PushChop-looping/chopping for the Push (excuse crosspost)

Discuss Push with other users.
dataf1ow

PushChop-looping/chopping for the Push (excuse crosspost)

Post by dataf1ow » Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Posted this in the M4L forum, figured I'd throw it up here too (sorry for the cross posting).
It's a pair of M4L devices that add some interesting functionality to the Push (think MLR, with some different features).

Check out a demo here:

https://youtu.be/iygXp-a-410

You can get the devices here:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... h-chop-ver

Any feedback at all (bugs, feature suggestions etc.) would be awesome.

yur2die4

Re: PushChop-looping/chopping for the Push (excuse crosspost)

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:14 am

I think I need to download this this weekend

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Quickstart/overview of a the above device. Goes over setup and basic functionality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLH4wyZ5Q7A

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Looks great. Would be cool to have mute and solo functionality added.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:58 pm

You can stop loopers by hitting that loopers record button, that functions as a Mute. I could include a solo/mute modifier using the solo and mute buttons on the Push...Could be a cool idea. But would you want it to mute/solo the track or the device?

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 am

Okay been having a play with Push Chop with all kinds of beats so far (nothing melodic yet) and I got to say it's good fun, really inspiring.

So I found it's best to have an audio track routed in to the track containing the Chop.instance for easy monitoring/auditioning. I did try your suggestion of using the record button to mute but this just deletes what has been recorded which wasn't what I was after. Also tried turning off the Chop.instance device but this doesn't help (of course doesn't maintain sync) so some kind of mute function would be really helpful for inputing and recording silences.
This would also help with building up loops especially melodic content as you hocket the loop sequences together similar to editing clip volume envelopes.

The touch stutter on the encoder is also f*&**ing nice well done there mate! Would like to have the option of adjusting the value without having the stutter effect come into play although the effect produced by touching and adjusting is pretty cool. Maybe have a shift modifier?

Any reason why the device runs regardless of transport status? I can't think why it would be of benefit but...

Haven't had much time on the reverse or pitch functions yet so can't comment.
Only had major crash when I edited the automaping index of the brain device so I could have push display and change these settings. Live did not like me tweaking these while the device was playing back :lol:

Other than that this device is working well on my win 7 64 bit machine and I'm glad because I'm gonna be loading this one up a lot. 8)

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to put it through it's paces! I'm am especially glad to hear it is running on win 7 without much issue. I hadn't tested at all on Windows, so that makes me feel pretty good about my coding ;)

When you arm for recording (pause/mute workaround) it doesn't erase the audio until you begin recording again. When armed, if you press one of the slice buttons, it will play from there. So it functions as a stop, but not really as a mute. I could easily add mute/solo functionality tied to the Mute/solo buttons on the Push. That's on the feature request list for sure.

Im throwing a few different ideas around about ways to address the touch encoders. I definitely want to include a latching or toggle mode, where the stutter stays active. So you could define shorter loops with a stutter value greater than 1. 3 beat, 4 beat, 5 beat etc.

I'll fix the transport thing ASAP. It's silly that it doesn't follow transport status already :)

Oh damn, I never even thought of working on the automapping for the brain, cause there's noting really there that I would want to control fro mthe Push, but for the sake of being thorough and pro about things, I'll get that tidied up as well.

Some things that I am working on right now:
-Redoing the audio engine to incorporate overdubbing, selective loop replacement, variable speed recording and playback, some more flexible glitching stuff, and internal resampling (you can capture the output and then start manipulating that).
-Enabling pattern recording for all parameters not just button presses.
-Making the pattern recording more flexible.
-Support for dynamic loop length
-Automatic length scaling for different time signatures.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:39 pm

This looks great and I plan to spend some time with it over this coming weekend. I'll post some feedback once I do, thanks for sharing!
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:49 am

dataf1ow wrote:Thanks so much for taking the time to put it through it's paces! I'm am especially glad to hear it is running on win 7 without much issue. I hadn't tested at all on Windows, so that makes me feel pretty good about my coding ;)

When you arm for recording (pause/mute workaround) it doesn't erase the audio until you begin recording again. When armed, if you press one of the slice buttons, it will play from there. So it functions as a stop, but not really as a mute. I could easily add mute/solo functionality tied to the Mute/solo buttons on the Push. That's on the feature request list for sure.

Im throwing a few different ideas around about ways to address the touch encoders. I definitely want to include a latching or toggle mode, where the stutter stays active. So you could define shorter loops with a stutter value greater than 1. 3 beat, 4 beat, 5 beat etc.

I'll fix the transport thing ASAP. It's silly that it doesn't follow transport status already :)

Oh damn, I never even thought of working on the automapping for the brain, cause there's noting really there that I would want to control fro mthe Push, but for the sake of being thorough and pro about things, I'll get that tidied up as well.

Some things that I am working on right now:
-Redoing the audio engine to incorporate overdubbing, selective loop replacement, variable speed recording and playback, some more flexible glitching stuff, and internal resampling (you can capture the output and then start manipulating that).
-Enabling pattern recording for all parameters not just button presses.
-Making the pattern recording more flexible.
-Support for dynamic loop length
-Automatic length scaling for different time signatures.
All sounds very tasty dataf1ow. Is that all gonna happen in the next release or piecemeal, also are you planning this be become a commercial release?

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:50 pm

This should all mostly be in for the next incremental release which I hope to be done with by the end of this coming week.

I hadn't really thought about making it commercial. Maybe once it gets to 2.0 and I have all the features I want in there. There's still a lot to be done (a granular synthesis engine would be great for independent time stretching and pitch shifting), so that's a ways off if it ever does happen. This is most definitely a labor of love :D

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

dataf1ow wrote:This should all mostly be in for the next incremental release which I hope to be done with by the end of this coming week.

I hadn't really thought about making it commercial. Maybe once it gets to 2.0 and I have all the features I want in there. There's still a lot to be done (a granular synthesis engine would be great for independent time stretching and pitch shifting), so that's a ways off if it ever does happen. This is most definitely a labor of love :D
Well I'm glad you don't mind the critique 8)

So I watched your youtube vids again which are greatly appreciated and realised I missed the IN -> OUT setting so now I can keep the loop I want on the same track and monitor from there. Cool!
I've been messing around with some melodic arpeggiated material and finding nice ways to get dense delayed clusters of sound. Trouble I'm having with melodic material that's perhaps easier to disguise with beats is that it's difficult to get the loop back in time with the recorded material if my button mashing is off. Have set BttnQntz to 16note and also tried setting brain quantise to different values but not getting much joy.

Also found when recording an 8 bar loop sequence and set the sequence value to 2 that the recording for button presses never got to a point where it took over to playback. This kind of got me thinking that it would be good to be able to punch in and out rather than wait for the recording to come to an end. Maybe you had this planned in the pattern record flexibility, or maybe I'm just missing something? Again. :roll: :lol:

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Quick example just playing around. I was feeling chilled n dreamy. https://clyp.it/dl5glijg

I think because my launch timing was out the loop overlay made things a bit phasey.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 pm

irrelevance wrote:
Well I'm glad you don't mind the critique 8)

So I watched your youtube vids again which are greatly appreciated and realised I missed the IN -> OUT setting so now I can keep the loop I want on the same track and monitor from there. Cool!
I've been messing around with some melodic arpeggiated material and finding nice ways to get dense delayed clusters of sound. Trouble I'm having with melodic material that's perhaps easier to disguise with beats is that it's difficult to get the loop back in time with the recorded material if my button mashing is off. Have set BttnQntz to 16note and also tried setting brain quantise to different values but not getting much joy.

Also found when recording an 8 bar loop sequence and set the sequence value to 2 that the recording for button presses never got to a point where it took over to playback. This kind of got me thinking that it would be good to be able to punch in and out rather than wait for the recording to come to an end. Maybe you had this planned in the pattern record flexibility, or maybe I'm just missing something? Again. :roll: :lol:
When you say that it's difficult to get back in time with the loop - do you mean it's like a 16th off? What's your input/output latency?
The Brain quantize controls clip launching quantization, and the record quantization of all instances. It has no effect on the input (button) quantization, which is controlled from each device.
I'll have a look at that sequence bug, that shouldn't happen. Here's how I imagine the pattern recording working: One press records until the end of the sequence and then starts play back. Another press switches to overdub. Another press playback. Holding the button will erase the sequence and revert to the initial state.
I could make it so one press records, another press starts playback and sets the pattern length. And then the behavior would be the same as outlined above. That actually might be more desirable, but will take a bit of time to implement. I am still working on getting the pitch and stutter controls into the pattern recording.

Nice work by the way! You get the honor of the being the first person to use it other than me!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:54 am

Still really into this device. Pair it with an instance of Fabfilter Timeless and gets some Lexicon Prime Time like freeze and sample pitch mod effects all playable from push. 8) What's the deal with the newer versions neither of them work and not sure of differences between karma v1.0 and push chop v1.1?