9.7 Disables All Pad Colors of Maschine and EZ2 Drum Racks

Discuss Push with other users.
lyovino

9.7 Disables All Pad Colors of Maschine and EZ2 Drum Racks

Post by lyovino » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:34 am

While 9.7 is a nice update, the firmware update broke all of my Maschine and EZ2 Drum Pad colors. I now have a colorless drum pads.. WTF!
Switching to a track with Maschine or EZ on it, it use to show all pads lit with the track color. No More! If I try to add a color with the new feature the screen says : "Cannot Add Color to an Empty Pad"

Of course this is with the plugin set to "All" in the "Receive Play" area of the Rack. What now and is there a way around this?
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

jestermgee

Re: 9.7 Disables All Pad Colors of Maschine and EZ2 Drum Racks

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:27 am

How did you do this before?

I posted an issue in regards to the new pad colour feature during the Beta testing where it was impossible to assign pad colouring when using a drum rack to drive a VST based drum instrument because you don't have anything loaded on pads. The only way around that was to load a dummy silent sound file into each pad but I found that to be too cumbersome to manage so just don't bother with pad colours.

Really hope they add the ability to colour empty cells because I basically never use the drum rack with loaded samples, only for triggering EZD, Battery etc.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:42 am

How did you do this before?
Prior the 9.7 update If I loaded say EZ2 and then Grouped it to a drum rack and set it to "All" in the "Receive Play" area of the Rack, the track color showed on all drum pads in the rack. Then if you changed the track color the drum pads also reflected this.
Really hope they add the ability to colour empty cells because I basically never use the drum rack with loaded samples, only for triggering EZD, Battery etc.
Same here..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Just insert a simple midi or audio device on empty pads and you should be good to go.
Ableton Forum Moderator

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:12 pm

[jur] wrote:Just insert a simple midi or audio device on empty pads and you should be good to go.
Thanks, but can you give me a brief example of a device that you're speaking of… won't that be eating up a little bit of your CPU?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Something like Pitch, or Scale shouldn't use any ressource.
Ableton Forum Moderator

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks!
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:15 am

[jur] wrote:Something like Pitch, or Scale shouldn't use any ressource.
Interesting idea. I might have to setup a pre-loaded rack with that done.

Maybe we can add a "dummy" switch for pads that could do something like this in the background? Will have a play.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 pm

there's no need for devices to be loaded - you can open up the chain view of the drum rack, right-click>create chain, then alt-drag the pad (it now says 'chain' on it) to other empty pads to copy it.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:26 am

garyboozy wrote:there's no need for devices to be loaded - you can open up the chain view of the drum rack, right-click>create chain, then alt-drag the pad (it now says 'chain' on it) to other empty pads to copy it.
Thanks for that it works just as you said without any devices! Easy fix!
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Jeremy Siegel

Post by Jeremy Siegel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:29 pm

I have a solution.

I always use battery and assign to receive play for all of the drum pads, so I'm in the same boat as you. When 9.7 came out, I was surprised to see that I couldn't use those new coloring features, in fact, the colors were all gone! Just create an audio file that is completely blank and one second long and drag it into each cell. It took me about 1 minute to do. Once you've done this, save it as a preset so you never have to do it again. Once it is set up, it looks nearly identical to the old system, except now the pads are actually "brighter" like every other drum rack (because before the receive play pads were dimmer) and you can take advantage of the 9.7 coloring features. So while you have to do that initial thing I just described, the system is overall better once you've done this.

Hope this helps.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:06 am

Thanks I'll give it a go. It seems pretty much the same as above using blank chains.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2