Push 2 Poll - Is your top left knob wobbly/loose?

Discuss Push with other users.

Is your Push 2 top left knob wobbly/loose?

yes
75%
no
13%
makes me question getting Push 2
6%
dont care, gonna get it
6%

Total votes: 16

nori.lam

Push 2 Poll - Is your top left knob wobbly/loose?

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey guys,

Please answer the above poll.

I just checked out Push 2 at my local shop and the top left knob is super wobbly. I mean compared to the rest of the knobs and to all the knobs on Push 1, this thing feels like its going to break off if I travel with Push 2 or if I press a bit too hard.

Is this just a one off case or is every single unit like this?

I would love to upgrade but if this is the new build quality, I may wait until Rev 2 to see if they fasten that sucker down.

Considering the 30-40% increase in price, my first impression was 'wow that is pretty shoddy workmanship'

Anyone else seeing this?

lovelight

Re: Push 2 Poll - Is your top left knob wobbly/loose?

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:40 pm

mine is wobbly to. thats pretty weird, i dident notice it before you said it, but it has this click turn for easy and precise tweaking, maybe thats why its a bit wobbly...
Last edited by lovelight on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Push 1 also has the clicks, but its a smaller knob and doesnt wobble
I dunno, it just donts 'feel' good especially since it is closest to the edge of Push.
So if there is any knob that is gonna get pressure during moving around, I would think it would be that one and the master volume (which I also found a bit wobbly)

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:50 pm

and its not a cheap controller, so it shouldent be like that. my master seems ok, but the mentioned knob is actually quite wobbly :( plus the knobs plastic cap can easily be pulled off, that means if you travel alot with your Push 2 be sure to have good top on it, if you dont wanna loose the plastic cap...
Last edited by lovelight on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:54 pm

lovelight wrote:and its not a cheap controller, so it shouldent be like that. my master seems ok, but the mentioned knob is actually quite wobbly :( plus the plastic cap can easily be lifted off, that means if you travel alot with your Push 2 be sure to have good top on it, if you dont wanna loose the plastic cap...
OK, so it seems to be 'normal'

Geez. I really hope they Push out a Rev 2 that replaces it.

For a 800$ you'd think they would have made sure it was at least the same quality as Push 1 which is 200$ cheaper.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:14 pm

it really is the only thing thats not perfect, off cause to this price it shouldent happened. But i love Push 2, it makes my workflow so much better and easier. pads are in a super quality as the rest of the controller, except the mentioned knob. i can live with this minor problem.

outofgas

Post by outofgas » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Hey, wait, is the cap supposed to come off like that? 8O

It went back on, and I'm assuming it's not a big deal, but is this a bug or a feature?

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Alright guys,

So I just got a reply from Ableton support and they said they are aware of the knob issue and are sending replacements out to owners with affected units. They said the next shipment of Push 2's will have the new knobs and the problem should be fixed.

Also, if you have an affected unit, contact ableton support contact@ableton.com and they will ship you out the new knobs :lol:

Great that they are ontop of this.

Be interested to hear how the new knobs 'fix' the issue.

Anyone with a 'new' unit, please drop a line and let us know how it is.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:50 pm

thanks for the info and work :)

you can not change the knob your self, without open the hole unit, you can change the cap, but thats not the one who is wobbly. but maybe the new cab fits better :)

http://lovelight.biz/
Last edited by lovelight on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ash1

Post by ash1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:58 pm

any chance of a video clip :)

[mto]

Post by [mto] » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Hello everyone!

The Support colleague quoted in the above post has unfortunately relayed on partially wrong information. For clarification:

The tempo knob differs from the rest of the encoders: it is not a potentiometer (as the others are), but is rather a stepped encoder.

While is it true that the Push tempo encoder presents some degree of lateral movement, this is absolutely not due to an oversight in manufacturing, and all Push units present the exact same behaviour. This is neither a defect nor has it any impact on the durability of the encoder component.

To provide a smooth feel when adjusting the tempo with Push without compromising on the precision required for this task, we have picked the component which worked best by carefully comparing a very high number of candidates. The fact that the encoder shaft presents some lateral movement is a property of this type of encoder, and does not affect the firmness of its connection to the hardware.

We apologize for the confusion and invite you to get in touch with Ableton Support if you have more questions regarding Push:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/contact-support/

We will lock this thread because the fact that some expected lateral movement with the tempo encoder is present on every Push unit renders the Poll obsolete.

Best regards,
Marco