Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
nori.lam

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by nori.lam » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Just a shot in the dark but have you tried to clean up your registry?

I know Auslogic Registry cleaner usually fixes install problems on my work machine. Horrible name but works great.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:16 pm

nori.lam wrote:Just a shot in the dark but have you tried to clean up your registry?

I know Auslogic Registry cleaner usually fixes install problems on my work machine. Horrible name but works great.
No I've not done that. I usually stay away from messing with my registry due to the popups that make it sound like I might erase crucial system files. Is there no chance of that?

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Is there a console for ableton? Maybe there is an error in the logs you can use.

I missed the response to my earlier suggestion but are you sure you are editing the file using UNIX text format?

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:43 am

[chris b] wrote:I've answered it numerous times. It works.
What version of Ubermap did you use? You mentioned earlier that you'd moved on to PrEditor.

I feel fairly comfortable I haven't stuffed up the installation - the instructions on github are pretty easy to follow. Tom seemed to think my installation looked correct when I posted screenshots earlier in the thread.

Edit: Doubt you need to do anything with the registry. It's just a set of python scripts.

@peter I posted a copy of the errors from the Ableton log file earlier in the thread.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 am

cohamill wrote:
nori.lam wrote:Just a shot in the dark but have you tried to clean up your registry?

No I've not done that. I usually stay away from messing with my registry due to the popups that make it sound like I might erase crucial system files. Is there no chance of that?
Auslogics will backup your registry before committing the cleanup. I have been using for a few years at work and have had no problems. But if you are feeling uncomfortable with something, air on the side of caution.

As cskracer mentioned, the registry may not be the problem but I am not a Windows expert.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Id be very surprised if the problem had anything to do with the windows registry.

Did you confirm your text editor is saving files in Unix format? If not that Im gonna assume that windows side is broken unless anyone can confirm otherwise.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm

peterswimm wrote:Is sublime text set to use Unix line endings?
https://blog.hostonnet.com/how-to-set-u ... blime-text
peterswimm wrote:I missed the response to my earlier suggestion but are you sure you are editing the file using UNIX text format?
peterswimm wrote:Did you confirm your text editor is saving files in Unix format? If not that Im gonna assume that windows side is broken unless anyone can confirm otherwise.
See my original response to your suggestion below (Posted Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:15 am - bottom of p. 7). TL;DR: Unix is not the problem.
cohamill wrote:
peterswimm wrote:Is sublime text set to use Unix line endings?
https://blog.hostonnet.com/how-to-set-u ... blime-text
Followed those instructions: same old result :( I also just tried all things we've discussed so far using Notepad++: same old result. I also got the same result using Notepad, which was what I used at the very very beginning of all this. In all cases, there was a blank line at Line 151 as soon as I opened the file.

Considering all that, at this point, I'm 99% confident that the text editor isn't the problem. Especially since Tom himself specifically recommended Sublime Text.
peterswimm wrote:I've never tested it on Windows! Im editing using text wrangler and terminal here on OSX no problems.
I wonder if it could be a Mac/PC issue... I think I saw somewhere that Tom is a Mac user, so perhaps Ubermap was never Windows-proofed? But then again, PC users are a pretty big group, so surely if Ubermap wasn't Windows-compatible, that would have been mentioned somewhere...

I sure wish the dev would weigh in here :_( But if you have any other ideas, plz keep 'em coming and I will try them all! As always, many thanks.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Guess youre buying a macbook! Sorry out of ideas.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:25 pm

peterswimm wrote:Guess youre buying a macbook! Sorry out of ideas.
I guess so :_( Or more likely, not using Ubermap and just waiting until something else comes along.

I still have no idea why it doesn't work, but I'm also completely out of ideas. Thanks for all your help peterswimm and others who weighted in.

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:57 pm

cskracer wrote:
[chris b] wrote:I've answered it numerous times. It works.
What version of Ubermap did you use? You mentioned earlier that you'd moved on to PrEditor.

I feel fairly comfortable I haven't stuffed up the installation - the instructions on github are pretty easy to follow. Tom seemed to think my installation looked correct when I posted screenshots earlier in the thread.

Edit: Doubt you need to do anything with the registry. It's just a set of python scripts.

@peter I posted a copy of the errors from the Ableton log file earlier in the thread.
The most recent versions I used were Ubermap 0.4b2 on Live Beta 9.6.2b4

Electromorphic

Post by Electromorphic » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Can Anyone confirm if this is working with live 9.7?

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:14 pm

A quick upgrade and run through seems to be fine on OSX. Be sure to run Ableton first so it can do the app check before you run the script.

Electromorphic

Post by Electromorphic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes, I got it working on push 2 last night with only a slight modification to the install script path. Tom_d I f@*#ing love this software you have made! It's easy to use, it doesn't require another program to be open, and this + push2 provides the functionality that I have wanted from ableton for the past decade (note to ableton engineers: this guy did it, why the hell is it so hard for you guys to figure out a way to save vst mappings?). Thank you for your gift to the community!

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 am

I would like to discuss a certain bug mentioned a few pages ago and dig a little deeper there. I am talking about the mismatch of parameter values being displayed on Push 2 and their real value in the plug-in. An Example:

Since it makes no sense to have NI Monark's Waveform types presented as values from 0 to 5, I change them to Parameter Values tri, ramp,... Turning the knob clockwise works fine at first but turning it back leads to a mismatch between Push's display and the plug-in and the whole idea of control is gone. The problem always seems to occur when a parameter has more than two concrete values (not only On or Off) and you rename them via Ubermap. Of course, I tried the method described for "Parameters without even distribution" without luck. And I've seen the exact same thing happening with PrEditor too. Not using any of the tools leaves all intact, as far as I can tell.

Tomd said in this thread that Push 2 is the bug. I also tried u-he ACE and Podolski, same problem. But then I tried Synth1. Yes, the ancient freeware classic. And guess what: no bug. Flawless control of concrete parameter values, like LP12, LP24,... It seems to me the best plug-ins have the worst implementation here. Anyone with the same problem or an idea whether it's really Push 2 or the parameter management of modern plug-ins? For me it's big bummer since it renders the idea of controlling your plug-ins from Push 2 obsolete.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 am

The bug is related to Push 2 and Ableton and has nothing to do with Ubermap.

I contacted support and got confirmation from them (many months ago).

It would be great if everyone here could report it to tech support so that it will be fixed by Ableton.