Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by tom_d » Mon May 16, 2016 2:28 pm

phakju wrote:Mh .. I'd like to have two blank spaces in one of the banks for Uhbik-A. Mainly to ensure MIX knob is in each bank at the same place.

If I follow the documentation a "" = "" should do it (at least for one blank space). However, it does not. I cannot access the bank with the "" = "". Any ideas?
Could be that there is a bug with adding blank parameters in the new Ubermap, I don't actually use this feature myself much, so will check it out and get it fixed if there is an issue! For now avoid blank parameters ;)
Another thing I came across is, that not all parameter are populated into the corresponding cfg file. Is this a limitation of the plugin itself or can I do something about it? Same behavior for VST and AU btw. In Uhbik-A it is the operation selector and in Uhbik-D the modulation selector as well as the feedback switches for Delay 1-5.
Ubermap should list every parameter that is available to it. This depends on which parameters are being exposed to Live - i.e. what you see when you click "Configure" on a VST device. If you haven't already added "-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1" to Options.txt then you should do, otherwise Live will only output a smaller number (16? 32? can't remember) per device. I would first check what you see in Ubermap matches what you see in the Live device "Configure" panel, and if so then either the device doesn't expose that parameter for automation, or it does, but Live hasn't automatically added it – probably because of the auto populate threshold.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

phakju

Post by phakju » Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Ah ... Thanks Tom ... I'll wait for a fix for blank spaces then ... no problem.

With regard to the missing parameter I checked threshold for -1 and it is OK. Aside Live's "VST configure" lists the very same parameter I can find in the cfg file. So it is the plugin missing out something here.

BTW: Independently of the minor things missing here. It is soooo much more fun to deal with those plugins now than with the mouse. And the organisation with named banks indeed makes things really smooth.
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm

phakju wrote:Ah ... Thanks Tom ... I'll wait for a fix for blank spaces then ... no problem.

With regard to the missing parameter I checked threshold for -1 and it is OK. Aside Live's "VST configure" lists the very same parameter I can find in the cfg file. So it is the plugin missing out something here.
I'll private message you about this to avoid too much discussion in the thread
BTW: Independently of the minor things missing here. It is soooo much more fun to deal with those plugins now than with the mouse. And the organisation with named banks indeed makes things really smooth.
:) Glad you enjoy it. Makes using a plugin more like using a real hardware instrument I find (especially with the latest beta with the "discrete value" types), kind of how I imagine it feels to use an OP-1 or similar. I've got more ideas in store to make it even better but it is a case of finding time to do them. Also I suspect Ableton may release their own solution to this problem at some point, though I have no insider info so perhaps they'll choose to leave it up to third parties to fix
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue May 17, 2016 6:33 am

cskracer wrote:Tom I think I've followed all of your instructions correctly but my Push 2 is just sitting on the Push logo when I fire up 9.6.2b1 at the moment.
Hey, your set up looks OK, have PMed you asking for more info

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue May 17, 2016 7:07 am

phakju wrote:Ah ... Thanks Tom ... I'll wait for a fix for blank spaces then ... no problem.
Hey, I've published a new version which supports blank spaces better: http://bit.ly/ubermap-1_0_0b2. Take a look at the README as I've slightly updated the instructions - it turns out the config format can't have more than one line with the same key in the same section, so the blank spaces need unique names, I suggest "_blank_0", "_blank_1" etc. https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... le-details

-

I've also added instructions for Push 1 users: https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... sh-1-users

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 pm

tom_d wrote:
cskracer wrote:Tom I think I've followed all of your instructions correctly but my Push 2 is just sitting on the Push logo when I fire up 9.6.2b1 at the moment.
Hey, your set up looks OK, have PMed you asking for more info
Thanks mate. Emailed you the file. It's saying it can't find Ubermap in the log file. Makes me think I have something setup wrong somewhere.

phakju

Post by phakju » Tue May 17, 2016 2:38 pm

tom_d wrote:Hey, I've published a new version which supports blank spaces better: http://bit.ly/ubermap-1_0_0b2. Take a look at the README as I've slightly updated the instructions - it turns out the config format can't have more than one line with the same key in the same section, so the blank spaces need unique names, I suggest "_blank_0", "_blank_1" etc. https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... le-details

Super ... works perfectly. Thanks again :D

Final note about missing parameters: I did realize that these remain missing independently from which DAW I use. I double checked with MuLab. So, up to the company to provide complete sets to DAWs.
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Tue May 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Posted an example for dexed here I think would benefit from my BANKS OF BANKS suggestion from before:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=221580&p=1698612#p1698612

Also I ran out of banks so had to leave some stuff off like Amod Sens.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 pm

One more thing Im running into a weird bug with parameter values and pg-8x. When I do a ranged value, it forgets the first value until I leave a bank and come back.

Code: Select all

[Banks]
[[Global]]
54_MASTER TUNE = MASTER TUNE
[[DCO 1]]
1_DCO1 RANG = Range
2_DCO1 WAVE = Wave
3_DCO1 TUNE = TUNE
"4_DCO1 LFO " = LFO
"5_DCO1 ENV " = ENV
[[DCO 2]]
6_DCO2 RANG = Range
[ParameterValues]
1_DCO1 RANG = 16",8",4",2"
2_DCO1 WAVE = Noise, SQ1, SQ2, SAW
It looks like its just a gui bug on the push2, the value is being sent correctly to the vst.

tdmusic_

Post by tdmusic_ » Wed May 18, 2016 8:54 am

peterswimm wrote:Posted an example for dexed here I think would benefit from my BANKS OF BANKS suggestion from before:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=221580&p=1698612#p1698612

Also I ran out of banks so had to leave some stuff off like Amod Sens.
Cool - I would definitely like to implement banks of banks, but I wouldn't hold your breath as its not very straightforward to do ;) When you say you ran out of banks do you mean Ableton/Push has some limit? There's no limit in Ubermap as far as I know!

tdmusic_

Post by tdmusic_ » Wed May 18, 2016 8:55 am

peterswimm wrote:One more thing Im running into a weird bug with parameter values and pg-8x. When I do a ranged value, it forgets the first value until I leave a bank and come back.

It looks like its just a gui bug on the push2, the value is being sent correctly to the vst.
Is this plugin specific or all plugins? I will take a look. Could be an Ubermap bug, I haven't had a chance to work with the parameter values much since I implemented them

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 am

Ooops, was logged in as my old username there, anyway that was me lol

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Wed May 18, 2016 1:17 pm

tom_d wrote:Ooops, was logged in as my old username there, anyway that was me lol
I made the mistake of confusing Live's parameter limit with ubermaps! Back to the drawing board.

Understood on banks of banks, I was just chaffing a bit at the whole paging to go through six groups of 3 bank sections, but I'll live if it never happens to be sure!

The bug only seems to affect lists with THIS one plugin oddly. I have lists in other plugins and it seems ok. One thing I noticed is the plugin gui has four values, but the gui still scrolls between values so I should probably file a bug with them for that too. Luckily its free!

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Thu May 19, 2016 1:14 am

I made the mistake of confusing Live's parameter limit with ubermaps! Back to the drawing board.
I dug into this and remembered whose problem this is. The problem is ubermap does not see the VST parameters for Dexed by default, so as a workaround I had to do the Live config thing where you click configure and click on each parameter in the UI to make it accessable to live (and push and ubermap). But dexed has 134 parameters so I had to leave some out. Even though ubermap will have infinity banks, there are a finite number of knobs live will let you assign. Not expecting there is anyway for ubermap to fix this, just a quirk to be mindful of for massive vsts that do not expose their vst params by default.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 pm

You are amazing!!!!!!

I have been wanting to rename/remap my VST's in Push for ages and today I discover this.

Thank you so much. I can finally use Hive without the cryptic and truncated names!

Definitely buying you a virtual beer man.