128s Chain Selector

Discuss Push with other users.
artell0

128s Chain Selector

Post by artell0 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 pm

I purchased Ill Gates' infinite drum rack a couple months ago. I want to replicate how he has everything set up, so that the first knob on Push can be used as a chain selector, and the selector will select the chain based on which pad was last touched. I understand how to insert a blank drum rack, insert an instance of Simpler into a pad, and distribute the chain range for Simpler. What I am unsure of is how to get the selector mapped so that I am only controlling the selection for the highlighted pad. Also, in his setup, he has two Pitch midi effect plugins in the group. One pitch selector is mapped to Macro1, which acts as the chain selector. I don't understand the role of that link. If anybody can help me understand this process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Winterpark

Re: 128s Chain Selector

Post by Winterpark » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59 pm

There are a tonne of ways to do 128s.

If you have Sampler, it is much easier to do than 128 Simplers....Drag samples into sampler, and then open up the sample select editor and assign them each an individual chain by selecting all of them, and right-clicking 'distribute ranges equally'.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

artell0

Post by artell0 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 am

I understand how to do 128s in general. I am specifically trying to understand how to make it so the upper left knob on Ableton Push always acts as the "chain selector" for the selected drum pad.

login

Post by login » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:28 am

Intead of starting by using a drum rack start by doing the 128's on a single sampler, without the drum rack.

Rack the Sampler and map chain selection to macro 1.

Drop all your samplers configured as 128's in to a an empty drum rack. Now when you press a pad on Push it will focus on the macros of that pad, showing first the macro mapped to chain selection.

I dont get why iLL gates maps pitch efect selector to a macro. mapping pitch is usefull but I jsut map the transpose knob from Sampler.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:05 am

@artello I am not in front of Live right now but I think you are looking for the autoselect switch in your drum rack. That will cause the drum rack to always switch to the chain linked to your last activated pad. That and 'map to siblings' is what you need I think. I will check it out later today to make sure.

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:38 am

I've been experimenting with the 128s/ infinite drum rack concept. I put one of these chains of 128 samples on probably ~60 drum pads. Many of them contain 2 to 4 bar loops.

I'm fining that if I play out a nice drum pattern using the pads on Push, it will play fine. However, when I try to play the recorded clip back in session view, my CPU will spike really high to over 300%.

I tried reducing the number of samples down to 10 chains on each drum pad and that seems to fix the CPU spiking problem, but it is nowhere near as cool as having 128 samples on each pad.

I'm wondering if the technique Winterpark suggested of putting all the samples in as multisamples into a single sampler will avoid the CPU spiking issue.

But I'm also curious if anyone else knows if there is a different reason (other than sheer amount of chains and samplers in the drum rack) that the CPU might be spiking. Another weird thing is that the CPU never spikes when I route the midi notes from a duplicate clip on a totally different MIDI track channel strip. It only spikes when I play the clip that is on the drum rack's channel/track.

Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:39 pm

These are surprising observations TaoEntropy...
Which Live version are you using? On which machine? OS?
Ableton Forum Moderator