Sampling in Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
Papalazarou

Sampling in Push 2

Post by Papalazarou » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi all,

I am very interested in the ability to sample in Push 2, but all the examples I have seen online (Point Blank School of Music is the example which comes to mind) show sampling with a turntable as the source. I don't actually own a turntable or any vinyl (probably a cardinal sin for a dance music producer! :D ) so am I able to sample through something like Spotify, or another source on mu computer? This is probably a really easy question, so my apologies if it is. I am a total noob and really looking forward to receiving my Push 2 tomorrow! (I've had the confirmation from UPS!! :D )

Thanks,
Jamie.

molefonken

Re: Sampling in Push 2

Post by molefonken » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:06 pm

For example, you can throw in.....audio files? Ofcourse there are also ways to record whatever you listens to (spotify, youtube) over to Ableton and therefor also in the Sampler. I guess you were thinking of sampling on the fly? Well, as long as your computer and/or your audio-interface is set up correctly, you can sample most audio from the computer.

I'm not sure if I am advising you to fiddle around in ableton live alot more before you start with your new push 2, but certainly check out the manual and tutorials on youtube to get the basics on how live works. Remember it's just a midi-controller, therefor learn the Live DAW and it's possibilities :)

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Of course, my mistake, I realise Push 2 is just a midi controller, I should have said through Live 9.

What is the correct way to set up my audio interface to allow me to capture samples on the fly from different sources on my computer? Is there a 'quick-start' guide for that kind of thing?

Thanks,
Jamie.

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Actually, I have stumbled across Audio Hijack on the Mac, very useful software which allows you to capture any sound from Spotify, YouTube, anywhere really. The free version is limited to 10 minutes per sample, but for this application it's perfect! :)

boabmatic

Post by boabmatic » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:59 pm

if you are on Mac something like soundflower or AudioHijack can route internal laptop audio to Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQj5qC1_t0

disclaimer :- remember ripping music from spotify etc... into live or an audio file is illegal 8)

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 pm

If there's one thing I will never do Boabmatic, it's break the law....Honest. :evil:

Thank you for your suggestion, I must have read your mind coz I found AudioHijack about 10 minutes before your post! :D