Push 2 - per step automation in drum racks

Discuss Push with other users.
Klepa

Push 2 - per step automation in drum racks

Post by Klepa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:53 am

I´ve watched many videos about per step automation in drumracks (Push 2), but it doesn´t work for me the way it is shown there in some cases.
I load a drumkit from the ableton library and put in some steps in the step-sequenzer. Then I press one step and would like to automate i.e. the pitch (or whatever is in the settings of the corresponding drumcell). Push 2 shows me only "Nudge", "Length", "Fine" and "Velocity". In the lower knob-row no more selection is possible. Push 2 is in the "Device"-mode.
A few times I had more parameters and it worked like described.
I would like to know, what am I doing wrong or on what it depends if parameters are selectable for step automation.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Tarekith

Re: Push 2 - per step automation in drum racks

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 am

Do you have the Automation button lit on Push?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Klepa

Post by Klepa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:34 am

Yes, the automation button is lit.

Another automation-problem: I would like to automate the new transpose-function (9.6.1) of a drumpad.
I arm the automation button, press record and turn the knob. No automation is recorded. Maybe this is not possible.

As you can see, I don´t get along very well with this automation-thing :wink:

But I would like to.

Joe Panicker

Post by Joe Panicker » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:36 pm

I am able to do pitch automation on an individual pad like you said. Don't know why you are not able to.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:44 am

Joe Panicker wrote:I am able to do pitch automation on an individual pad like you said. Don't know why you are not able to.
Please elaborate.
Make some music!

phil71x

Post by phil71x » Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 pm

When you are in the drum sequencer (with the Drum Rack activated*)
1) click and hold on an active step/pad
2) put the display in Automation Mode**
3) turn the encoder of the corresponding parameter to change its value for the step

* very important (the drum rack has to be selected on the top left corner of the display)
if for exemple the kick is selected on the display (not on the 8x8 matrix), only the Note Settings mode is accesible!
** there are two mode on the display: a) Note Settings and b) Automation
to switch between them click on the corresponding button at the bottom left corner of the display

Note that the Automation button don't need to be lit for per step automation. It has to be lit only for realtime automation recording.

I recommend the online course 'Push 2 - Explained & Explored' by Thavius Beck (https://youtu.be/26UkC7rr8RA)

lsajk

Post by lsajk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Klepa wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:53 am
I´ve watched many videos about per step automation in drumracks (Push 2), but it doesn´t work for me the way it is shown there in some cases.
I load a drumkit from the ableton library and put in some steps in the step-sequenzer. Then I press one step and would like to automate i.e. the pitch (or whatever is in the settings of the corresponding drumcell). Push 2 shows me only "Nudge", "Length", "Fine" and "Velocity". In the lower knob-row no more selection is possible. Push 2 is in the "Device"-mode.
A few times I had more parameters and it worked like described.
I would like to know, what am I doing wrong or on what it depends if parameters are selectable for step automation.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Hey I know this is an old thread but I'm facing this problem today wondering if you or anyone found a solution.

I can confirm with my experience that the sequence automation works normally if I'm working in session mode in Ableton, but if I'm working in arrangement mode holding down the pad no longer brings up any reaction on the screen.

phantomasmc

Post by phantomasmc » Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 am

same problem in arrangement view... it just works in sessionmode to make step automations...

Nekz

Post by Nekz » Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 am

Is seems to be a simple task..... I really can´t understand why is not possible to just copy the clip with per step automation from session view to the arrangement :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :|

AhziRa

Post by AhziRa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:38 pm

Hello friends, I was having the same issue where for some reason I wasn't able to generate per-step automation on individual pads. The fix for me was adding a new device, holding a selected pad and automating it from the device. Then when I went back through the different automation views like mix/device/clip, single note automation worked fine. Good Luck fellow travelers. The Force is with you.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:35 pm

AhziRa wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:38 pm
Hello friends, I was having the same issue where for some reason I wasn't able to generate per-step automation on individual pads. The fix for me was adding a new device, holding a selected pad and automating it from the device. Then when I went back through the different automation views like mix/device/clip, single note automation worked fine. Good Luck fellow travelers. The Force is with you.
Which Live version are you using?
Ableton Forum Moderator