Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
peterswimm

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by peterswimm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:02 am

You could always map one preset, and then copy them into the new config for each updated instance.

Maybe just create an init patch, and use ableton presets instead?

After losing all my configs to the recent update, Im starting to think the hack is too much trouble to maintain versus actually making music :D.

flipotto

Post by flipotto » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:40 am

peterswimm wrote:You could always map one preset, and then copy them into the new config for each updated instance.

Maybe just create an init patch, and use ableton presets instead?

After losing all my configs to the recent update, Im starting to think the hack is too much trouble to maintain versus actually making music :D.
Good idea, except - every time I change presets I get another 3 - 9 .cfg files.

How you make an init patch, is there a link for that?

It may prove to be more trouble for me as well... My approach, in the few days I have messed with it, was to use google drive to sync edits so I can share over several computers. Then my script editing is really about just making the first 8 be a main group to look at, then make two or 3 other banks for the things I really want access too.
But, you bring up a really good point, maybe I should just map the macros and get on with making music.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:24 am

It's a massive disappointment to me that we have to try and use third party tools to do what should be built into Live. It's 2016 for god's sake not 1980.

Live should include a tool that does the following:

1. Allows the user to select a VST.
2. Reads all of the controls that the VST exposes - including those past the 128 limit currently in live.
3. Allows the user to select which controls they'd like to have mapped for that synth and in what order from the list of VST controls.
4. Allows the user to setup named banks like Ubermap can.
5. Allows the user to rename what each of the controls is called when displayed on Push.
6. Once that configuration has been completed, have Live automatically scan through all of the presets in the VST and create an instrument rack for each preset using the control mapping specified by the user.

It's extremely frustrating trying to use Push with 3rd party VSTs. There are plenty of preset packs out there, but in a lot of cases all they do is map the first 128 controls that are exposed by the VST to Live. In the case of u-he's synths that means most of the time you don't get access to cut-off, res, envelopes etc as they tend to be beyond the first 128 controls exposed by their synths. So sure you can use Push to pick a preset, but if you actually want to play with the patch you don't have access to the controls you need - you end up back on the computer screen using your mouse. I've started going through the synths manually myself now and setting up controls the way I want them, but I shouldn't have to do it one preset at a time. It's ridiculous and time consuming.

Why Ableton don't see this a major usability issue is beyond me. They appear to be trying to keep users within their ecosystem - ie using their packs, synths and effects by making it hard to configure Push for 3rd party VSTs. I'm at the point where I'm considering purchasing one of NI's S series keyboards as it appears as though their automapping features are much more user friendly.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 am

cskracer wrote: Live should include a tool that does the following:

2. Reads all of the controls that the VST exposes - including those past the 128 limit currently in live.
3. Allows the user to select which controls they'd like to have mapped for that synth and in what order from the list of VST controls.
5. Allows the user to rename what each of the controls is called when displayed on Push.
6. Once that configuration has been completed, have Live automatically scan through all of the presets in the VST and create an instrument rack for each preset using the control mapping specified by the user.
Amen.
cskracer wrote: I'm at the point where I'm considering purchasing one of NI's S series keyboards as it appears as though their automapping features are much more user friendly.
I don't think they are as people complain about them too, but chances are that they might be better at this. Worth checking out, though getting one means you have to lug it around with you. A Push is very portable and versatile.
Make some music!

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:14 am

The thing that annoys me the most is what I've listed above is trivial.

Live obviously sees all of the parameters exposed by the VST already.

Live can already change the control mapping.

The only parts that are missing are the ability to allow users to setup named banks - which is obviously easy as the guys from Isotonik have managed it and the ability to scan a VST for all of the presets and to rack them automatically. I presume that they could easily loop through all of the presets on a VST by using program change messages - they can already see the patch names as they come up in the Device dialog when you select one. So all that's left after that is to create an instrument rack and save it using the name of the patch. I'll eat my hat if that is months of work. I'd be surprised if it took a programmer a day to be honest. Although I say that to the programmers at work all the time and they prove me wrong...

Still I doubt it's a big change, but it would be a major game changer for the users of Push.

Anyway back to saving my instrument racks with the controls setup via PrEditor....

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 pm

cskracer wrote:
Anyway back to saving my instrument racks with the controls setup via PrEditor....
Yup. I haven't tried Ubermap since Tom got a Push 2 (I'm on the original). Spent a lot of time setting it up a few years back. It's great that Tom created this project and it has been a godsend and likely is for a lot of people that are motivated to get into this. Not all are unfortunately.

I haven't actually tried Preditor, but it's on my drive, and everything seems right about it. Ableton should still fix user presets, make all parameters available in plug-ins, make the native library deletable and some other things.
Make some music!

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:06 am

cskracer wrote:It's a massive disappointment to me that we have to try and use third party tools to do what should be built into Live. It's 2016 for god's sake not 1980.

Live should include a tool that does the following:

So true.
7. Fix the bug where parameter values in 3rd party plugins and Push lose sync.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Contacted support about incorporating the ability to automatically create instrument racks from VSTs. Hit a brickwall. There's no intention to change the way it works. Very disappointing.

I really don't understand it. I work for a company that develops complex engineering design and scheduling software and when our clients bring up a pain point like this one, we do everything we can to code the problem away.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:17 am

I've put up a suggestion on centrecode for those of you on the beta forum. I've asked for them to provide auto instrument racking as that's the part that takes the time.

If you're keen please upvote it so we get some traction.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 4faf86c4d1

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

cskracer wrote:I've put up a suggestion on centrecode for those of you on the beta forum. I've asked for them to provide auto instrument racking as that's the part that takes the time.

If you're keen please upvote it so we get some traction.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 4faf86c4d1
Nice initiative!
I tried the link but I get redirected to the main feature request page.

What was the title for the feature request?

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Automatic Instrument Racking of 3rd Party VSTs

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks.

Here is the direct link. I just confirmed it works.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 07ca8465ad

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 am

cskracer wrote:Automatic Instrument Racking of 3rd Party VSTs

Yes, with a preset database. Like NKS or Akai VIP...

doublestop

Post by doublestop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 am

Hey, I just wanted to extend a big Thankyou for the development of this tool!!! This really makes my day!!! I have Windows 10 and At first I couldn't get it to work.. despite following every instruction carefully... until I realized I was working in a bogus entirely wrong Live directory.. (where I had installed a previous version on a different drive).

Anyways, I have it working now.. It works great! I am SO happy to simply be able to identify banks on my Push2!!! Among other VST's I am working with Arturia V5 collection and Lord! the number of banks for some of these instruments is insane! Without the ability to name banks.. It's painful trying to locate the right controls! It seems crazy to me that Ableton does not incorporate some kind of "bank" system into their parameter configuration interface.

TinAxe106

Post by TinAxe106 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am

Hi there.

Have spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work using Live 9.7.1 Windows 10 Push 2. I put the example Drumazon configuration file in my C:\Users\Charlie\Ubermap\Devices file. However, no luck. Does anyone else have this working using the same 9.7.1 Windows 10 Push 2 setup?

Hoping to hear from someone in the community.

Many thanks, Charlie.