freezing MIDI notes when controlling external gear

Discuss Push with other users.
stiv_hex

Push freezing MIDI notes when controlling external gear

Post by stiv_hex » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:54 am

Push is freezing MIDI notes when controlling external synths. I have tried playing several ones through Push but all notes get stuck and just "builds upon each other" until the midi buffer is full.
If i play very short notes its ok, but as soon as I hold down a pad for more than 5milliseconds it gets stuck. Pretty frustrating!

Technically Push sends MIDI through the External Instrument device out to a USB2MIDI cable>synth.
If I program a MIDI clip and launch it from the same device it works fine, stuck notes only appears while playing directly from Push in Note mode.

Any tips on this?

Thank you!

Fossiel

Re: Push freezing MIDI notes when controlling external gear

Post by Fossiel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I happen to have the same issue. It helped me when I adjusted the sensitivity in the 'user' mode.

stiv_hex

Post by stiv_hex » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:43 pm

I've tried that as well, but it's still the same problem. What velocity settings are you using?

datahowler

Post by datahowler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:52 pm

I also have this issue. Cannot find a fix. The new Push firmware update won't even allow me to go into User settings?

stiv_hex

Post by stiv_hex » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

After alot of stumbling in the dark I found out a fix:

1. Download this M4L tool: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control
2. Turn Sustain to 1
3. No stuck notes on my hardware synth! YAHOOOOOO!!!

themood13

Post by themood13 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 pm

I have good news as I have figured out some good stuff with the volcas. I was trying to use the volcas as midi slaves to ableton live and record midi patterns in the ableton cells with push. I was having no sort of luck at all with out fiddling around with the many options for sync delays. I would get midi key lock-ups or notes freezing and forced to reset the devices. It seemed the more external devices I added to the chain the harder it was to get them to behave properly. I gave up on this and have been using these volcas the past few months synced to ableton only for the purpose of the midi play triggers, thus using the volcas limited internal memory for pattern storage and play. I was showing a friend my rig and discussing my goal of using ableton to control all of the pattern storage and playback and it dawned on me what I was doing wrong. In the Ableton preferences menu under the Midi Sync tab, I had Checked Sync for all of the midi outputs going to the Volcas. Also Track and Remote checked. So, the Volcas were getting a Sync (play) command from Ableton (which I kept memory slot 1 blank on the volcas so no sound would be heard). Then I tried to send a cell pattern playing midi to the volcas. This caused many issues with the volcas. The solution was turning off Sync from each midi output to any external gear, leaving track and remote on for the outputs. Now when I press Play on Ableton, the Volcas do not cycle through the 16 steps and are not "Playing". No 1/8" headphone sync cables are connecting any volcas together. I can use them all with no skipped notes, no note lockups, and push is working wonderfully to play/record into Ableton cells and the Thesis VST is even able to control the external devices, no Problems AT all!@!!!! Good luck everyone and hope this experience helps some of you out.

2- Korg Volca Beats, 2- Korg Volca Bass, 2- Korg Volca Keys, Roland MC-505, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-3, Akai APC-40, Ableton Push, Focusrite Pro-40, Motu Micro Lite 5, Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock, Mac Mini-4core-16GB-1TB, Ableton Live 9 with MAX \m/_ _\m/

AbsoluteFahrenheit

Post by AbsoluteFahrenheit » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 am

stiv_hex wrote:After alot of stumbling in the dark I found out a fix:

1. Download this M4L tool: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control
2. Turn Sustain to 1

I am having the same issue. Use Ableton Push to control an Access Virus b or Alesis QS-8 Synth, when using 'note' mode on the Push, the midi signal turns the notes on, but never off. It is so annoying.

When this happens is when you have the tracked selected, but not recording.

If you record using the Push, I noticed "MIDI Ctrl | Channel Pressure" is being recorded when ever you hit the note. The notes remain sustained.

I go to play back that clip I just recorded, the notes are sustained again. If I remove the "MIDI Ctrl | Channel Pressure" from the Envelopes section in the clip, guess what? No more sustained notes.

I also tried the M4L tool, but does not work.

Any other ideas?

AbsoluteFahrenheit

Post by AbsoluteFahrenheit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 pm

AbsoluteFahrenheit wrote:
stiv_hex wrote:After alot of stumbling in the dark I found out a fix:

2. Turn Sustain to 1

I am having the same issue. Use Ableton Push to control an Access Virus b or Alesis QS-8 Synth, when using 'note' mode on the Push, the midi signal turns the notes on, but never off. It is so annoying.

When this happens is when you have the tracked selected, but not recording.

If you record using the Push, I noticed "MIDI Ctrl | Channel Pressure" is being recorded when ever you hit the note. The notes remain sustained.

I go to play back that clip I just recorded, the notes are sustained again. If I remove the "MIDI Ctrl | Channel Pressure" from the Envelopes section in the clip, guess what? No more sustained notes.

I also tried the M4L tool, but does not work.

Any other ideas?
My own follow up. Found out my MIDI controller was messed up. I replaced it and now everything works fine with Push, as intended. Nice. :)

themood13

Post by themood13 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 pm

My own follow up. Found out my MIDI controller was messed up. I replaced it and now everything works fine with Push, as intended. Nice. :)[/quote]

Which midi controller was messed up that you had to replace?

Sun King

Post by Sun King » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:09 am

I'm having the same problem, but can't figure out how you solved it... Someone who can help me out?

So this is my problem:
- When controlling my hardware synths via the Push "note-mode" (using an External Instrument), the midinotes get stuck. It's like if Push doesn't send "note off". However, this doesn't happen if I hit/release the pads very quickly.
- The polyphonic step sequencer works fine (even with longer notes).

Thanks!

pumpkins1664

Post by pumpkins1664 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 am

I have the same problem. The M4L Keyboard Control 1.23 doesn't solved this problem.
With eternals synths, push freezing MIDI notes.

Darko_Live

Post by Darko_Live » Tue May 05, 2015 7:26 am

Hello everyone.

I am experiencing the same problem and it gave me a few sleepless nights already.
It happened from one day to another, my setup was working fine until this started. I had no updates, no internet even in the studio. Started with one external synth first, now extending to all other midi devices.

After trying a lot of different things, I realized it came from the Push controller, indeed when using it in Note Mode. When Push is unplugged, all systems are fine.

I tried a lot of things, upgraded my Motu128 as well, changed all cables many times. It all comes down to Push having a sustained note sometimes even after pressing just one pad. It messes up the sound even of some synths, sending all kinds of information I don't want.

What I discovered last night, is that when I press Stop button in Live the hold note stops. Even if the main sequencer does actually not run. So there might be something there. Is it only coming on some Push devices ? I have tried it on my older computer, with Live 9.1 + OS 10.6.8, problem remains.

I have updated to latest version of Live last night, didn't help. I also checked all Midi setups possible inside Live (Track only).

Is there anything else we can do ? Anyone actually solved this ? I am also speaking to 'Support' via email. They have been very helpful but I have no solution yet.

Regards,
D.

I made a small iphone movie to show what happens with the Moog SP.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/124 ... 15.mov.zip

GrumpyTroll

Post by GrumpyTroll » Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Having same issue with Push & MicroKorg.

Push sustaining all notes and repeat function doesn't work at all when trying to play the MK via Push.

Darko_Live

Post by Darko_Live » Thu May 14, 2015 8:36 am

Hello.

On my end I solved the problem by updating my Motu Express 128 to the latest frimware. I thought I did before but then I found this page here. http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog

I realized that playing my Moog straight from its USB port via Push just worked. So I spent some time seeking for the latest Motu drivers.

Good luck everyone.

D.