Push 2 not lighting up ...

Discuss Push with other users.
amere

Re: Push 2 not lighting up ...

Post by amere » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 pm

amere wrote:Having same issue on a mac. (10.11.3) ableton 9.6 (also tried with latest beta 9.6.1b2)
  • blank screen until I hit mix button and or session button
    instruments do not show unless I press a 2nd row button
    no mix volume showing
    no wave form loading in simpler
    firmware says version 0.0.0 (that can't be right?)
4 days, no reply from support.

UPDATE: Just received email from support. They said "Push 2 might have some problems with certain USB 3.0 ports. If you have a powered USB 2.0 hub at home, please try connecting your Push via this hub to see if it helps. If the problem persists, please send us a Status Report while Push is connected to your computer."

Connecting to my powered hub didn't work, so I sent them a Status Report. Will report back any updates.

amere

Post by amere » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 pm

amere wrote:
amere wrote:Having same issue on a mac. (10.11.3) ableton 9.6 (also tried with latest beta 9.6.1b2)
  • blank screen until I hit mix button and or session button
    instruments do not show unless I press a 2nd row button
    no mix volume showing
    no wave form loading in simpler
    firmware says version 0.0.0 (that can't be right?)
4 days, no reply from support.

UPDATE: Just received email from support. They said "Push 2 might have some problems with certain USB 3.0 ports. If you have a powered USB 2.0 hub at home, please try connecting your Push via this hub to see if it helps. If the problem persists, please send us a Status Report while Push is connected to your computer."

Connecting to my powered hub didn't work, so I sent them a Status Report. Will report back any updates.

UPDATE:: Ridiculously Simple Solution that fixed it, per Ableton Support:

The problem with your Push 2 is that it's set up twice in Live's preferences under Link/MIDI -> Control Surface. Please remove the lower entry and keep only the other one. To refresh, you can also deselect all of them and just re-select one entry.

Everything is fixed now. Not sure how I got 2 push 2's setup in my Midi settings, but removing the 2nd one fixed it. Mix is back, sample wave is back, all is good. Hopefully this may fix it for some of you.

cheers,
mere

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting that up mate. Turns out that was my problem as well.

Obvious question is how did that happen to both of us? I've never touched that setup.

Edit: Actually it was worse for me. I had 4 entries - 2 for my old Push which I sold and 2 for my Push 2. Once I deleted everything but one Push 2 line and updated the input and output fields my Push 2 came back to life.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:14 pm

It could possibly be caused when you unplug push and plug it into another USB port before windows unloads the drivers correctly. This can create another MIDI port for the controller (may be called PUSH-1) and then Live will see this as a "new" controller and create a new port for it. I have had that occur with my launchpad once when I switched it from one port to another while Live was in use. It was installed as Launchpad-1 and added as a new control surface.

Glad it was a simple fix for you tho.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 am

That could have been the cause after the initial problem I guess.

Not sure what caused it to stop working before I moved it to a different USB port though.

It's interesting that amere seems to have had something similar on the beta as well. Obviously it hasn't happened to everyone and he's also on a Mac, but it's a strange coincidence. Makes me wonder if the additional entries were created automatically somehow, without moving to a different USB port.

Now that I know it can happen though it's a very easy fix if it happens again.

4T

Post by 4T » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 am

jestermgee wrote:
I wish changing the suggested setting was a simple fix for me too :(

Just recieved my replacement Push 2 and it still won't play nice on my Windows 7 my set-up.
Former MPC & Maschine User.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 am

4T wrote:
jestermgee wrote:
I wish changing the suggested setting was a simple fix for me too :(

Just recieved my replacement Push 2 and it still won't play nice on my Windows 7 my set-up.
Yeah if you have 2 units and neither will work i'd be looking more at the PC/Software side.

4T

Post by 4T » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:50 am

I seem to be out of options. I've tried every single suggestion found on these forums aswell as Ableton online. I'm in touch with support but I'm not getting my hopes up, seems something just isn't right. No one else seems to be having the 'Push2DisplayProcess.exe has stopped working' error which I constanly get and causes the Push 2 screen to go blank but leaving the rest of the unit lit up.

I've never had connectivity problems with any other hardware before (I've previously owned both MPC Ren & srill use Maschine MK2).

I'm very disapointed to be staring at Push 2 and not much else.
Former MPC & Maschine User.

Temas1

Post by Temas1 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 am

I've been having the same problem on and off since it arrived about 5 months ago. Maybe once or twice a week it takes me 1/2 an hour to get the Macbook Pro to find Push 2, i.e - when I go to Audio/MIDI setup, Push 2 is greyed out.

I haven't 100% nailed exactly why, but out of the suggestions posted so far I agree that it seems to work better plugged into a USB 2.0 hub, not USB 3.0. My dell monitor has a couple of USB 2 ports and Push seems to be more reliable going through there than having its own dedicated USB 3 route. I have also just noticed I had Push listed twice in my preferences. So it could be that.

I will report back if I rule those two suggestions out.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 am

If you are on PC try disable antivirus. I had AVG kill the push display process a few times so uninstalled it.

Temas1

Post by Temas1 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am

Ok, so after it didn't work again this morning, I can rule out the USB 2.0 theory and evidently deleting one of the two Push devices listed in Live's preferences panel also did nothing.

This morning the way I finally got it working was to, in this order - 1) Unplug USB cable from back of Push, 2) Unplug mains cable from Push, 3) Plug USB cable back in, 4) Plug mains cable back in.

But I don't believe this will always be the solution. And it also doesn't excuse the issue, which is that these devices are faulty

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 27, 2016 12:09 am

Temas1 wrote: But I don't believe this will always be the solution. And it also doesn't excuse the issue, which is that these devices are faulty
Not sure you can say Push2 as a product is faulty. Apart from Antivirus killing my Pushdisplayprocess.exe I have never had an issue with Push MKI or MKII and have only seen a trickle of users having some kind of issue at all.

There must be some rhyme or reason why it is not working for you. I'm not a MAC user so not really across the whole MAC OS but what OS are you running? The latest El Captain seems to be causing a number of users grief with all kinds of devices especially around the whole USB2/3 port thing. I have been reading reports on the Numark forums they have identified MACs having a bit of an issue at the moment with USB ports and are recommending users get a thunderbolt to USB adapter as a workaround at the moment because that seems to work more reliably. Also over at Serato their software is having all kinds of fails with the latest OS release.

One reason I stick with PC, I know exactly how they work.

B00M

Post by B00M » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Perhaps this will help people who have trouble getting past the logo screen on the Push 2 with Live 9.7.5 on Windows 10.

Interestingly, the Push 2 actually worked because Melodics (http://www.melodics.com) successfully activated the controller, lit up the correct pads, and played fine. So the Push 2 hardware wasn't dead.

Then, I noticed that even though nothing but the logo was visible on the Push 2, Live still allowed me to load a drum rack and then play the individual instruments with the Push 2 even though the pads themselves weren't lit. (Oddly, it loaded the rack into the bottom two rows of 8 pads rather than the usual 4x4 pad block configuration; this changed once the display problem was fixed - see below)

So, then on to make sure the Push 2 was connected to a USB 2.0 port, not USB 3.0, and of course make sure the USB is inserted completely into the back of the Push 2. No joy, yet.

Then on to Live Preferences/ Link MIDI tab to make sure there was only one instance of the Push 2 Control Surface listed. If you have more than one, this is a known problem for getting past the logo-only display. I only had one line, but output showed "Push 2 (Port 2)" which I deselected and selected "Push 2." Again, no joy, yet.

At this point I consulted Ableton's instructions here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... rolsurface, and made sure that Windows Device Manager was showing the Push 2 properly, and it was.

So now, maybe it's a graphics problem since the Push 2 uses your graphics card driver to actually manage the display. So, even though my graphics card (Nvidia Geoforce GTX 980) is supposed to update its driver automatically, I went through the process of updating the driver manually.

This worked! The Push 2 graphics are back, and everything is lighting and working properly.

Here's my latest guess as to what happened: At some point after Windows Update downloaded and installed updates to Windows 10, the old driver for the graphics card stopped working with the Push 2 display and needed to be updated to be compatible with the latest Windows updates.

Don't know, but if all else fails, try updating your graphics card driver and see if that helps. At least it will be a piece of information to give to Ableton support if you have to go that route.

technofunk

Post by technofunk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:38 pm

ok so same thing is happening with me. but here's something interesting; it only happens on some projects. if I start a new session / project it turns of just fine. Very strange.