Push Does so much more in Bitwig than Live

Discuss Push with other users.
willdahbe

Push Does so much more in Bitwig than Live

Post by willdahbe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 am

Ok the lack of support from Ableton for Push is just ridiculous and pathetic all at the same time. There have been no major updates or workflow improvements for it in the 3 or so years that it's been out. I'm tired of trying to put in suggestions, modifiy python code and buying third party scripts to add functionality to Push which Ableton has done none of. Or the fact bugs have not been fixed which they consider to be "beneficial" to workflow.

Anyways I just watched a video for a free script for Bitwig Studio that allows you to choose what color the pads are on Push for the drum rack in Bitwig. Damn near most of the functionality is working on Push and there's functions that are currently missing from Push in Ableton Live.

Why is there such a lack of support for this product from Ableton and why does no one seem to care?
Last edited by willdahbe on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

willdahbe

Re: Color Map Drum Rack pads in Bitwig Studio

Post by willdahbe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:06 am

There is no reason Ableton should not have any of these features as default for Push. The fact that you can choose different functionality of Push on a per track basis and it's remembered in Bitwig just goes far beyond what I think Ableton will implement. I'm pretty sure they're already working on Push 2 and giving up putting any more major development on Push. I'd really like to eat my own words, but I'm pretty sure they're going to try and drip feed us very minor features then drain buyers by only offering a new controller/software combo.

Groove Menu and Drum Programming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2T3phy ... 9HngDDKF3s

Note Mode and Sequencers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ul2Z3z ... 9HngDDKF3s

Velocity, Session Mode, Mixing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01RC5fB ... 3s&index=4

Device Navigation & Editing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyfWg7F ... 9HngDDKF3s

ash1

Re: Push Does so much more in Bitwig than Live

Post by ash1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:31 am

bitwig is a mess will it ever come out of being just a beta into a real alternative to ableton dont hold your breath

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:10 am

9.2?

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:52 am

Either way the development of Push is just lame. @H20 there are no significant features added to 9.2 for Push other than 64 pad mode for drum racks.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 am

willdahbe, I cannot disagree with you, apart from adding that 9.2 also brings:

modwheel (finally :) )
greatly improved aftertouch (now actually useable)
doubletap+encoder to reset parameters (very useful)
shift+encoder for fine value adjustment (vital)

a few other things I cannot remember.

The modwheel and aftertouch upgrade are the main things I wanted. But there is still a hell of a lot they can and should do with Push:

-hold down device select button to open/close VST windows
-MIDI clips - 4 slots on the screen not used - fill it with - reverse/double/halve/invert - would be fantastic
-renaming of parameters and parameter banks so we can properly organise VSTs
-drumrack sends control
-rack chains control (volume/solo/mute etc)
-touchstrip not being useless in session view - perhaps become a crossfader in this view??
-pads not being useless in Audio/Return/Master tracks view
-different colours for drumpads, especially with 64-pad mode
-moving,copying of clips
-loading of clips (!)
-previewing clips
-make-my-music-incredible button

and other stuff I cannot think of now. While non of those are essential to me, they would sure make operating Push a lot better.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:09 pm

9.3?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

:) let's wait and see

in the meantime, I'm very happy with my setup, apart from my piece of shit PC, which is begging to be thrown against any hard surface.

Jeffromusic

Post by Jeffromusic » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:11 pm

tedlogan wrote:willdahbe, I cannot disagree with you, apart from adding that 9.2 also brings:

modwheel (finally :) )
greatly improved aftertouch (now actually useable)
doubletap+encoder to reset parameters (very useful)
shift+encoder for fine value adjustment (vital)

a few other things I cannot remember.

The modwheel and aftertouch upgrade are the main things I wanted. But there is still a hell of a lot they can and should do with Push:

-hold down device select button to open/close VST windows
-MIDI clips - 4 slots on the screen not used - fill it with - reverse/double/halve/invert - would be fantastic
-renaming of parameters and parameter banks so we can properly organise VSTs
-drumrack sends control
-rack chains control (volume/solo/mute etc)
-touchstrip not being useless in session view - perhaps become a crossfader in this view??
-pads not being useless in Audio/Return/Master tracks view
-different colours for drumpads, especially with 64-pad mode
-moving,copying of clips
-loading of clips (!)
-previewing clips
-make-my-music-incredible button

and other stuff I cannot think of now. While non of those are essential to me, they would sure make operating Push a lot better.
some of those features were already in some of the controller scripts provided by the community, so really it's nothing new. They should be making way bigger changes than this.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm

I know, but those are the only changes I personally want. Ubermap, for example, to change names of banks is a bugfest on windows. Drumrack sends require you to switch modes. And so on. I don't want big changes. I want Push finetuned mainly to require even less mousing and reflect Live even more, not just more stuff for the sake of more stuff.

What big changes do you want?

login

Post by login » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:57 am

tedlogan wrote:I know, but those are the only changes I personally want. Ubermap, for example, to change names of banks is a bugfest on windows. Drumrack sends require you to switch modes. And so on. I don't want big changes. I want Push finetuned mainly to require even less mousing and reflect Live even more, not just more stuff for the sake of more stuff.

What big changes do you want?
I agreee, for me the most important feature not yet implemented in control over drum rack mixer, that is a PITA. If they do that I would be pretty happy.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:30 am

I'm mostly curious about device browsing for Push/Bitwig. I haven't really seen any videos of that.

They clearly have a step sequencer on the Bitwig version. That is one of Push's specialties in Live, the ability to make a midi clip and input the notes on the timeline. Most other controllers do not have this feature in Live. The other unique feature is the device browser. The other functions of Push in Live are either basic control methods, confangled bells and whistle features (show/hide/navigation/editing stuff hacked into it), or features which Ableton added to Live to suit the functionality of Push (note repeat, duplicate clip length, clip record redesign).

darth_fader

Post by darth_fader » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 am

yur2die4 wrote:I'm mostly curious about device browsing for Push/Bitwig. I haven't really seen any videos of that.
Currently, you can only browse presets. Browsing devices, clips, samples, etc. is coming with Bitwig 1.2, which is in Beta.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:52 pm

While I own and like Bitwig, Ableton is just a few stubborn features away from making them irrelevant. The new Push 2 is a smart move...I just bought it today....but I'm still waiting for hybrid tracks and poly pressure features offered by the Roli Seaboard.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Careful. Push 2 isn't a 'midi controller' like Push was. For better or for worse.