AU presets browsing with Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
spiral scratch

AU presets browsing with Push 2

Post by spiral scratch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:15 am

Hi all,

Are you -like advertised- able to browse AU presets with Push 2? I tried last night, but no way I got it working. No presets appears on Push's screen.

Are you in the same boat or am I missing something?

Thanks and best regards

jestermgee

Re: AU presets browsing with Push 2

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:30 am

No, not possible. You can, as I read, load 3rd party instruments via push but not presets. You can save presets as racks and browse that way. Look in this thread for preset packs to help browse your plugins.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 am

...i thought that in one of the help videos they showed it's possible to browse presets...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:56 am

Yeah I've just read that apparently AU versions of plugins support preset browsing. No idea how it's done.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am

I do hope VST is enabled with this too at some point. Must a limitation of some kind. I dunno.

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Yes you, I don't use AU but I use VSTs.

First you have to load the plug in, so you can't browse directly to the rpesets if you have not loaded the plug in.

Second, the plug in has to expose it's presets to the DAW. So not all plug ins work.

Other limitation is that it only shows the main folder (in VSTs according to the SDK specification) and you, AFAIK, can't browse banks.

I don't know how AUs works but I suspect it is similar.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Browsing presets was overlooked when the vst standard was bought in. The Akai Advance cannot access vst presets (without preset maps which are just exported mapped presets), KompleteKontrol cannot access presets unless it uses the new NKS protocol or you manually export all the presets so not waiting for Push to do it.

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 pm

jestermgee wrote:Browsing presets was overlooked when the vst standard was bought in. The Akai Advance cannot access vst presets (without preset maps which are just exported mapped presets), KompleteKontrol cannot access presets unless it uses the new NKS protocol or you manually export all the presets so not waiting for Push to do it.
It was, and for example NI plug ins have always done it. the VST SDK original specification allows for the presets to be exposed and changed from the DAW. At least for the main bank.

Developers often ignore this functionality nevertheless. As well as MIDI program change.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 am

jestermgee wrote:Yeah I've just read that apparently AU versions of plugins support preset browsing. No idea how it's done.
I think its one of those things that has to be implemented by the developer, not the DAW maker.

jipumarino

Post by jipumarino » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:06 pm

I think its one of those things that has to be implemented by the developer, not the DAW maker.
That is correct, but you can browse AU presets that you save with the floppy disk icon. I built a batch conversion script (from vendor to .aupreset format) which has allowed me to browse all presets for the plugins I use (mostly u-he's).

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 am

Yeah, I saw your work on the KVR forums, nicely done!

tehsuk

Post by tehsuk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 am

Was just reading up on preset browsing and stumbled upon this if it helps.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/worki ... g-plug-ins

Note that plug-in presets are only available in the browser for Audio Units Plug-ins. In some instances, factory presets for Audio Units will only appear in the browser once the device has been placed in a track and its Hot-Swap button activated.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 am

tehsuk wrote:Was just reading up on preset browsing and stumbled upon this if it helps.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/worki ... g-plug-ins

Note that plug-in presets are only available in the browser for Audio Units Plug-ins. In some instances, factory presets for Audio Units will only appear in the browser once the device has been placed in a track and its Hot-Swap button activated.

Also avaible for VSTs if the VSTs exposes its presets to the daw

spiral scratch

Post by spiral scratch » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:33 am

jipumarino wrote:
That is correct, but you can browse AU presets that you save with the floppy disk icon. I built a batch conversion script (from vendor to .aupreset format) which has allowed me to browse all presets for the plugins I use (mostly u-he's).

My h-he plugs and I say "thanks a lot!" to jipumarino. You script filled the missing step... Could I ask if you have any intention to write such scripts for others plugs (NI, Fabfilter, Valhalla among for example)?