SliceMode on Push 2... Does End Marker exist in Mode?

Discuss Push with other users.
starving student

SliceMode on Push 2... Does End Marker exist in Mode?

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:31 am

when you go into slice mode can you adjust the end marker in addition to the start marker with the knobs for creating loops?

I'm questioning because of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgWgeYJCHU

https://youtu.be/Yf-IID0-prM?t=336

jobinho

Re: SliceMode on Push 2... Does End Marker exist in Mode?

Post by jobinho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:54 am

What this mode needs is a full ADSR envelope.... so badly

Gyu гы

Post by Gyu гы » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 am

I think in slice mode you can only control the start, not the end point.
To edit the end point of a slice you have to edit the start point of the next slice, if you see what I mean.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Gyu ?? wrote:I think in slice mode you can only control the start, not the end point.
To edit the end point of a slice you have to edit the start point of the next slice, if you see what I mean.
Yes - the "Nudge" control, which is the start marker of each slice. It can slow you down slightly having to play/select the next pad to adjust its start (Nudge) to alter the end of the previous pad, and then having to go back and forth between the two pads in case you cannot quite tame a click. It's rare that I need to adjust the end point of a slice though, so no big deal for me.
jobinho wrote:What this mode needs is a full ADSR envelope.... so badly
For now you'll need to Convert to Drum rack, and then change each slice to Classic Mode.

I see slicing as this fantastic quick sketch/ideastarter/musicalMining/panning-for-gold tool. As soon as I have something that's responding well to the slicing, I'll convert to drumrack to fine-tweak each slice from there, ADSR-editing, add EQ/Compression etc to each.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:20 pm

not a good move on this one, they need to add the 'end' maker knob asap, and keep the nudge... many of us like to make loops before we slice, and we don't want transient slicing all of the time for everything, plus using nudge after slicing the loop can create great variations on a loop for example, looping the in between spaces of loops with gridsnaps off and on.
c'mon ableton .....I'm looking forward to an improvement in this it's kind of important, and not to mention curing the awkward workflow of the this aspect of the slicing mode.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 pm

I might be mistaken, be I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. You can adjust the master Start and End points independent of Nudge, the latter which only moves each slice's starting point.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:48 pm

tedlogan wrote:I might be mistaken, be I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. You can adjust the master Start and End points independent of Nudge, the latter which only moves each slice's starting point.
really, why are they adjusting end points with the nudge then?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:11 pm

starving student wrote:
tedlogan wrote:I might be mistaken, be I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. You can adjust the master Start and End points independent of Nudge, the latter which only moves each slice's starting point.
really, why are they adjusting end points with the nudge then?
See, this is what I meant by "misunderstanding". I'm not sure exactly what you mean - hence there possibly being a misunderstanding.

This is what I think you mean, judging by the wording of your first post and follow-up:

You want to define an overall area (a loop) to slice. You can do that with the start and end markers. Nudge only affects each slice's marker point. You can also turn off autoslicing, define an area of the sample you wanna slice up, let it play and slice in real-time, to slice it exactly how you want. You can still alter the overall loop after slicing. Slicing is not destructive. It's all extremely dynamic.

You can also possibly mean that no, you don't wan to do that, you want to nudge each individual slice's end point. You can only do this by nudging (moving the slice marker) of the next slice.

In any case, it all works really really fluidly.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:15 pm

ok thanks Ted I believe that's what I'm wanting, the videos made it seem like this wasn't possible, phew.... I thought it was kind of a strange thing to leave out, glad they didn't. :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:20 pm

No worries - I've made sure right now with Push 2 just in case :)

You can totally adjust the overall loop's start/end at any point. You can delete any slices any time. You can make your own in real time or nudge and fine tune Live's marker placement.

It's just great, really.

edit - not tried this before - but you can easily insert a slice between 2 slices (just now one slice in the middle of it all was too long and needed breaking up)by turning pad slicing back on, play that slice by hitting its pad, and hitting any empty pads in real time to slice that up further. Very nice.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:09 am

excellent, and thank you I appreciate it.