How Should Preset Mapping with 3rd Party Plugins Work?

Discuss Push with other users.
Teenage Engineering OP-2

How Should Preset Mapping with 3rd Party Plugins Work?

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:29 am

Hi everyone,

I believe I've gone through the relevant sections in the manual and did some forum searches. Some things either aren't just working properly or (more likely) I'm misunderstanding how they should work. It all relates to loading Native Instruments (AU) patches.

1. To map 3rd party plugins (AU) to Push 2, namely Native Instruments' patches through Komplete Kontrol, is saving it as an Instrument Rack the best way? When I save it via "Save as a Default Configuration," the mappings are saved, but it loads an empty Komplete Kontrol. And when I save via "Save Preset," the mappings aren't saved.
2. If done through an Instrument Rack, should you leave the Macro slots blank? When you change presets in Komplete Kontrol the Macro values don't change to reflect the new values, so Macros seem to have diminished utility with 3rd party plugins.
3. Unlike how some other 3rd party plugins load, is the only way to browse Native Instrument plugin presets on Push 2 to save each one as a separate Instrument Rack?

Thank you.

jestermgee

Re: How Should Preset Mapping with 3rd Party Plugins Work?

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:38 am

2. If done through an Instrument Rack, should you leave the Macro slots blank? When you change presets in Komplete Kontrol the Macro values don't change to reflect the new values, so Macros seem to have diminished utility with 3rd party plugins.
3. Unlike how some other 3rd party plugins load, is the only way to browse Native Instrument plugin presets on Push 2 to save each one as a separate Instrument Rack?

Pretty much.

I have some VST preset packs on my site and for Komplete 10 you can get the preset pack for all instruments Here

Note tho this is all for VST versions, not AU.

Teenage Engineering OP-2

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 am

jestermgee wrote: Pretty much.

I have some VST preset packs on my site and for Komplete 10 you can get the preset pack for all instruments Here

Note tho this is all for VST versions, not AU.
Thank you for confirming.

I did see AudioModder mentioned when I searched the forum. If I decide to use VSTs, it'll certainly be a consideration.

Teenage Engineering OP-2

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:50 am

There's related but separate issue I've been trying to figure a workaround for.

When accessing Native Instruments plugins (AU) via Komplete Kontrol, parameter values for Push mappings do not update fully on the Push display when choosing new presets—the value changes, though the circle graphic does not. I noticed if I loaded some of these synths through Reaktor instead, the graphic does change accordingly. However, it does not seem like Komplete Kontrol is necessarily the problem, as Massive loaded outside Komplete Kontrol also does not allow the circle graphic to update upon preset change.

Is there a way for the circle graphic to update upon preset changes while still using Komplete Kontrol? It's disappointing this way since it no longer feels like a fully digital preset recall system, more like working with traditional hardware.

Komplete Kontrol appears to be particularly opaque as it also blocks other data as well: mapped parameter values to Push are more informatively titled and adjustable—like showing initials (LP, HP, BP) for a filter type selection instead of simply numerical values from 0 to 1.0 with a range of values in between representing the filter types—when the plugin is loaded outside of Komplete Kontrol.

db120

Post by db120 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:55 pm

I joined this group and was defriended the next day without posting a thing. Is this because my FB was empty (I don't use it)?

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Thats weird, no one has been defreinded. Please try again you are very welcome to join the group :)

adejdickson

Post by adejdickson » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am

There are also a number of 3rd party plugins mapped to Ableton Push on www.timbresandtones.com - great for users of Toontrack eZDrummer, Superior Drummer, ezKeys, UVI Vintage Vault - as a marketplace you can post your own creations too if you have created them.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 am

Here is some good sites for vst Push racks:

My group, where there are hundreds of Vst/ Vsti racks for Push.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbletonPushVstRacks/ or if you dont like FB. http://www.lovelight.biz/

Audiomodder, who has the very best Native Instruments Komplete Push racks.
https://www.audiomodder.com/

Freelance Sound, who has the very big Omnisphere 2 vst racks for Push
https://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.ph ... sh-browser

login

Post by login » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:54 pm

The problem here is Komplete Kontrol software, it adds a layer between Live and the plugins, the way it presents parameters to live is different than a single plugin. If you are not using a Kontrol keyboard I would use the plugin without Komplete kontrol so it is easier to navigate presets and load them in Live, also this way you could use the "configure" button in device view to map the parameters to Push.