Push 2 + Map8

Discuss Push with other users.
feelthetrip

Push 2 + Map8

Post by feelthetrip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi,

can any Push 2 owner check if Push2 shows the actual parameter names of Map8?
On Push 1, it shows "Macro 1", "Macro 2", etc. which is useless.

Thanks!

JohnnyVenom

Re: Push 2 + Map8

Post by JohnnyVenom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:23 pm

+1 on this... Looking at M4L and cycling74 forums and the likes, it seems like this is not accessible to change easily, as the architecture doesn't support dynamic renaming of the live.dial object (See: https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/rena ... live-dial/). I haven't experimented, but if you are using a Map8 device with fixed mappings it should be easy enough to save a copy of the M4L device, open it up in Max, and change the Short Name of each live.dial object to your desired name. But the parameter values will stay 0% - 100%, despite their true mappings (in my case, I have a dial mapped to Beat Repeat and it should show 1 bar, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16, etc...).

A super easy way to show the names correctly is to put the Map8 in an effect rack and map the Map8 macros to the Effect Rack macros. That way you can at least quickly rename your knobs to something meaningful that WILL show up on the Push.

Hopefully dynamic names and parameter values for live.dial will come in a future update.

Cheers,
Johnny Venom
Johnny Venom
McGill University | Schulich School of Music
Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory | IDMIL
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Media & Music Technology | CIRMMT
johnny@johnnyvenom.com

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:46 pm

They can't happen because you would crash live changing parameters that can be automated....

Our SMART device released this friday does display the names properly by taking over the Push screen when its in view...

https://vimeo.com/145539132

Cheers
D

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:57 pm

hmm, this updated Smart looks sexy, can't wait to try it out!
Ableton Forum Moderator

bwax

Post by bwax » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Over 1 year later and still "useless" as far as I can tell. Have I missed something?

I'm trying to control Microtonic drum vst using Push 2. I've put two Map8 max4live devices next to the Microtonic vst. Mapped everything just fine. Except... no parameter names show up on my Push 2 screen. Only "Macro 1" "Macro 2" "Macro 3" etc.

So close to making a nice little drum synth controlled by Push 2. Beyond frustrating to say the least. Any word from Ableton HQ if this will ever be corrected?

I've been waiting to have custom control over mappings, naming, ordering, etc. since Push 1. I truly don't understand why this isn't implemented by Ableton (not left up to 3rd party devs). Any word on this from HQ would be greatly appreciated.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't think anyone has acknowledged that it's "useless" it works as designed, the desired names on the screen would involve changing shortnames on the macro's within the M4L device which would lead to instability and likely crashes....

If you want to control how the Push Automaps to VST's etc then you need our PrEditor device....

https://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/isotonik-preditor/

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:23 pm

feelthetrip wrote:Hi,

can any Push 2 owner check if Push2 shows the actual parameter names of Map8?
On Push 1, it shows "Macro 1", "Macro 2", etc. which is useless.

Thanks!
Not with Map8, but I've made a device that can do the same thing and lets you name the Macro. Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=224569
Should also work with any other controller that shows the custom macro names, like Push 1 and some Mackie and Novation controllers .