Push 2 and Ableton slave to Pro Tools

Discuss Push with other users.
slayczar

Push 2 and Ableton slave to Pro Tools

Post by slayczar » Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to use my Push 2 while Ableton is rewired slave mode into Pro Tools 12.5, but this is not working. It's as if Push doesn't recognize that Ableton is running. Is this to be expected or is there something special I need to do to get this to work? Ableton running alone works fine with Push 2.

Thanks!
Caesar

Machinesworking

Re: Push 2 and Ableton slave to Pro Tools

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 21, 2016 12:17 am

Yeah that's the problem with ReWire, a 15+ year old technology designed for Reason before it could record audio.
Live in "slave" mode loses Max and the ability to control advanced hardware like Push.

At least on the Windows side there are a few developers that have figured out how to reverse engineer two DAWs into being 'masters', but that's as far as it's gotten in 15 years.. It's IMO a huge hole in audio software that an elegant advanced way to slave two DAWs to the same transport while allowing them MIDI and audio control over hardware and VSTs etc.

Precisionguided

Post by Precisionguided » Sat May 21, 2016 4:07 am

Machinesworking wrote:Yeah that's the problem with ReWire, a 15+ year old technology designed for Reason before it could record audio.
Live in "slave" mode loses Max and the ability to control advanced hardware like Push.

At least on the Windows side there are a few developers that have figured out how to reverse engineer two DAWs into being 'masters', but that's as far as it's gotten in 15 years.. It's IMO a huge hole in audio software that an elegant advanced way to slave two DAWs to the same transport while allowing them MIDI and audio control over hardware and VSTs etc.
How do you get 2 daws to be masters?

weswook

Post by weswook » Tue May 24, 2016 8:10 pm

In OS X you can open the programs independent of one another, setup internal MIDI via IAC driver and then route audio using something like Soundflower. I do this all the time, works great! There are some videos that demonstrate this technique using MainStage as a sound module, might help if you go down this route.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

weswook wrote:In OS X you can open the programs independent of one another, setup internal MIDI via IAC driver and then route audio using something like Soundflower. I do this all the time, works great! There are some videos that demonstrate this technique using MainStage as a sound module, might help if you go down this route.
Soundflower is starting to not work on some systems BTW. Cool it works for you though. The world needs an advanced ReWire but Props aren't delivering, they've taken the same route they all are going in, ie you should stick to 'our' DAW....