What annoys you about Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.
koranek

Re: What annoys you about Push 2?

Post by koranek » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:46 am

Device parameter labels are gray/dark gray against black on the screen. This is in the GUI Design 101 "Top 5 Things to Avoid" list. Sure, it's aesthetically slick, just bad human factors. Let's hope they don't take two years to fix it.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Renamed devices still show up with the default Live name on Push's screen.

Example: I renamed the Utility on my default master channel to "Mono", but it still shows up as Utility.

This does not annoy me, but would be nice if fixed.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:14 am

The improvements from push the original are pretty obvious but like someone mentioned there are still things I would like to see:
Step sequencing fx parameters in audio clips would be amazing
Creating chains in racks also
That 2 handed solo/ mute none sense!
Grouping tracks would be awesome too
Don't know about naming stuff tho I hate spelling stuff with dials!
Also I wish they did like the old mpc's where the shift functions were written in white above the buttons that way there is less guessing or memorizing at first

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:15 am

tedlogan wrote:Renamed devices still show up with the default Live name on Push's screen.

Example: I renamed the Utility on my default master channel to "Mono", but it still shows up as Utility.

This does not annoy me, but would be nice if fixed.
Right I forgot about that and it seems renaming macros doesn't show up in push' screen either

emkays

Post by emkays » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:18 am

There's really only one major thing at this point, and that's the fact that you can't really use it to play instruments reliably. Dynamic response is all over the map when trying to play anything other than drums or triggered sounds (short stabs vs legato lines/smooth chord changes/etc). I hope they figure a way around this one though since that's the only thing preventing it from being a complete instrument. Other things I can think of are just nice to have, or features that I'm sure will come with time. They did a great job with it minus this one significant flaw.

[art]

Post by [art] » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:04 pm

There's definitely a few weird browser things.

Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but when you choose an instrument, there's now two layers of default before you can load the instrument.

For instance if I choose Operator in the Instrument list, I then have to choose Operator again in the Preset list the next directory down, rather than just being able to load the first default of Operator. This is a bit redundant imo.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm

It seems to have a much smaller colour range than Push 1 for clips/track schemes. Maybe 50% less as a guess. I'd like to see a wider range for organisational purposes. Most of the oranges and browns are one colour (deep orange) on Push, similar with other colours.

Overall I love the new Push though. I was worried that I was spending all that money on some minor upgrades. Not the case at all...if Push 1 was the prototype, this is the production line version.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:58 pm

The most obvious oversight, the same as Push 1 is complete control over the composition process by giving us control over the arrangement view?!?

JPacker555

Post by JPacker555 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:19 am

emkays wrote:There's really only one major thing at this point, and that's the fact that you can't really use it to play instruments reliably. Dynamic response is all over the map when trying to play anything other than drums or triggered sounds (short stabs vs legato lines/smooth chord changes/etc). I hope they figure a way around this one though since that's the only thing preventing it from being a complete instrument. Other things I can think of are just nice to have, or features that I'm sure will come with time. They did a great job with it minus this one significant flaw.
100% agreed, and pretty disappointed. Comparing Push 2 side by side with my Push, and the Push feels significantly better when playing scales - this should not be the case

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 am

I just bought a push, but I think I will take it back and wait for this issue to be fixed, or I've got 30 days so maybe I just won't open it but I'd be happier if it was out of sight to help me from being out of my mind resisting it. I just don't want to even get into having to be waiting on some ramdom velocities coming along and ruining my experience or my monitors.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Live 9.5

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:34 am

display lag in drumrack mode & incorrect waveforms consistently showing the wrong sound being played....don't understand why the didn't fix before releasing it...considering returning it

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:32 am

RDiiO wrote:display lag in drumrack mode & incorrect waveforms consistently showing the wrong sound being played....don't understand why the didn't fix before releasing it...considering returning it
what was abletons response about this?

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 am

starving student wrote:
RDiiO wrote:display lag in drumrack mode & incorrect waveforms consistently showing the wrong sound being played....don't understand why the didn't fix before releasing it...considering returning it
what was abletons response about this?
this was the last response I got from support......

"Thanks for the reply! A member of our support team has just spoken with the Push developers about this and relayed their response to me. I think you'll be glad to know what they had to say.

The display glitches seen in your video - flatlines, screen flashing black or flickering, and displaying the wrong waveform - are not acceptable. Our developer agree with this and are currently working on improving the behavior.

It should also be noted that this is a software issue, entirely, and not a hardware fault by any means. The display is handled by the software and your CPU, so after rolling out some optimizations in a future update, you should see significant improvement to the behavior.

The issue actually has just been filed as a bug today, and as mentioned, it already has a very high priority for fixing.

I will clarify still, the actual short delay is likely to remain in place, since you don't really need to see the waveform when rolling between two drum sounds extremely quickly. Once everything is optimized, however, it should be a very brief delay only, with no graphical glitches accompanying it.

I hope this helps alleviate some of your concern. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

All the best,

Ableton Support"

so.....after that in the recent beta for 9.5.1 according to the beta release notes it's supposed to be "Improve waveform rendering when switching through tracks and selecting Drum Pads" but it's not still the same issue crazy lag and consistent waveforms being shown incorrectly which is beyond frustrating for a device like this. I believe Push is the best controller on the market and for them to have two years to develop this so it's troubling why they thought a lag and the others issue was ok and people wouldn't notice.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 am

I would really appreciate hearing what they tell you after you contact them again as I'm one of those waiting in the wings, I actually already own my push 2 but I'm keeping it sealed/boxed until I feel comfortable about these issues I'm learning about.