"Receive All Notes" focus problem?

Discuss Push with other users.
natufian

"Receive All Notes" focus problem?

Post by natufian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:13 am

When instruments are loaded into an Instrument Rack, under Ableton Push's "Device" mode, they are all visible on the LCD and able to be selected to further tweak their individual parameters.

But when instruments are instead loaded into a Drum Rack, they are only ever focused via Auto-Select. When a single instrument is loaded and set to "Receive All Notes" there doesn't seem to be a way to focus it at all via Push's interface, regardless of Auto-Select's status. Thus parameters from drum programs (BFD, MicroTonic, Geist, Tremor, etc --even Sampler/Simpler or Ableton native synths) are not able to be accessed. The Program is not visible inside the Drum Rack and not able to be focused.

Am I doing something wrong or is this actually the case. I've read the manual and searched online but I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I assume I may be doing something wrong. Does anyone have a workaround? Thanks!

[Push 1; Win7 (x64); Live 9.6.2]

Stromkraft

Re: "Receive All Notes" focus problem?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:36 am

natufian wrote:
Am I doing something wrong or is this actually the case. I've read the manual and searched online but I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I assume I may be doing something wrong. Does anyone have a workaround? Thanks!

[Push 1; Win7 (x64); Live 9.6.2]
It seems like this is true also in 9.7b6. I don't see it should work like this, so I suggest you report this as bug to Ableton.

Workaround:
  • Put the instrument on a chain with a note number that you want use. The main outputs will come out in this chain.
  • Add External Instrument to the other pads and route the MIDI to the instrument in question and return the audio, preferably from the corresponding individual output.
  • If you find you want to use more pads than you have outputs, just keep one active output and lower the audio to Inf. on the additional pad/chain (You can mute it instead, but that changes the look in the drum rack).
  • If you only want the main outputs you can keep the volume of all the pads lowered to Inf..
  • If you don't want the main outputs in the instrument chain at all, simply mute those until you do.
  • If you're running the 9.7b6 turn off the Auto-selector on the rack or you risk encountering a bug with the display locking to some instrument that shouldn't be in focus. Bug reported for that. Doesn't affect 9.6.
    Clarification: Of course if you're working inside this drum rack and a clip is playing auto-select should be off if you want to see what's going on also in the Live GUI.
As I always have this set up and didn't notice this problem, I haven't encountered it before.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:05 pm

on Push2 it works by holding the Drum Rack device header and selecting the plugin that pops up on screen.
in all types of rack, this is how you choose the chain you want to control.
maybe there's a Push1 button press equivalent?

you have to turn off auto-select though, otherwise the focus will be on the last empty pad you pressed.

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 am

This doesn't fix the issue.

Has anyone found a work around??

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Joshua Boden wrote:This doesn't fix the issue.

Has anyone found a work around??
This?
Make some music!