Can I use Push drum grid mode on external MIDI gear???

Discuss Push with other users.
Skullrattler

Can I use Push drum grid mode on external MIDI gear???

Post by Skullrattler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:07 pm

This is the primary reason I got the Push (1) for and I'm currently disappointed... I don't want to get sucked into using virtual instruments and plug-ins as sound sources and I have some nice MIDI hardware i want to use with Live being the sequencer and sampler/FX processor.
I just want to use the very handy drum grid with the 16 pads to sequence my xbase 999 along with my other MIDI gear.... but the drum grid mode is apparently only available for sequencing Live's own drum racks???? why??? :(

Can't I enter drum grid mode and assign MIDI notes to the 16 pads on a MIDI track? Because sequencing drums with the normal note mode where drum sounds are assigned to a keyboard is no fun at all...

Is there some workaround with Max for Live?

tom_d

Re: Can I use Push drum grid mode on external MIDI gear???

Post by tom_d » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Skullrattler wrote:This is the primary reason I got the Push (1) for and I'm currently disappointed... I don't want to get sucked into using virtual instruments and plug-ins as sound sources and I have some nice MIDI hardware i want to use with Live being the sequencer and sampler/FX processor.
I just want to use the very handy drum grid with the 16 pads to sequence my xbase 999 along with my other MIDI gear.... but the drum grid mode is apparently only available for sequencing Live's own drum racks???? why??? :(

Can't I enter drum grid mode and assign MIDI notes to the 16 pads on a MIDI track? Because sequencing drums with the normal note mode where drum sounds are assigned to a keyboard is no fun at all...

Is there some workaround with Max for Live?
I reckon you could do this by adding an "External Instrument" plugin to each of the 16 slots in the drum rack and configuring it to use your MIDI output, then set each slot to send the appropriate note... I've used a similar trick to use drum mode for drum machine VSTs
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Cool, if that works it means it is possible to make the ultimate drum machine by triggering various sound sources from one drum rack! :mrgreen:

Thanks, can't wait to try it out.

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Yes you can do this, depending on hardware. Push 2 controls my Electribe SX2, on which the drum pads are set to default MIDI ch 10. I did this:

Make a new MIDI track with Drum Rack with "MIDI From>Push 2 Input"
Make a new External Instrument track
Route the MIDI from your Drum Rack MIDI track to the External Instrument track
Route the "MIDI To" of your External Instrument to whichever hardware MIDI connection leads to your drum machine (in my case ch10).
Make sure your drum machine is set to receive hardware MIDI input from Ableton.
Select the Drum Rack track, which should appear on Push as 16 pad grid and step sequencer.

Of course, it's not really necessary to do this with an Electribe as it already has nice pads. :) But if your drum machine has no pads or you want to use Push 2 Step Sequencer, then the above setup should work. HTH.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone