Push 1 - Arrange Record taking priority of the Record button

Discuss Push with other users.
Johnisfaster

Push 1 - Arrange Record taking priority of the Record button

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:07 am

So if I start recording into arrange view I can no longer use the record button on Push to start and stop clip recording. Is there a way around this other than using another midi controller to start and stop session recording?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Stromkraft

Re: Push 1 - Arrange Record taking priority of the Record button

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:So if I start recording into arrange view I can no longer use the record button on Push to start and stop clip recording. Is there a way around this other than using another midi controller to start and stop session recording?
That's not how it works for me.

Version?
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 pm

...same problem here...you don't have this behaviour, stromkraft?...so while doing arrangement recording you are able to use the record button on push to start clip recording???...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:47 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...same problem here...you don't have this behaviour, stromkraft?...so while doing arrangement recording you are able to use the record button on push to start clip recording???...

Ahh, you mean while doing another recording? I thought after this was done already.

I'm not sure of that. I'm not sure how that would work. That would be nice though. Can Live do this at all? I'm pretty sure it does not work recording in the same track both in Arrangement and Session anyway
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:42 pm

...before it was possible to toggle arrangement recording via push it was possible to use the record button to record clips while recording into arrangement!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...before it was possible to toggle arrangement recording via push it was possible to use the record button to record clips while recording into arrangement!...
I just verified I can record into Arrangement on one track, then move into another armed track in Session and activate the recording of a clip there. Naturally this is also recorded to Arrangement as well. This means I end up with 2 clips, one in Session and one in Arrangement.

With recording into Arrangement here I mean clips playing in Session. I don't have 2 MIDI sources to try with.
Make some music!

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
scheffkoch wrote:...before it was possible to toggle arrangement recording via push it was possible to use the record button to record clips while recording into arrangement!...
I just verified I can record into Arrangement on one track, then move into another armed track in Session and activate the recording of a clip there. Naturally this is also recorded to Arrangement as well. This means I end up with 2 clips, one in Session and one in Arrangement.

With recording into Arrangement here I mean clips playing in Session. I don't have 2 MIDI sources to try with.
does your process involve the buttons they are talking about?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:21 am

starving student wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

does your process involve the buttons they are talking about?
Obviously. Other things in the setup inside Live can affect how this plays out.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 am

...strange...when i hit the record button while doing arrangement recording clip recording begins but arrangement recording stops...i just want the arrangement recording to continue while i hit the record button to enable clip recording...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:32 am

scheffkoch wrote:...strange...when i hit the record button while doing arrangement recording clip recording begins but arrangement recording stops...i just want the arrangement recording to continue while i hit the record button to enable clip recording...
I think the key may be how the tracks are set up or/and what you do prior to this. I should note that in my preferences transport doesn't start with Record it needs Play as well.

One thing I've done is that I have selected a clip slot to record into. Did you do that?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:39 am

...i didn't "record enable" the channel strip, i just selected it with my push...will try tonight if that has any influence on the behaviour...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 am

My problem is when I'm recording into arrange view I can no longer use the record button on my Push 1 to record into session. When recording into arrange view the record button is flashing and if I push it it stops the arrange recording.
Whether the track has record armed or just selected for recording with push has no affect on this behavior. The preference option to start or not start playback when pressing arrange record has no affect on this behavior. I'd really love to find a way to keep arrange view recording while I still use the session record button at will. As it is I have to use a separate midi controller mapped to session record to achieve this.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:42 am

....yep...same problem here...actually i don't care if i can toggle arrangement recording from push, i just want the "old" behaviour back...an option would be nice...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:49 am

Johnisfaster wrote:My problem is when I'm recording into arrange view I can no longer use the record button on my Push 1 to record into session. When recording into arrange view the record button is flashing and if I push it it stops the arrange recording.
What's your preferences for Recording?
Make some music!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:My problem is when I'm recording into arrange view I can no longer use the record button on my Push 1 to record into session. When recording into arrange view the record button is flashing and if I push it it stops the arrange recording.
What's your preferences for Recording?
I've tried all settings that I could in the preferences it makes no difference. If you aren't experiencing this problem I'm curious what version of live you are using.

So while you are recording into arrange view if you push the red circle on your push it fires clip recording without ending arrange record?