Fold Melodic Step Sequencer/Elektron-style "trigs"?

Discuss Push with other users.
recyclinglostcities

Fold Melodic Step Sequencer/Elektron-style "trigs"?

Post by recyclinglostcities » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 pm

So I've had my Push 2 for just under a month now, and I absolutely love it and it has completely changed my workflow. After spending the last 4 years or so working pretty exclusively with hardware, with the core of my setup controlled by various Elektron sequencers, Push 2 feels incredibly familiar in most ways, and I'm seriously debating selling off all of my pre-Overbridge Elektron gear and doing all of my sequencing via Live/Push.

However, one thing that drives me mad is trying to find notes across the melodic step sequencer, especially lower velocity notes that can appear very faint on the pads, and it makes me long for the simplicity of just holding a single step and making adjustments, such as Elektron's "trig" system. Is there any way this can be done, either natively or via M4L or third party scripting? Alternatively, being able to fold the melodic step sequencer would at least eliminate the hassle of scrolling all over Push just to find the note or step you wish you alter, but from what I can tell from googling this is not possible yet.

If there's no way to accomplish these ideas as of yet, anyone have some tips for being more efficient with the melodic step sequencer? I find myself reverting back to the mouse and keyboard too often out of frustration, and it takes me out of things a bit.

djadonis206

Re: Fold Melodic Step Sequencer/Elektron-style "trigs"?

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Thumbs up - great idea
Ableton | Elektron

Music

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:45 pm

Folding melodic steps sounds great,
Thumbs up!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:52 am

I think the screen should be utilized to show midi notes on a piano roll grid with encoders providing note level parameter adjustment note length, veloc, nudge, pitch, scroll etc. Using the pads to access note location now is less appealing with the screen potential for quick note overview and selection.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:31 am

irrelevance wrote:I think the screen should be utilized to show midi notes on a piano roll grid with encoders providing note level parameter adjustment note length, veloc, nudge, pitch, scroll etc. Using the pads to access note location now is less appealing with the screen potential for quick note overview and selection.
This would be amazing! But I am afraid the screen would be too small!
Actually maybe not its bigger than an mpc 1000 if I remember correctly

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Tarekith gave the heads up on this:

http://sigabort.co/p2d_products.html

Well I'm excited 8)

recyclinglostcities

Post by recyclinglostcities » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:04 am

Bumping this, as it hasn't yet been answered. I'm assuming none of these ideas are currently implemented. So...anyone know if they could be added via a third party, or how effective it might be to bug Ableton about it?

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 am

Yes please!!!

bwax

Post by bwax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:13 pm

+1

I would love to see some alternative ways to step sequence melodic ideas, and ones similar to Elektron machines.

Basically, just input melodic steps similarly to sequencing steps for a drumrack. Then, to change pitch/note, hold down the note/pad and twist a knob to find the desired pitch. Like on Elektron machines.

Would be so much faster than scrolling all over the grid using Page/Octave arrows.

Please Ableton!

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 pm

+1

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Another +1

My opinion for it:

ENCODERS (5 part polyphonic sequencing)
Encoder 1: Pitch 1
Encoder 2: Pitch 2
Encoder 3: Pitch 3
Encoder 4: Pitch 4
Encoder 5: Pitch 5
Encoder 6: Length
Encoder 7: Nudge
Encoder 8: Velocity

PADS:
The two top rows are the 16 steps for the sequencer, pressing a pad inputs a step.
(You can duplicate steps with Push's duplicate button. This copy's all the midi note data as well as the automation currently active for that step.)
The pad rows beneath that represent a keyboard, with dedicated buttons for octave up / down, slide, length, velocity and step sequencer length + pages (if using 32 or 64 steps for example). Of course, you should also be able to copy and paste a whole page.

Manual input: select a note (pitch), length, octave and velocity. The next pad from the top row pads (16 steps) you press becomes that selection. Push remembers the last edited selection so you don't need to enter the velocity / length every time again.

Step record mode: press a "step record" button, and the next notes you input from push or a keyboard become steps 1, 2, 3, ...

A separate (toggle) button lets you go into edit mode: now the sequencer pads become a selection area, when pressing a pad selects a step. You can quickly change the corresponding macro's with the encoders now.

So yeah, looks a lot like the Elektrons :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 am

What about this design Kepler-16? Requires MFL.
Make some music!

feytus

Post by feytus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 am

Any updates on this? Step sequencing on Push 2 is a bit finicky!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm

I’d still love to see at least the ability to copy and paste all automation from one step to another.

I know this will require an API / LOM update from Ableton. There is currently a way in the API to duplicate an entire clip with automation in the LOM.

There is also a command to duplicate an entire “region” but it’s limited to Note information (Pitch, Velocity Length).

We need the API expanded to be able to copy a region “with” automation.

The other thing to mimic trigs is to have the automation start level hold until the next trig(note). This part can be mimicked via creative Max for Live use but the first problem cannot.

Pretty please? You’d get whole new user group (Elektron Customers) buying and using Push. It’s a good marketing move I promise.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Aleksandr_Sudin

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 pm

Airyck wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm
I know this will require an API / LOM update from Ableton.
Can you recommend please, where is it possible to read more about Live API?
Idea is bomb!