Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Discuss Push with other users.
hyperscientist

Re: Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Post by hyperscientist » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 am

Any more reports form people who tried 9.7 beta? What's the difference in practice? How is it for melodic playing now?

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:19 pm

It is better after the beta firmware update, it also works in 9.6.2 after updating. I haven't A/B'd the difference between push 1&2 but it's worth getting beta just for that.

Cuv

Post by Cuv » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:48 am

thronechild wrote:It is better after the beta firmware update, it also works in 9.6.2 after updating. I haven't A/B'd the difference between push 1&2 but it's worth getting beta just for that.
That sounds promising ..

tkzic

Post by tkzic » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 am

I just did an A/B comparison with Push1 in 9.6.2 against Push2 in 9.7.4 beta.

There is still a difference.

The Push2 response in the beta version has definitely improved some. Push 2 still does not respond to a super light touch. And its slightly more difficult to sustain multiple notes without dropouts than on push1. But not much.

So you have to learn that threshold velocity and stay above it. It takes some getting used to. But Its so much easier to slide from one pad to the next on Push2 compared to Push1. And in that type of playing the pads are more responsive than Push1. I would like it if they gave the same option on push2 to dial the threshold down to the point where it plays itself like Push1.

Push 1, with threshold set to -15 can be played very dynamically. And is easy to play and hold chords. A super light press will sometimes cause pads to go into a repeat mode - but its actually kind of cool - and not really a big deal.

tz.

n1justice

Post by n1justice » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 pm

I also noticed a big improvement with the new beta. However, I'm always unsure which settings I should choose for pad sensitivity and pad gain etc. What are recommended settings, or which settings have you found most comfortable?

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 am

I would say it's much better now! For me, the pads now feels great.

JPacker555

Post by JPacker555 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:22 am

tkzic wrote:I just did an A/B comparison with Push1 in 9.6.2 against Push2 in 9.7.4 beta.

There is still a difference.

The Push2 response in the beta version has definitely improved some. Push 2 still does not respond to a super light touch. And its slightly more difficult to sustain multiple notes without dropouts than on push1. But not much.

So you have to learn that threshold velocity and stay above it. It takes some getting used to. But Its so much easier to slide from one pad to the next on Push2 compared to Push1. And in that type of playing the pads are more responsive than Push1. I would like it if they gave the same option on push2 to dial the threshold down to the point where it plays itself like Push1.

Push 1, with threshold set to -15 can be played very dynamically. And is easy to play and hold chords. A super light press will sometimes cause pads to go into a repeat mode - but its actually kind of cool - and not really a big deal.

tz.
I would agree with your assessment, it has improved a bit but still is not as sensitive as the Push 1. Progress is nice but I hope they continue to get it to feel as good as the original. Obviously there are a lot of cool things about Push 2 but its still a disappointing regression from its predecessor in terms of playability.

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm loving 9.7, and notice a big improvement. I've never played a Push 1 though, so can't speak to how much better or worse it is than Push 2. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Push 2 still misses very light dynamic in Live 9.7, but not a big problem.
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:24 pm

After wiping down the pads with a microfiber cloth to remove the light coating of what ever (As per Tarekith) and the new firmware of 9.7, I am pleased with the sensitivity I'm getting at a setting of 5-5-5..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:33 am

what is your favorite push 2 setting, and who is still getting loud spikes?

kabur glasgow

Post by kabur glasgow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Any comments on the sensitivity and playability of Push 2 on Live 10?

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:57 pm

I personally find pads on 2 much more playable than on 1. I don't get many spikes, but I am a person with a light touch.

kabur glasgow

Post by kabur glasgow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Can anyone else share their experience with Push 2 on Live 10, in relation to the sensitivity and playability of the pads?

I'm thinking of making the upgrade.

Snowbadger

Post by Snowbadger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:47 pm

kabur glasgow wrote:Can anyone else share their experience with Push 2 on Live 10, in relation to the sensitivity and playability of the pads?

I'm thinking of making the upgrade.
Hi Kabur,

I'm a longtime Ableton user but new to Push having just picked up a used Push 2 about a month ago. I specifically waited until after getting the Push 2 to install the Live 10 upgrade. My Live Suite version is 10.0.1 and my Push 2 firmware version is 1.0 Build 62. I found this thread because I'm experiencing some of the same issues that have been noted here by others since November 2015. I have the issue with occasional velocity spikes to 127 on a pad when playing softly (seems like it can be somewhat mitigated by changes to pad settings albeit with trade-offs on sensitivity). I also have the stuck pad issue (specifically with the pad in the far upper left corner) that I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do. I also noticed the stuck pad issue on another pad (fifth pad from left, second row from top) but was (I think) able to get rid of the problem on that pad by pressing down firmly and wiggling the pad back and forth a bit. At least it hasn't returned on that particular pad since I did that but the same technique doesn't seem to work on the pad in the far upper left corner. For the time being I've decided to just live with it since I don't rely on it for live performance and got a pretty good deal on the price for a used unit in otherwise perfect condition. But it is definitely annoying and I really wish there were some sort of fix or tweak available to address these two issues. I never had a Push 1 to compare it to but I have multiple other controllers with pads (mostly Akai and NI gear) and I am otherwise happy enough with the playability and sensitivity range of the Push 2 pads. I've always been more of a keyboard and guitar player so using pads to trigger anything beyond drum or synth pad sounds or as straight clip launchers is still something relatively new to me. For finger drumming I really like the playability of the pads on my Akai MPK249 and MPK Mini MkII. In the meanwhile I'm always watching for announcements of either a Push 3 or a 64-pad Maschine Studio (was really close to pulling the trigger on a Maschine Mk3 but decided to go the Push 2 route for the tight Ableton integration and 64 pad layout).