Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Discuss Push with other users.
RhinoInRio

Re: Anyone else find the Push 2 unplayable?

Post by RhinoInRio » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:33 pm

Great...
Last week I noticed that the pads have different sensitivities. Some are always loud and others are so quiet I almost have to beat them to get a sound.
It is of course most noticeable using melodic sounds as pads or synths. It its definitely the pads, because even if I transpose it is the pad and not the note going whacky.
All in all it is about seven pads that differ drastically from the rest.
I contacted Ableton and they send me a link https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/reset-live/ to reset Live. It didn't help.
I'll keep you updated on the matter.
Cheers

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Has anyone noticed the following behaviour - I'm just gonna copy/paste the bug report I submitted;

Not sure if this is related to Push or Live -I don't have another controller to test.

I like to play plucked instruments (usually made in Zebra), and often pre-bend a note before playing it. I could always do this until recently I've noticed I cannot do it properly.

1: In Note mode, tap the pitchbend strip at the very top while simultaneously tapping a note.
2: I expect the note to START bent two semitones (or whatever the virtual instrument is configured like) so that I can release slowly to the pitchwheel's default central position. Just like you'd do on a guitar to get that lazy feel.
3: even if you tap the pitchwheel a microsecond before a pad, it would always start at the note's unbent pitch and THEN quickly go up in pitch to where I've tapped on the pitchstrip. It is late in other words. Try it again, but wait a second before tapping a pad/note - notice the difference?

edit: confirmed this latency/delay with Ableton.
Last edited by tedlogan on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kabur glasgow

Post by kabur glasgow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:30 am

Ableton Live 9.6b1 is available. The release notes indicate that the problem has still not been addressed. :(

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:35 am

does that indicate that they are still working on the solution?

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:33 pm

starving student wrote:does that indicate that they are still working on the solution?
Yes, I guess. If not, maybe the firmware update has fixed the problem. But they haven't adressed it in the changelog, so. My best guess is that they are working on a fix

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:36 am

Hey guys, we're still working on improving the pads response. Sorry for the delay, hopefully it'll be perfect soon.
Cheers !
J.
Ableton Forum Moderator

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:54 am

thank you for keeping us in the loop, appreciate it!

RhinoInRio

Post by RhinoInRio » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 am

to follow up my post from above:
Ableton sent me a new PUSH2. And it works great. I guess my first one was faulty.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 pm

I have also noticed an issue with my pads. Playing low velocity pad chords and noticed that every now and then one of the notes are being picked up at all (pad not lighting up either.

Had to record a pass a few times until I was happy with it (or ended up manually doing it with the mouse - not ideal).

At what point do I return the device for a replacement?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Have you tried adjusting the settings at all, or is this right out of the box with no tweaking?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:Have you tried adjusting the settings at all, or is this right out of the box with no tweaking?
Right out the box with no tweaking.

But the issue is with individual pads rather than all of them together.

I'll try tweaking the settings to see if it changes anything and will report back :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I just wish aftertouch could play like Push 1's did. At the moment it's so-so when playing a single note and modulating, but as soon as you start playing legato, you often find yourself back to zero aftertouch if you hit the next pad at full velocity, with no way to modulate it from there without having to "reset" it by reducing pressure almost completely, but in a very unnatural-feeling way. It's hard to describe properly, but with Push 1 I didn't have to think about it when playing - it just worked on an intuitive level.

kabur glasgow

Post by kabur glasgow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:52 pm

tedlogan wrote:I just wish aftertouch could play like Push 1's did. At the moment it's so-so when playing a single note and modulating, but as soon as you start playing legato, you often find yourself back to zero aftertouch if you hit the next pad at full velocity, with no way to modulate it from there without having to "reset" it by reducing pressure almost completely, but in a very unnatural-feeling way. It's hard to describe properly, but with Push 1 I didn't have to think about it when playing - it just worked on an intuitive level.
What I can't seem to understand at the moment is, since the physical mechanism of pad-sensing is the same in Push 1 and Push 2 (from tear-down videos I posted previously in this thread), how could things have gone so badly in Push 2? Furthermore, how could they have stayed bad for so long? It's now been three months or so since the Push was released. Very disappointing. Perhaps eyes were taken off the ball in order to focus on Link.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:13 am

I end up asking this allot but only cause i'm immensely interested in push 2, have you asked support about it. To be frank I'm a little worried about these issues and wish there was at least an acknowledgment from ableton about them that went beyond the moderators. are they close to a breakthrough with solving these issues, are they in the phase of discovering solutions or do they already have the solutions and we're just waiting on implementation etc.. ?

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:29 am

starving student wrote:I end up asking this allot but only cause i'm immensely interested in push 2, have you asked support about it. To be frank I'm a little worried about these issues and wish there was at least an acknowledgment from ableton about them that went beyond the moderators. are they close to a breakthrough with solving these issues, are they in the phase of discovering solutions or do they already have the solutions and we're just waiting on implementation etc.. ?
Sir, you are right about you being immensely inetersted in push 2. Well, I am kind of myself, but they have acknowledged the problem already. They even tried to release a temporary/small fix a few beta updates back. Just be patient, I'm sure they are working on it.