Fastest way to abort recording and start again?

Discuss Push with other users.
enyo

Fastest way to abort recording and start again?

Post by enyo » Sat May 07, 2016 12:52 pm

At the moment, when I start recording something (vocals, guitar, anything) I haven't found an efficient way to start from the top again after making a mistake.

What I'm doing is this:

1. I arm the track
2. Hit the record button
3. Try to record something and fail miserably
4. Stop the recording
5. Hit delete + the clip cell to delete the currently recorded clip (which requires two hands)
6. Hit record again

Now, I know that nobody can help me about step 3, but I wonder if there is a more efficient way for 4, 5 and 6.

Thanks

Precisionguided

Re: Fastest way to abort recording and start again?

Post by Precisionguided » Sun May 08, 2016 2:17 am

I'm curious about this as well, because I just keep hitting undo, but sometimes it takes several presses and also requires looking at the screen to see that I don't go too far.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 08, 2016 8:05 am

New and then record!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Precisionguided

Post by Precisionguided » Sun May 08, 2016 10:34 am

Wouldn't you then have to go through and delete all the bad takes afterwards?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Yes, but at least it doesn't interrupt your creative juice when it's here!
Ableton Forum Moderator

enyo

Post by enyo » Sun May 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Mh... Ok so that's the only solution? Hitting new every time and cleaning up afterwards? That's really less than ideal. Why does hitting delete not work the same way it works on midi tracks (where it simply deletes the current clip)?

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue May 17, 2016 5:03 pm

I agree there should be a better answer. Undo might take a few hits, particularly if you are multitracking or move other parameters. And just deleting them after the fact will still populate a project folder after you've saved, even if the current session is no longer referencing that take after it's deleted. So that's less than ideal.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 am

Undo is what I use or I simply do what was suggested and record new takes until I get it right in the same way when filming you just flow onto the next take and worry about deleting rubbish later.

I also have a macro (using Bomes) on my MCU that does stop/delete/re-record which I can map to a foot pedal but I rarely use that since I have overwrite mapped to the pedal most the time.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 19, 2016 2:43 am

obviously what Jur suggest is the best current work around but it's equally obvious that is way beyond less than ideal, so has anyone asked ableton what they plan to do about it and if so what was the response?

Glint_Eye

Post by Glint_Eye » Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

You could also just record one really long take, where you repeat whatever musical idea you had over and over again without ever hitting stop and then duplicate the clip several times and crop out the best parts of it. This way you can concentrate on just playing and then edit out the good parts later.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm

That's how I do it too. If you have an arrange loop set it will keep recording and you can just drag out the right side of the audio clip to see it all later on.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 pm

^ that's what i do too.

another method i use is a foot pedal (Logidy UMI3 http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1) for recording vocal takes. i have stop, play, and 'record arm' each mapped to one of the 3 buttons. if i botch it, i hit the Stop button (twice i think - it's been a while) to get back to the start of the loop bracket, then tap the 'record arm' mapped button, then tap play to start the music and and recording again. basically the same things you would do with mouse. it's fairly quick (3 seconds?) so the break in workflow is slight...

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 am

so this is turning into the same ole need for intuitive comping like logic has which is about the only intuitive thing in logic..... but with the addition of being easily accessed and controlled via push 2!!!

timday

Post by timday » Fri May 20, 2016 9:59 am

I'd agree that I'd like comping. It's one of the things that other DAWs do a lot better than Live. I don't think it's been a priority in the past because Live is meant for, well, live, but given that Push is mainly meant to be a composition tool, MIDI and audio comping in session and arrange views seems a logical step forwards. Put it on a wishlist for Live 10 I guess.