Mute individual pads

Discuss Push with other users.
collider

Mute individual pads

Post by collider » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:59 pm

I've read that I can mute individual pads on push 2 while it's playing by holding the mute button and pressing the pad, but this isn't working for me. I can hold the mute button, push the pad, nothing happens. Then eventually it goes into mute lock mode. I've tried this many times.

The only way i've been able to get it to work is to hold select, hold the pad, release select, then press mute... which isn't great. Is there something obvious i'm missing to get it to mute using the first method?

Razz CE

Re: Mute individual pads

Post by Razz CE » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:20 am

It works fine for me. I can only offer that Push 2 sometimes has issues with the "hold mute, press pad/button" method when you release mute very quickly after touching the pad. It seems unlikely, but maybe you just triggered that bug every time. Try keeping mute held for a moment after touching the pad.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

collider

Post by collider » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that too but if i hold mute for longer it just enables mute lock. Also tried holding the pad and mute for longer but same effect. Have asked ableton for tech support

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:44 am

please report back when you've figured this issue out

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 pm

collider wrote:I've read that I can mute individual pads on push 2 while it's playing by holding the mute button and pressing the pad, but this isn't working for me.

get it to work is to hold select, hold the pad, release select, then press mute...
For you people on Push 1, as myself, the first method works and the second works with the PXT Live editors.
Make some music!

collider

Post by collider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 am

I got a response - muting individual pads does work for normal drum racks, but doesn't work for drum racks based on vst instruments. I was trying to get it work with the audiomodder racks with NI komplete.

The problem is apparently that in order to mute a pad, that pad needs to be a dedicated instrument itself because when you mute you're just muting the instrument, and this isn't the case for if you're just playing a vst instrument. I'm sure there are ways they could implement support for this, but the fix they suggested was to map a different instance of Battery to each pad, instead of one instrument for all pads in the rack.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:58 am

collider wrote:I got a response - muting individual pads does work for normal drum racks, but doesn't work for drum racks based on vst instruments. .
You've been misinformed or you have misunderstood the info you received as this is not the case. This is probably related to not getting how audio is routed in Live. Muting can't affect audio that isn't going trough the muted chain. Audio routing can be a bit complex and took me a while to grasp. It's pretty obvious once you know it though.

Whatever sound that is routed back to the pad is indeed muted as that is an output of the sound played from it. If you're routing the audio from the VST to other outputs elsewhere obviously you're not muting the output when you mute the pad. One proper way to set up using a VST in a drum rack is to use "External Instrument" and route MIDI from the pad to the VST and use separate outputs of the VST routed back. When you do that — I do it like that in more or less all my songs — the muting works as expected.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am

Stromkraft wrote:
collider wrote:I've read that I can mute individual pads on push 2 while it's playing by holding the mute button and pressing the pad, but this isn't working for me.

get it to work is to hold select, hold the pad, release select, then press mute...
For you people on Push 1, as myself, the first method works and the second works with the PXT Live editors.
Just to clarify here I referred to MIDI note muting, i e setting velocity to 0 of a note in a clip. Now I think I understand it was overall muting on the audio level that collider asked for. Both ways of muting — event or pad/chain — are good to know and highly useful.
Make some music!

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 pm

when I mute a pad in a drum rack the color dims just a little bit. It is really hard to distinguish between muted and non-muted pads. Is there something I'm missing? Do others have this problem?

GdabZ

Post by GdabZ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes, although I can mute individual pads, I'm perfectly unable to tell which one is muted and which one is not. Not very practical.
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/normalogic

Moog Sub 37 / Korg Minilogue / Arturia Microbrute
I7 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1To Samsung SSD 850 EVO