Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 EVERY TIME!

Discuss Push with other users.
cskracer

Re: Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 EVERY TIME!

Post by cskracer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 am

Worth checking under your MIDI Preferences and seeing if you have more than one Push 2 listed there and if you do deleting everything but one.

I wasn't getting crashes, but my Push wouldn't work properly and uninstalling device drivers etc did nothing. When I checked in the my MIDI Prefs I somehow had multiple versions of my Push in as different devices. Getting rid of all but one, shutting down Live and turning off the Push then restarting everything fixed the issue.

classicaltrombone

Post by classicaltrombone » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Went back and forth with Ableton with no easy fix. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and the Push 2 booted right up on the first try.

If you're having this issue and pulling your hair out, especially if you have your stuff backed up already, just wipe it out. It's like a nice spring cleaning of your data!

PlayTank

Post by PlayTank » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on uninstalling Notion. I had a fresh Live 64-bit install on a fairly fresh Windows 10 64-bit. Plugged in Push 2 for the first time, and Live crashed. After re-installing Live to no avail, I came here and saw the tip on uninstalling Notion. That fixed it, and I'm back in business. I wish I could still use Notion, but I use Live more.

So +1 on Notion incompatibility and wanting that fixed.

j0nt

Post by j0nt » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Another +1 for uninstalling Notion to fix this. Thanks for the suggestion...that saved me a few headaches.
JT
silenceandsound.com

trbone64

Post by trbone64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Yep Progression was it for me. Uninstalled, and the thing works fine. Weird, but works!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:03 am

What is Progression? I haven't heard of that one before and it would be useful know. Thanks!

d.coder

Post by d.coder » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:53 pm

meta-redundant wrote:OK - I just suffered through this, was ready to starting wrecking things (lol), and here's what I found.

v9.5 was working flawlessly for me on Win10.

Updated to Live 9.6 - Push 2 then crashed Live every time, whether Push 2 was turned on before starting Live, or whether I turned it on after Live was already started. Either way, if it was connected and turned on, I would get the "A serious error has occurred..." message, and Live would crash hard.

Ruthlessly trashing all preferences and ancillary files, then reinstalling - did nothing. Reverting back to 9.5 did nothing. Disabling ReWire (via the Options.txt fix) did nothing.

Now here's the crazy part: I realized I didn't even need to have Push2 connected to crash Live - I only needed to select it as a MIDI controller in the Preferences (!). If I went into the "Control Surface" drop-down and chose Push 2, BAM. OK - now we're getting somewhere. Clearly when it tries to link up with the driver (or remote script? not sure how it works in practice) - this is what's causing the problem. I also noticed something else: normally, connecting/disconnecting the hardware would cause the Windows "device connected" sound to play - and this had stopped happening after the v9.6 update. OK, time to nuke the driver.

So I went into Device Manager, exposed hidden devices (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315539), and deleted all instances of the Push 2 hardware from:

--Sound, video and game controllers ("Ableton Push 2")
--Universal Serial Bus Devices ("Push 2 Display" - be sure check the box that asks if you want to completely remove the driver from the system)
--Software Devices (2 instances of "Live Port" and 2 instances of "User Port")

I trashed the Live preferences for good measure, and rebooted.

I launched Live, let it rebuild all the preference folders, and with Live still running, re-connected the hardware - ah, there's the Windows "new device connected" sound....AND I was now in business.

Your mileage may vary - but if you're still struggling and haven't found a solution (and if merely SELECTING the control surface in the MIDI preferences crashes Live), it's maybe worth a try?

Cheers!
Hey, thanks alot for this! It's the second time that this made Live and Push2 working again on my machines 8)