Push 2 Pads and First Impressions

Discuss Push with other users.
rikrak

Re: Push 2 Pads and First Impressions

Post by rikrak » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 am

rabs wrote:I am definitely having the same inconsistent pad issues - with regards to velocity.

It's really noticeable when playing say a piano gently. When I play a few chords gently, one note at a time - kind of rolling the notes - all of a sudden one note will jump out really loud.

Is this the same issue you had rikrak?

It seems like a firmware issue as apposed to a hardware faulty....vey disappointed as my Push 1 didn't do this.
Yep. Seems there are a few threads about this now. I'm hopeful that a firmware update which allows the Aftertouch to be adjusted will fix this issue.

A firm press on a pad you are already touching should not be read as a fast velocity. Whilst I have adapted my playing to suit the Push2 pads, it's impossible to avoid the odd spike, especially with chords as you describe.

My Pad settings, for the record, are 7,4,5.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

rabs

Post by rabs » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks rikrak, I'll give those settings a try but not holding out much hope as I tested it a lot over the weekend.

Did you say your pads have improved a little though?

davesheremata

Post by davesheremata » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Hmm.. my pads on my Push 2 are MUCH more consistent than on my original Push. Rirak, I think you should seriously consider that your unit might be defective and exchange it. In retrospect, perhaps my original Push was defective, and I should have exchanged it!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Can anyone have another go at describing the buttons on Push 2? (Not the pads, but basically everything else you can press.) One of my biggest beefs with Push 1 is the fact that the buttons require too much force in order to respond; i.e. you should be able to just tap them lightly rather than *press* them down. Has this changed for the better?

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:55 pm

My pads are fine now - they just needed a fair bit of breaking in. (Aside from the strange aftertouch/volume issue detailed above - which is probably the same on everyone's Push2).

The non-pad buttons are easy to press but have a slightly unusual feel. They seem to be thin rubber over a mechanical indented button. An odd design choice.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

Tone

Post by Tone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:58 pm

My pads are breaking in nicely. I do have that weird aftertouch spike though, hopefully its fixed like they say. I love the recessed buttons EXCEPT the tap tempo, because it is righ underneath the tempo knob its tuff to tap. I used to tap the old one like hitting a drum on a pad when I was playing live with other musicians, now I have to keep my thumb on it and tap the tempo. Also for the record the tempo knob IS wobbley?? whats up wit that?

right now pads set at 7 8 7 (thanks Tarekith)
MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 i7 quad, 16 gb ram, OS X 10.10.2, Live 9.6, PUSH II
https://soundcloud.com/nitepeople

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:29 pm

[jur] wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
[jur] wrote:
... only one han is needed.
Hmmm, is this a Star Wars reference? Joke, joke!

I'll have a look when I get it, mate - I know it's got to be obvious! I remember seeing the name of the current layer in the top left with an arrow pointing left...hmm. I thought I tried the arrow pads, but those IPAs were pretty strong....
Ok. Keep the instrument rack device selector button pressed...
Thanks, mate! Figured it out that night. ;)

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 am

Just got mine this afternoon. After a few hours playing with it I'm impressed with the pads. The lights under each of the push switches are night and day difference, you can actually see them on the Push 2'

But ....... I do have a few white lights that have that hint of pink to them. No where near as bad as I had with my Push 1 had, and not bad enough to return it.

So will I be sending my Push 1 back to Ableton for their trade-in deal? Yeah, only because of the donation to the schools part of it. I want to see some young folks have a go at it with Push.