Maschine users TO NEW Push users discussion

Discuss Push with other users.
4T

Maschine users TO NEW Push users discussion

Post by 4T » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:53 pm

I just wanted to start a thread as I'm sure there a many like me who have made the switch from Maschine (in my case MK2) to Push 2. I mainly want to highlight things I was used to on Maschine and with the help of other users, find ways to make the transition smoother if possible.

I'm trying to focus on Maschine features NOT in PUSH 2/Ableton (or workarounds for the lack of said features) and NOT the other way around. This will save us former Maschine users scratching our heads looking for certain things in Ableton/Push when they might not exist or bring light to certain work arounds that we may not be aware of)

For example to start with:
1 Maschine >> could change pad colors per sound with kits. In Push 2, you cant change colors per pads (Push) within the drum rack ie Kicks are red pads, snares are yellow pads etc.

2 Saving 3rd party presets to Maschines browser was as simple as saving the instrument to NI format. In Push 2 (Ableton) VSTi instrument must be grouped to an Instrument first and then saved and organised outside of Ableton (otherwise all presets are lumped together across instruments).

3 Maschines tagging feature for sound type etc for 3rd party inst (and pretty much everything else) doesn't exist in Ableton. :(

4 Maschine allows pads to be quickly duplicated by simply holding duplicate & then hitting 2 pads. [UPDATE- It does as pointed out to me below, however it's not as 'sharp' as Maschine. Push 2 seems to lag a bit when doing it several times in quick succession)

5 Maschine (and pretty much most other DAWS) let you hide unused plug-ins from the menu's. A simple tick/untick option in preferences please Ableton?

6 Maschine lets you map out pages of macros for VST's etc where as Ableton caps macro assignments per inst/fx to 8 (tho in Ableton you can map more than one control per macro).

What else do you guys miss from Maschine since coming over to Ableton & Push 2?
Last edited by 4T on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former MPC & Maschine User.

Jbvdb

Re: Maschine users TO NEW Push users discussion

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:51 am

You can duplicate pads and clips from push 2!

4T

Post by 4T » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:23 pm

In Ableton, apparently there's no simple way to create a drum kit using the drum rack and then save the kit WITH samples to a folder outside the current live set?

This seems like a very basic thing to me that I've been used to since the early MPC days (save kit with samples). I used this a lot with Maschine too.

I'm not a fan of just sticking all samples into a single folder and have a kit file 'point' to them. Causes problems with files with similar names aswell as maintenance of my sound libray (ie getting rid of unwanted kits and there related samples etc).

I was really surprised that the closest thing in Ableton to this elementary command is to open a new empty set, load the kit into it and then collect all & save to a new folder. Really??

Unintuitive to say the least. A simple save kit/rack with samples (to anywhere) would imo be very welcome.

Anyone else agree or know of any workarounds?

I'm new to Ableton & Push so I could be missing something...

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 am

In all racks there is a small floppy disk looking icon, click that, name your rack Robert is your fathers brother, your rack is saved as a preset in your user library! Not that unintuitive now is it!?

4T

Post by 4T » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:52 am

Jbvdb wrote:In all racks there is a small floppy disk looking icon, click that, name your rack Robert is your fathers brother, your rack is saved as a preset in your user library! Not that unintuitive now is it!?
With all due respect you've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say that I didn't know how to save a drum rack file preset to my user library.

In Ableton it is NOT possible to create a Drum Rack and then save the rack [kit] file and samples for that kit alone to a new folder on my desktop [or wherever else I choose]. Ableton offers collect ALL & save options which combines all samples from multiple drum racks [and other audio in a session] to a single samples folder.

If I'm wrong [and you know how], I'm all ears.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 am

No, you are correct, you cannot save samples from a drum rack (or Sampler/Simpler) into a seperate folder. Collect All and Save is the only option.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 pm

My bad I did misunderstand!
I do not see any need for my uses to do what you are asking for as I wouldn't use my samples in anything besides live
Sorry

4T

Post by 4T » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:57 pm

These aren't complaints, just observations that myself & other Maschine users will notice when transitioning to Push 2.

Here are some more things I miss from my Maschine hardware that I hope can be introduced to Push 2 in future updates:

>Cant open VST GUI from Push 2
>Can't save (CTRL+S) from Push 2 (was a frequent habit during beat making on maschine)
>No 64 notes resolution for note repeat (for those maschine gun trills) in Push 2
>Can't skip bar navigate during real time record (ie bar bck or forward during a 4 bar loop whilst recording)
>No 16 level velocity in Push 2 to spread vel across pads
>Cant delete only a section of notes when real time recording from Push 2. Can only delete all midi notes or the pad sound entirely)
>Maschine has far more intuitive metronome options (eg only during record options etc)
>Cant view beat/bars counter from Push 2

Some of the above may be possible that I'm unaware of. To my knowledge they are not.

**When I say real time recording I just mean not using step mode