Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:26 am

Hello

I've had Live since v6 (now on 9 Suite), and have dabbled with it but still consider myself a relative novice.

Push 2 seems quite interesting - both as compositional tool (and ? also for performance).

I rarely get any tracks completed (and, like most folk, have many other distractions in my life).

But I'm thinking Push 2 could be a quick way to improve my creativity and get stuff done (mainly because it looks like great fun to compose with). I love the way it appears to integrate so closely with Live, so this may simplify things & allow me to ignore distraction of other hosts I own.

Maybe Push 2, with my Behringer BCF2000 as mixing surface (Mackie mode) and my old Midi controller keyboards (Roland PC-180 for synths and Ensoniq SDP-1 for pianos).

Might this work ? My principle concern is that using the Push 2 may not be as immediate or easy as I would like. Is there a steep learning curve (especially considering I'm no Live wizard) ?


Thanks
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

AgroRhythm
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by AgroRhythm » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:52 pm

There is a learning curve like with anything, but at the same time this will stimulate your mind to think in different ways (at least, I feel it would have that benefit since it would be putting you outside of your comfort zone).
The main idea or concept if you will behind Push is that it is intended to be an instrument, an extension of Live.
Regardless, Ableton have graciously prepared this series of videos that really get straight to the point :

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/

BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:37 pm

AgroRhythm wrote:There is a learning curve like with anything, but at the same time this will stimulate your mind to think in different ways (at least, I feel it would have that benefit since it would be putting you outside of your comfort zone).
The main idea or concept if you will behind Push is that it is intended to be an instrument, an extension of Live.
Regardless, Ableton have graciously prepared this series of videos that really get straight to the point :

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/
Thanks

OK, so not really a compositional tool then, for getting a track done (or a significant part of) in Live ?
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

Zyko1
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Zyko1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:57 pm

BC wrote:
AgroRhythm wrote:There is a learning curve like with anything, but at the same time this will stimulate your mind to think in different ways (at least, I feel it would have that benefit since it would be putting you outside of your comfort zone).
The main idea or concept if you will behind Push is that it is intended to be an instrument, an extension of Live.
Regardless, Ableton have graciously prepared this series of videos that really get straight to the point :

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/
Thanks

OK, so not really a compositional tool then, for getting a track done (or a significant part of) in Live ?

What gives you the impression "it is not"?
That's exactly what the videos show! build a track from scratch, compose melodies, make beats, bring it all together by launching/stopping clips, and even get the arragement done that way.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "compositional tool"... Basically I don't get what you are asking for.
Also for me the Push is very inspiring, just browsing random sounds and suddenly there is an idea striking the mind. So yeah, it can definitly kick start your creativity!

BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Zyko1 wrote:
BC wrote:
AgroRhythm wrote:There is a learning curve like with anything, but at the same time this will stimulate your mind to think in different ways (at least, I feel it would have that benefit since it would be putting you outside of your comfort zone).
The main idea or concept if you will behind Push is that it is intended to be an instrument, an extension of Live.
Regardless, Ableton have graciously prepared this series of videos that really get straight to the point :

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/
Thanks

OK, so not really a compositional tool then, for getting a track done (or a significant part of) in Live ?

What gives you the impression "it is not"?
That's exactly what the videos show! build a track from scratch, compose melodies, make beats, bring it all together by launching/stopping clips, and even get the arragement done that way.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "compositional tool"... Basically I don't get what you are asking for.
Also for me the Push is very inspiring, just browsing random sounds and suddenly there is an idea striking the mind. So yeah, it can definitly kick start your creativity!
Thanks.

I think I mean that if it's intended just as an "instrument" as mentioned above, then it is one (of many) instruments that make up a composition (e.g. completed track).

However if it can also be used to control other aspects of composition in Live (clips, mixing, levels, recording etc.), then it is also a compositional tool. And it appears that is is both. Which is good !
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

nutterwithbutter
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by nutterwithbutter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi there - i have to say just go and get one!

I'm a bit like you - only use ableton as a hobby and rarely finish anything. I purchased push 1 a few months ago when they had their clearance offer, and over the last few months it pretty much sat there unused.

I think I just didn't have time to learn the workflow. It took a while to get used to and collected dust (a bit like my Maschine which is has an even more handicapped sequencer, and now is just sitting collecting dust as an overpriced soundbox).

I just upgraded to the new Push 2 and i have to say, although it doesn't look like much has changed on the surface, some serious work has gone into the workflow and guiding you through the process of using it - not just the screen but all the other buttons seem to light up only when they are useful - this has helped so much - its hard to explain, but it just seems like i know how to use it now. I'm rarely touching the mouse or looking at the screen...its so much more thought out than the original.

It wont help you to finish your ideas, i still think that its not great in the arrangement view, but it will help get you most of the way there.

It's actually so good i came onto the forum just wanting to say good job ableton - and the trade in offer is going to make some kids really happy. Just good karma, i like that. And saves trying to flog it on ebay and then giving ebay 10%.

yur2die4
Posts: 6437
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 pm

If you check out the recent videos floating around that reveal the new features from the overall 9.5 update, you will see that there are a lot of inspiring little treats to explore which sit nicely in conjunction with the already established features of Live.

If you just open the program up and try everything out without being hard on yourself, I bet you can come up with some really fun things.

Now, with Push, I have version 1 and in some ways I am a little disappointed, but I'm other ways it seems to always be there when I want it. I just have to tak the initiative to buddy up with it.

When you combine either of the Pushes (gotta say, 2 seems to have things covered nicely) with the concepts of the 9.5 update, the only thing that'll stop you from feeling inspired will either be that you've forgotten the smorgasbord of options to exploit in Live (good opportunity to play Live manual roulette), or you worry you'll get so into something that you'll be heartbroken when you can't find the time to finish it.

It is too bad that life gets in the way of music fun haha

BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:03 am

How does Push 2 compare with the new Novation Launchpad Pro ?
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

Lowfront
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Lowfront » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:14 am

A quick google search showed me you can't really compare them to each other besides they have some pads.

Tarekith
Posts: 17411
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:12 am

Yeah, totally different beasts, it's impossible to overstate how much that display changes the way you interact with Push.

BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:22 am

And is performance identical over USB 2 vs USB 3 ?
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

Tarekith
Posts: 17411
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:55 am

Shouldn't make any difference.

Infinitarchitect
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Infinitarchitect » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:08 pm

I just purchased the Push 2 and it is absolutely amazing. There is no reason to debate getting the Push 2 it will spark even more creativity even if you have no problems with creativity.

Harmonic Progression
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:06 am

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Just watching the new product videos, I can see the creative possibilities are nearly endless. The new browsing features and better screen definitely brings Push right up to the level of Maschine, in my opinion.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

BC
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Push 2 - will it kick start my creative juices ?

Post by BC » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:18 pm

My will power is slowly crumbling...
Image


If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

Post Reply