Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
BoddAH

Re: Push 2

Post by BoddAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:11 pm

I just got my Push 2 yesterday and played around with it for a bit. Here are my first impressions.

The overall build quality is impressive. I was worried since Ableton now makes Push themselves and no longer commissioned a reputable brand with years of experience (Akai) to build them. It's impressive to see that the build quality is not only as good as on Push 1 but even better.

The pads are a joy to play. Much better than Push 1 which is awesome and a very important aspect obviously.

I won't get into the workflow details as there are many reviews and sources describing the various improvements and changes already. Basically everything about Push 2 is either slightly better, much better or completely new compared to Push 1. Instead, I am going to nitpick a little and talk of some things that I have not seen in any reviews.

I may be the minority but I was fairly disappointed by the screen. Obviously it's technically years beyond Push 1 and much more functional, but contrary to some things I have read, it doesn't seem to be an OLED screen. In fact it seems to be a pretty mediocre LCD screen. The black background isn't black at all (more like a glowing gray, the contrast and the viewing angles aren't that great, which is kind of lame because you'll probably spend most of the time looking at the screen from a steep angle unless you're hunched above your Push or placed it on some sort of inclined stand, and there is noticeable light bleed on the edges of the screen. Being an LCD screen, it is also very vulnerable to reflections and you better make sure to have to bright light sources nearby. I actually had to dim my computer monitor which sat just behind and made the screen difficult to see. This was probably the biggest let down to me because Push 2 had the potential to be a work of art in industrial design and functionality. It's still an incredibly powerful and flexible MIDI controller but the screen really disappointed me compared to, say, the screen of the OP-1 which was an obvious inspiration. In fact, I kind of liked the screen of the Push 1 more from a purely aesthetic point of view and in terms of usability (not functionality obviously). It WAS low tech compared to Push 2's screen but the deliberate retro vibe gave it an 80s feel that just worked very well in that context and high-resolution and full-color RGB functionality aside, it also was easier to read IMHO. :x Now I don't know the reasoning behind this. Maybe a custom OLED screen of this odd size would have been prohibitively expense or downright impossible to produce, maybe they really just wanted to save a few bucks per unit. In any case it's a huge missed opportunity IMHO. :cry:

The second point is REALLY nitpicking but why the hell did Ableton change the encoders from plastic to rubberized finish? After hearing out the complaints of users regarding the edges of Push 1 and the wear and tear of the rubber finish, they finally listened and used a full metal plate on Push 2... only to use the same fragile rubber finish on the part of Push that sticks out the most and that you use the most (the encoders). I am really worried that they'll look like shit in a few months but in that regard only time will tell. In any case I's probably a good idea to keep your finger nails trimmed. :roll:

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Everything I said about the screen should probably be taken with a huge grain of salt as it's highly subjective.

Considering that this is "just" the screen on a MIDI controller, it's probably a bit unfair to compare it to the main feature of a latest-gen high-end smartphone. :)

Overall it's still pretty good. Although I would really like to know if it's actually OLED.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:26 am

heads up... i just got a 15% discount on Push 2 from Musician's Friend (USA free UPS delivery). i was chatting online and asked about coupons and they gave me a code. and no tax...yay!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:33 am

Yeah, sadly the iphone has spoiled us for what we expect out of displays these days.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Beta 9.5.1:

9.5.1b1 Release Notes
Improvements and feature changes:

The Python framework has been updated to support Python 2.7.
Improved the time required to slice an audio sample to a Drum Rack.
Updated fonts and added a number of special characters.
The Live 8 Legacy Mode in Operator has been renamed to something more meaningful.
Performance improvements in waveform rendering.
Slicing visualization improvements and other minor cosmetic tweaks for Simpler and Sampler.
While samples are offline or still decoding, Slice to Drum Rack and Slice to new Midi Track from Simpler are disabled.

Bugfixes:

Live might become unresponsive on OSX if no Max application can be found. Furthermore, Live would not find Max 7 on its own on Windows.
Tracks created by dragging and dropping a rack or rack preset will now correctly be assigned with a new track color.
Fixes a crash which might happen in conjunction with Complex / Pro modes.
Live could hang at launch while displaying the splash screen on Windows 10
The modulation destinations for the new legacy filters in Sinmpler and Operator are now hidden and updated correctly when upgrading a device.
Improved the CPU performance of Complex and Pro when playing back short loops. Note that while clip loops are limited to at least 1/16 note in length, simpler loops can be as small as 50 samples.
Live would crash when cropping samples in Sampler.
Live could hang when loading sets referencing Max devices, if these were saved with Max 6.1.7 or earlier.

Changes for Push:

The color mapping for Push 2's step sequencers has been improved, to better reflect different velocity ranges.
Scales mode can now act as a momentary toggle if held.
When simpler is in 64 pad slicing mode, the touch strip can work as Pitch Bend or Modulation Wheel.
It is now possible to load and hotswap samples in audio tracks.
It is now possible to toggle the Global Record button via Push by holding Shift and pressing the Session Record button.
Sample names are now displayed in the browser while hotswapping.
Introduced a short delay before showing the tempo/swing message when touching the encoders, to reduce the amount of notifications.
When zoomed out on a long sample, it is now possible to see an indication of the existing slices on the Push display.
Push would keep showing the loop selector in sequencer mode after deleting a Clip.
After converting an audio clip to a Simpler from Push, device mode will be selected automatically.
When converting between Simpler and Sampler, Push 2 would lose device selection.
The display could get stuck showing in User mode. Additionally, it is now possible to momentarily enter user mode by holding the respective button.
Mute and Solo would not work if the currently selected track were outside the Session Ring
When loading a sample from the browser, Simpler's "Mode" always would "Classic" on Push display regardless of the default for "dropping samples on Device View".
The arrow keys would stop working in the browser after switching between note and session mode while using the Push browser.
Selecting a scene in Live would cause Clip selection from Push not to work anymore.

Finally, global record from Push :)

[art]

Post by [art] » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:31 pm

epic release

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Looks like the problem with Maschine/KK crashes has been resolved so far) witn Push 2 beta 9.5.1b1
No more crashes when saving/loading with Live. That was fast!!

telekom

Post by telekom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Push 2 is superb, AFAIC. Service from Ableton was exceptional, as I have always found it to be. I ordered on Monday evening, it was scheduled for delivery in Scotland on Thursday. I asked for delivery on Friday as I would be off work, it all worked like a dream. Delivered early so I could play all day. :P

First impressions: The workflow with Live is so intuitive and smooth. Even though I'm just learning how to use it (I didn't have Push 1), everything feels really natural and uninhibited. Design and build is really superb. Screen is gorgeous. Responsiveness of encoders and pads is magical. Integration with the rest of my gear is almost psychic - I can control my Korg ESX or Nord Lead very easily if I feel like it, with a few clicks in Live. Not that this is a new idea, but Push feels like the centre of my studio now.

One tiny gripe - tap tempo with a clicky button is useless. I wonder if it would be possible to programme the touch-sensitivity on the Tempo encoder to respond to taps? I can easily get tap tempo in other ways, but that is the only weak part of the design and implementation IMHO. Perhaps a script that allows for one of the 64 very sensitive pads to be used for tap tempo could also help? 8O

I give it 9.9/10. :) I give Live 9.5 9.9/10. I hope the good people at Schönhauser Allee are having a few beers right now. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

panten

Post by panten » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Telekom; glad your experience with delivery was positive. I'm considering passing on my PushI and picking up PushII so your experience is encouraging.

RE: Tap Tempo issue. I have exactly the same issue with PushI. I submitted a suggestion on the Beta programme about a 2 years ago, that I would prefer if the tap tempo button was a toggle which allowed you to tap any of the 64 pads to derive the tempo. It makes sense as they're so much more tactile than a squidgy or click button.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Panten: The tap tempo thing is almost like "too obvious to notice"… 8O 64 beautiful pads, perfect for well, tapping in a tempo. Could it be possible to provide a firmware update which allows the tap tempo button on Push 2 to be used a bit like the Shift key? What I mean is: rather than tapping the tap tempo button, hold it down and use the pads to enter a tempo. The button still accesses tap tempo as a function but allows the pads to be used instead. Plus, you probably won't accidentally go into this function while playing, because who holds down tap tempo while playing? :)

I know I'm being greedy/ungrateful, but is there a Push 2 Feature Wishlist thread? :) Ableton Admins? :)

PS: Push 2 is awesome in spite of everything I just said.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Put it in Feature Wishlist section of the forums :)

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Tarekith,
Yip done it. :) I haven't been using the forum so much recently, but I found the wish list. It's not a major gripe, but it is literally the only thing I have found lacking in the Push 2 design/implementation.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Tarekith you're a bit of a veteran round here. Would you say you're more likely to have your wish read on the boards here or on the beta programme?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 am

It's easier on the beta forum as other people can vote for your ideas, but the forums here get watched regularly too.

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:02 am

Just picked up a Push 2 from my local reseller. Went for the trade in deal.

It's awesome.

Just a small note but the USB is maybe double the length of the last one. I couldve bought a new cable but I was always plugging Push 1 into the side of the laptop it reached, no biggie anymore, plug in any side you like :) Also its an L shaped cable so tucks out of the way of any spurious knocks.

Anyway played with it in the shop for like 5 minutes and knew straight away it was a keeper.

Work flow is very fluid and you move around very quickly.

I used to hate browsing on Push 1, here its a breeze.

That said, immediatly at this new speed some considerations come to mind.

Like, I cant believe Push doesnt have a Save button, for saving the set, and your files/presets.

The entire padboard could easy represent a keyboard, or at least part of it, and im sure intuitively you'd quickly work out how to type (maybe with an onscreen reference on it)...

The other thing, and I'm not sure if you can already do this, but group a chain of devices into an instrument rack. That would be awesome. Obviously a lot of work to bring in all the detail involved there in regards to setting up a rack...

But beyond what Live can do outside of Push, Push is getting very close to a one to one mapping. Sure there's a long way to go, but as a Push user, its definately about a feeling of confidence of what you can achieve on the device before you grab for the mouse.

I think that mouse grabbing is diminished on Push 2, and hopefully that remains a focus for the device going forward...

But... Cant wait to make some music on this badboy!!! The first thing i knocked out was unlike anything i did on Push 1 so lets see from here :)