Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
swap15

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by swap15 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:50 pm

Horselover Fat wrote:
swap15 wrote:I also reported this to support and they asked me that it will not be fixed because not enought reports!
They asked you? Could you clarify, please? Thank you.
Sorry, my English is not good. I fixed my post above.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:08 pm

It's not clearer to me now, but I got the most important message. If not enough people complain about a bug it won't get fixed. What I don't get is that Ableton don't see this major hindrance to controlling 3rd party devices as an impediment to selling more units. Look at ebay, it's flooded. Or are so few people trying to control 3rd party plugins reliably?

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:43 pm

I think most people dont control 3rd party VST's with Push because its not that user friendly with the parameter mappings, limited to 128 parameters and not possible to browse presets without creating a whole pile of racks.

So sadly it doesnt get much attention. I'm really hoping the tech was just misinformed and that this gets fixed in the next round of updates.

But its true of anything in life....the more noise you make, the more attention you get.

So if everyone who reads this could put in a bug report, we may have a chance :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Yeah I created racks for presets for every VST I own for Push, works well, but I have to say I use the Komplete Kontrol keyboard way more these days than Push for playing and dialling in sounds simply because of the parameter mapping. It's way quicker for me to find a sound and start getting into it. If they release a browser screen on the next KK (as in the Akai Advanced) i'll sell Push to get that. The ability to rename parameters and custom order/create pages with ability to INSERT BLANK SPACES between controls honestly makes a world of difference.

Do you know literally how difficult it is to find parameters you can group together in perfect pages of 8 so you don't have an ADSR or filter controls spill over 2 pages? Took me weeks and weeks of changing my mind just creating Omnisphere and now I have ripped 20,000 files I find I want to change a few things... cant.

If I had to give up my KK or Push it would have to be Push at this junction. If an MKII or Push 3 were ever to come out it would have to offer more flexible parameter mapping, naming and re-ordering for me to even look at further features. If Live 10 offers just this feature alone I will happily pay for the upgrade. It is simply that important.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 am

Holy crap 8O I just checked out some vids for Komplete Kontrol and it looks awesome.
Custom VST mapping is killer on that.

Sigh. I only wish Push could do that :cry:

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to map native Live devices in KK? I assume the VST's are scanned somehow by KK but not sure.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:13 am

You can switch the KK keyboard to midi mode and I set a control surface to pick up the first page for the blue hand in live. I create several more pages for direct mapping. Once you work it into a template it's real useful. I love the scale feature as much as push then you have chords and arp which is just fun.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:41 am

Ah nice.

So do you get the macro names in the blue hand mapping?

TBH - I love Push for being able to browse native devices and the drum sequencer but I tend to use VST's and I find the pad sensitivity is horrible.

I have been thinking about grabbing a Launchpad for finger drumming (doing the XpressPads drum course which is awesome btw) but if KK meets my needs for VST mapping, I may just sell Push and grab a KK and maybe a Launchpad (I think there is a Live drum sequencer hack for it).

To boot, I do like the scale mode in KK as this will actually teach me scales :)

But I will wait a bit. I am hoping Live 10 will come out early next year. First ever Push sale...makes me wonder if there is something on the other end of that...

swap15

Post by swap15 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:25 am

Horselover Fat wrote:It's not clearer to me now, but I got the most important message. If not enough people complain about a bug it won't get fixed. What I don't get is that Ableton don't see this major hindrance to controlling 3rd party devices as an impediment to selling more units. Look at ebay, it's flooded. Or are so few people trying to control 3rd party plugins reliably?
It's usual practice in software companies: increase bug priority by users reports count. Most unpleasant moment is that support guy reproduced issue on his side! As programmer I sure that issue can be fixed very easy and quickly!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:33 am

nori.lam wrote:Ah nice.

So do you get the macro names in the blue hand mapping?

that...
No

That is the downside :(

Also when using MIDI CC mode you get realtime updates of the control position from live but no control labels so its just CC01, CC02 etc.

I personally find the combination of KK and Push brilliant. Each has its own strengths. KK is so much easier (but not perfect) for finding a sound and getting stuck into tweaking it. It is also much easier to setup a useful template for each VST I own. Push is great for getting around in Live, editing MIDI sequences, drumming and quickly controlling any effects. I use Push constantly for effects and sends mixing while KK is VST and playing mainly. I also have an MCU which is purely for overall mixing and transport control.

I like the pads on Push and it forces me to play in a different way when playing keyboard/strings, just need to keep tweaking the pad settings until you find something that works for you. Lock both the KK and Push to the same scale and it's a lot of fun which is the main goal for me.

Drumming is great with Push and something I cannot do the same on keyboard. I also have a Launchpad which I only ever use to launch clips from the keyboard location (mainly to record new clips). It would be horrible for drumming but I have the old V1 LP not one of the new ones which may be better with the pads.

flipotto

Post by flipotto » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm having a difficult time installing on windows 10, live 9.7.1, push2

I follow manual install directions on github
copying _init_.py file from zip devices folder to midi remote scripts push2 folder
and push2 disappears from list of control surfaces, is there a problem with this file?
When I restore the backed up _init_.pyc.old file to _init_.pyc, in push2 folder, push2 shows back up in my list of control surfaces.

Also, should Ubermap show up in list of control surfaces, it does not on my end.
Any help with set up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Instead of making racks for my VSTs I make 1 rack and put an instance of Komplete Kontrol in that, then within that Komplete Kontrol I then bring in whatever VST im after, reorder the parameters to how I want them, (I dont use the instrument rack macros) save for each preset you want.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:30 am

Please have a look at my Group, ive done tons of Vst/ vsti racks ready for Both Push,s. All have easy midi parameter settings for your Push. Also easy preset browsing by sound type On Push. there are alot of free ones from free Vsti,s, to. Plus you can choose 2 Push Racks for free

Latest ive made is a lot of the Fabfilter plugins, and Arturias Analog lab 2 with 5300 presets ( Arturia V complete ), WIggle, Factory and NI,s Form and tone 2 Icarus.

Take a look here: https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

Join in here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbletonPushVstRacks/

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:45 am

Easy to do it yourself, no need to pay for them.....
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

flipotto

Post by flipotto » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:30 pm

flipotto wrote:I'm having a difficult time installing on windows 10, live 9.7.1, push2

I follow manual install directions on github
copying _init_.py file from zip devices folder to midi remote scripts push2 folder
and push2 disappears from list of control surfaces, is there a problem with this file?
When I restore the backed up _init_.pyc.old file to _init_.pyc, in push2 folder, push2 shows back up in my list of control surfaces.

Also, should Ubermap show up in list of control surfaces, it does not on my end.
Any help with set up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I have made some progress.
I looked at the install.command to find out if I was copying files to the correct locations. Based on this information, I see that I did not follow the windows install instructions correctly.

From install.command

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/Ubermap/Devices
cp_if_ne ../Config/devices.cfg ~/Ubermap/
cp_if_ne ../Config/global.cfg ~/Ubermap/
I had put these files in ~\Ubermap\Devices which was an error on my part.
He clearly - states in step 10

Code: Select all

8. Create a folder called Ubermap in your user folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap)
9. Create a folder called Devices inside this Ubermap folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap\Devices)
10. Copy all the files from the unzipped Config folder into the Ubermap folder you created in step 8

the files should be put in ~\Ubermap\
I put devices.cfg in there as well.

After doing this I started Live and main.txt was created in ~\Ubermap\
When I loaded Synth1 a .cfg was created in ~\Ubermap\Devices

I am now going to try to copy some of the cfg files to see what happens.

flipotto

Post by flipotto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Has anyone made an analog lab 2 cfg file?
For me...
Arturia Analog Lab 2 makes a huge number of config files in the
Ubermap\Devices\ folder
There must be several HASH numbers coming out of analog lab 2.

Sometimes it adds 10 new ones when I load a new preset in Live,
I don't know which one to edit?

Anyone else experience this or have a solution?
I have looked at lovelight's fb post but don't know what I will get with his presets or if it will conflict with what I use already with ubermap.