"Fixed Length" not Working

Discuss Push with other users.
skilletaudio

"Fixed Length" not Working

Post by skilletaudio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:24 pm

According to the manual https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-push-2 (28.3.5 Fixed Length Recording) when you set the fixed length and record into a new clip it will be the size of what you chose. I have Fixed Length set to on and have set different lengths and regardless when I go to record into a clip it always records endlessly until I press the clip button I am recording into. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

yur2die4

Re: "Fixed Length" not Working

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:47 am

I haven't thought about this before, but I'm not sure if there is a difference between using fixed length with session slots and using the Session Record button. Which are you using? And does the alternate option work?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:47 am

you have to press record button on push with your finger....you cant click the sessions record button on the clip with the mouse button, or it will record endlessly

skilletaudio

Post by skilletaudio » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:you have to press record button on push with your finger....you cant click the sessions record button on the clip with the mouse button, or it will record endlessly
That is what I am doing and no success. Is it working for you?
yur2die4 wrote:I haven't thought about this before, but I'm not sure if there is a difference between using fixed length with session slots and using the Session Record button. Which are you using? And does the alternate option work?
Unfortunatly I can't get either to work with Ableton Push 2 on Ableton Live 9.6.1 Suite.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 am

Fixed Length only sets the size of the clip you're recording into, it doesn't stop your recording after that time period.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:15 pm

I tested it out on Push 1.

The behavior is, if you press the session record button on Push (above the Play button), tapping it that single time will cause the clip (as audio or midi clip) to record for 2 bars (or whatever your desired length is).

If you tap a session pad, it will record indefinitely.

If you record midi for the Session Record button, it will loop around and continue recording even after it loops back from the 2 bars (or whatever setting). This makes sense because you would usually tap it while doing an idea and when it comes back around to the beginning, you might have a note or two that were not caught when you tapped the button. But it can also be misleading, because it'll keep recording things if you continue playing stuff longer than your loop length.

I did not test it with foot pedal.

skilletaudio

Post by skilletaudio » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Tarekith wrote:Fixed Length only sets the size of the clip you're recording into, it doesn't stop your recording after that time period.
For me it is not even setting the clip length. Also that is bit confusing because on the specifically says Record Length: 1 Bar, 2 Bar etc.

Is it setting the clip lenght for you?

Their documention says "Press and hold Fixed Length to set the recording length." That is confusing verbabe if that is not what it is suppose to do. I just want to at least see it do something beside show that it is changing on the Push 2.

skilletaudio

Post by skilletaudio » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:22 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I tested it out on Push 1.

The behavior is, if you press the session record button on Push (above the Play button), tapping it that single time will cause the clip (as audio or midi clip) to record for 2 bars (or whatever your desired length is).

If you tap a session pad, it will record indefinitely.

If you record midi for the Session Record button, it will loop around and continue recording even after it loops back from the 2 bars (or whatever setting). This makes sense because you would usually tap it while doing an idea and when it comes back around to the beginning, you might have a note or two that were not caught when you tapped the button. But it can also be misleading, because it'll keep recording things if you continue playing stuff longer than your loop length.

I did not test it with foot pedal.

Thank you, it looks like you were typing while I was. That is great and makes sense to me now, so to do this strickly from Push I have to press and hold select button and then select an empty clip slot and then press the session record button above the play button and vuala it records the preset amount.

To me there documentation needs to be updated to state that "you first have to select an empty clip slot and then press the session record button."

Thank you guys for the help and getting me further down the road with push, regards.
Last edited by skilletaudio on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Session Record is a tricky thing to deal with.

I think sometimes it can simply apply to whichever row is highlighted.

I think the intention was to use the New button to make an empty place to record into that is already highlighted. And then tap Session Record while you play.

I'm not sure if Session Record will create new clips on a highlighted scene while one clip is already playing... but I'm almost positive that's how it works.

An easy way to move up and down (because that's pretty much all you can do for selecting clip slots, left and right are different channels), is to midi or key map the scene up/down buttons in Live to pedals or something.

Your Select idea should also work smoothly. And there's less guesswork.

Good luck!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:56 pm

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/

Fixed Length has been improved in the latest update. Hope it is helpful!

skilletaudio

Post by skilletaudio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks for this post, that is so much better, just downloaded and tried it out. That is the way I would expect it to work, very nice update!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 am

skilletaudio wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:you have to press record button on push with your finger....you cant click the sessions record button on the clip with the mouse button, or it will record endlessly
That is what I am doing and no success. Is it working for you?

works for me...im on push1

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 pm

fixed length has never worked properly. There are many threads about it.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I don't know if you can use the term 'never worked properly' in this case. It has gone through a few transitions. Part of it is that different people have different expectations of what is the ideal functionality of the feature.

If I'm not mistaken, it works very well right now. And it works from most avenues of application (either session pad trigger or the rec button). Before, it would record the appropriate length, but when you went back to trigger the clip, it wouldn't trigger with the right timing. They did improve that.

The foot pedal action on Push would be a nice thing for them to focus on next.

skilletaudio

Post by skilletaudio » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:56 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The foot pedal action on Push would be a nice thing for them to focus on next.
That would be cool.