Using Push 1 and 2 together

Discuss Push with other users.
nocompromise

Using Push 1 and 2 together

Post by nocompromise » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:22 am

Subject says it all.
Now we have a Push 2, will we be able to use Push 1 and Push 2 at the same time?
n o c o m p r o m i s e
2020 MacBook Pro 13" M1 16GB RAM 512 GB SSD / 2014 macbook pro retina 16GB soon to be retired/ rme babyface / push 1 / novation launch control xl / equator audio d5 /

TomViolenz

Re: Using Push 1 and 2 together

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 am

Probably the same as before. As in, you could, but it was fraught with issues and did not double the Push functionality.

I have not seen anything in the release notes that would indicate otherwise.

It's definetely somthing they should do though to entice (rich) Push 1 users to buy Push 2 in addition.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:30 am

You can sorta use them both together, but like Tom said it's not going to double your Pushing and there's likely to be some conflicts. That's one reason they are letting Push 1 users trade up if they want for a discount, it really is intended to be used by itself.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I asked ableton support if there was any plan to support the use of 2 Push, here's their answer :
If I understand your question correctly, you're wondering about using two Push hardware units in one instance of Live.

This is still not officially supported, and it doesn't look likely that that will change in the near future.

It does work in some features and in certain ways, but it is not fully functional, and not fully supported by us as a function of the software or hardware.

I hope this takes care of everything
You can still use 2 Push as described here : https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... -one-push/

It could also be nice to use pxt-live on Push 1 and use Push 2 in default mode, i don't know of it would be possible without one interfering with the other though...

If this will be possible, I'll keep Push 1 instead of the trade in or eBay option.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Ubik wrote:I asked ableton support if there was any plan to support the use of 2 Push, here's their answer :
If I understand your question correctly, you're wondering about using two Push hardware units in one instance of Live.

This is still not officially supported, and it doesn't look likely that that will change in the near future.

It does work in some features and in certain ways, but it is not fully functional, and not fully supported by us as a function of the software or hardware.

I hope this takes care of everything
You can still use 2 Push as described here : https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... -one-push/

It could also be nice to use pxt-live on Push 1 and use Push 2 in default mode, i don't know of it would be possible without one interfering with the other though...

If this will be possible, I'll keep Push 1 instead of the trade in or eBay option.

I don't think the problem is really on the Push side, but in Live. So even with PXT on one and Push script on the other you could still only control one track/device at a time unless you lock the control surface to a device.

That works for some things, but since you can't lock to tracks (only devices, and maybe clips) it's still quite limited.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:50 am

I really want to know if you can run on a WindowsMachine

Push 1 @ Instance1
Push 2 @ Instance2 what is working if you take instead a APC40

In this Case i would reconsider my upgrade-plan.

Giving now 500 € trade-In-Push just to get the upgraded Version
or wait a littlebit
and buy for almost the same a push2 next year @this time....

there also waiting an SSD-Upgrade and Omni2-VIP-Upgrade which have to go hand in hand...

damn expensive hobby it is... so if i can on run on each instance one push-controller (1&2)
i think i would go now for the SSD-Upgrade+Omnisphere2 BUT if not i would consider the Trade-In
and getting Omnisphere2+SSD for X-Mass.

Any thoughts ?

Syver

Post by Syver » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:17 am

Using Push 1 as clip launcher in Session Mode and Push 2 as Instrument/midi controller could be a great combination.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 am

Syver wrote:Using Push 1 as clip launcher in Session Mode and Push 2 as Instrument/midi controller could be a great combination.
that'd be one expensive clip launcher
But yes I think you can use session and track mode on one and the instrument/step sequencer parts on the other.

Just working on two different tracks at the same time is difficult, mostly because you only have one blue hand. So the focus of both always move in unison.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:00 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/11/w ... wn-push-2/
You can use a Push 1 and Push 2 together – but it’s not so useful yet. Here’s a dream – play with a friend with two Push units, or hook up your Push 2 next to your first-generation Push. So far, we’ve found this works, but it isn’t useful, as track focus on one impacts track focus on the other. Needless to say, I’m chatting with a lot of people on it, and hackers are working away. Stay tuned. Edit: As observed in comments, you can lock one device, so there is a workaround. But I’m hopeful some hack may make something even better.
I'm gonna wait a bit to see if some workaround is coming...
Push 1 could also be used as a dedicated m4l controller (there are some pretty interesting m4l devices for push)

ThomasKlemp

Post by ThomasKlemp » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:20 am

I have used Push 1 and push 2 together. It was very cool to enhance the 64 pads to 128 like the Linnstrument, or to play two synths simultaneously, and see the equal pads blinking on the other push for better orientation. It was very cool to use 16 macro knobs for one VST synth, or for an instrument rack and fx rack, or to modulate / tweak two VST synths simultaneously.
Also I was able to enhance the sequencer to 16 steps.
I was very excited to use push2 and push3 together. So I was writing to Ableton and they told me that they can’t work together but they will try to work on an solution. Push1 and push3 could work together, but there are some bugs, where the will also work on. I am really happy, that there is hope that both controllers can work together in future updates.
Two push3 controllers or push2 with Push3 is a very advanced upgrade, especially if you play notes like the Linnstrument or a guitar, with notes out of the scale.