Push 2 and Windows 7

Discuss Push with other users.
roby

Push 2 and Windows 7

Post by roby » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Has anyone been able to run Push 2 on Windows 7? I already email support but I want to see if anyone here can help in the mean time.

I got my Push 2 yesterday and I haven't been able to use it at all. At first I was having issues installing the the correct drivers. It was installing the generic MIDI 'Push 2' drivers, but installing a generic 'WinUSB Device' driver instead of the 'Push 2 Display'. In Push, I would see the Ableton logo, then the screen would go dark and none of the buttons on the unit would light up. Also there was no indicator in Live that it was being controlled by Push 2.

After some searching, I found the 'Push 2 Display' driver in some temp folder and replaced the 'WinUSB Device' with it, but no luck, Push 2 and Live were experiencing the same symptoms as above.

As a last resort, I uninstalled Live and all the Push 2 drivers, reinstalled everything again, and nothing.

I was really looking forward using Push 2 and I'm very disappointed by my experience so far.

login

Re: Push 2 and Windows 7

Post by login » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:02 pm

I am working with push 2 in win 7. I have seen this from tie to time, what solved it when happened:

1.- Turn push2 off/on.
2.- Start a new set.
3.- Deselect and select Push2 again from control surfaces.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:27 pm

On my machine, Push 2 will not install correctly unless you attach Push 2 to its power supply before you attach it to the computer.

roby

Post by roby » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:36 pm

@login: I've a tried combinations of that to no avail.
@ark: Push 2 has been plugged in to the wall the whole time.

My Windows 7 hasn't been updated in ages (since 2010), so I'm going through the necessary updates to see if that helps.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm

I honestly think you should really consider upgrading to Windows 10. Win7 was a good ol' hoss, but its day is done, and Win10 will be continuously upgraded from here on out; there will be no Win11.

IMO, YMMV, of course....

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:27 pm

ark wrote:On my machine, Push 2 will not install correctly unless you attach Push 2 to its power supply before you attach it to the computer.
I'm on Win7,64bit. This sounds like my method.

With Live running, Push2 off and assuming Push control surface is present in Live prefs:

1)Ensure USB is unplugged.
2)Turn on Push2 and Push logo should appear.
3)Insert USB lead.
4)Repeat until Push picks up session.

It usually takes 4 or 5 attempts, and then it works fine until I turn Push2 off.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:03 am

roby wrote:@login: I've a tried combinations of that to no avail.
@ark: Push 2 has been plugged in to the wall the whole time.

My Windows 7 hasn't been updated in ages (since 2010), so I'm going through the necessary updates to see if that helps.
Didn't do much for me. I was running SP1 and nothing beyond that, tried doing all the updates, found they did nothing but slow my system down so I rolled them back with a restore point.

As for me, I'm on Windows 7 and able to use Push 2 well enough but the waveform display and mix meters do not work. When I load a sample it still says "Press 'Browse' to load a sample".

I feel for you, man. These forums (and all audio forums in general) have a lot of petty complaints. People zone in on one thing they dislike and willfully overlook what a wondrous little piece of technology the Push is. My problem is a little bit of a letdown but I figure either support will find a solution or Ableton will fix it with an update. Your problem is an actual problem, and that stinks. I hope you work it out.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:56 am

The drivers for my push arent installing at all. However on my old macbook, it all works fine.

Would be great if this gets solved. Dont want to upgrade my windows version.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment variables.

Create an environment variable named devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices (all lower case) with value 1.

Run -> devmgmt.msc

Now you will see a window for Windows Device Manager. In the "View" menu, you will see a checkable option called "Show hidden devices" (which is there only if you created the environment variable properly). Check it.

At this point, if you expand the various categories of devices, particularly "Sound, video and game controllers" and "Universal Serial Bus devices," you will see devices for which drivers are installed but that are not connected at the moment.

Find all such devices that are related to Push 2, right-click each one, and select "Uninstall."

Now, with Device manager still running,

(1) Connect Push 2 to its power supply.
(2) Connect Push 2 to the computer via USB.

Watch what happens in the Device manager window. With luck, after the smoke has cleared, you will not see any "Unknown device" lines in the displays. If so, then I think it's a safe bet that your machine has recognized Push 2.

Now launch Live. If the rectangle does not appear around your clips, control-comma, MIDI tab, then:

(1) Make sure that one of the rows of control surface tabs says "Push 2," "Ableton Push 2," and "Ableton Push 2" (not Push 2 (channel 2)) in the three columns, respectively.
(2) Locate the MIDI port description for "Ableton Push 2" and try turning the "Track" and "Remote" toggles off and on.

roby

Post by roby » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:17 pm

@ark: thanks for that. Actually I was uninstalling the two drivers in 'safe mode', and later I found a batch script that did the same as you pointed out.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, my Windows 7 had not been updated for quite some time. It was kind of a pain to get it up to speed as there were some conflicts I had to resolve which involved having a dual boot system. Now I can get Push 2 to work with a fully updated Windows!

codename

Post by codename » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm having a similar problem with my Push 2, the LCD screen doesn't display anything, it only displays the logo while everything else functions correctly (knobs, pads, buttons).. Could it possibly be the driver is reading my old Push?

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:44 pm

ark, thanks for the great suggestion

however, still no red rectangle for me

after 2 evenings of frustration.. guess i'm going to wait for the support staff to bring a solution

ark

Post by ark » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Fossiel wrote:ark, thanks for the great suggestion

Can you post a screenshot of the Windows Device Manager window with the "Sound, video and game controllers" and "Universal Serial Bus devices" categories open?

ark

Post by ark » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Fossiel wrote:ark, thanks for the great suggestion

after 2 evenings of frustration.. guess i'm going to wait for the support staff to bring a solution
Once you've posted the screenshot of the Device Manager window, can you do the same for Live itself after entering control-comma and selecting the MIDI tab?

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:20 am