Linnstrument, Push 3 in advance?

Discuss Push with other users.
Stromkraft

Linnstrument, Push 3 in advance?

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:32 pm

"Meet LinnStrument, an expressive MIDI controller for musical performance.
Unlike the simple on/off switches of a standard MIDI keyboard, LinnStrument's RGB-backlit note pads sense each finger's subtle movements in five ways, enabling musical performance expression rivaling that of fine acoustic instruments."
LinnStrument, a Revolutionary Expressive Musical Performance Controller

Maybe a Push isn't such a great MIDI performance controller after all? If nothing else LinnStrument would work for other contexts too and not just with Live. Likely far from as integrated of course. Isn't hardware wonderful?
Make some music!

Tarekith

Re: Linnstrument, Push 3 in advance?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Huh?

8O

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Been eyeing this and the Seaboard as well as Madrona Labs' Soundplane for a while. Eventually I will go down one of those roads.

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 pm

This has concerned me about the Linnstrument:
For fully polyphonic expressive control, you'll need a synth that's compatible with MPE (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression), a new MIDI standard for connecting expressive controllers and synths over standard MIDI.
What is real-life impact of this for Ableton Live users?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:05 pm

ChangoM wrote:This has concerned me about the Linnstrument:
For fully polyphonic expressive control, you'll need a synth that's compatible with MPE (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression), a new MIDI standard for connecting expressive controllers and synths over standard MIDI.
What is real-life impact of this for Ableton Live users?
Well, I'm sure Ableton will support MPE as soon as 2025, so will have to be ignored just like polyphonic aftertouch today as if it didn't exist.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Huh?

8O
:mrgreen:

More serious, can we dream about such expressivity in Push of a future version?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:07 pm

tedlogan wrote:Been eyeing this and the Seaboard as well as Madrona Labs' Soundplane for a while. Eventually I will go down one of those roads.
Have you had the opportunity to try these out hands-on?
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Been eyeing this and the Seaboard as well as Madrona Labs' Soundplane for a while. Eventually I will go down one of those roads.
Have you had the opportunity to try these out hands-on?
Nope I have not. But I reckon I will enjoy the experience, being a guitar player foremost. I am sometimes slightly frustrated trying to translate the extreme expressiveness of a guitar to a keyboard or pads.

An electric guitar with some pedals and your fingers is a very visceral thing, irrespective of genre.

I do respect that a piano, for example, is not a guitar and to not expect the same experience and that variety is a great spice.

I also have a pretty good time playing synths on Push. But if spare cash becomes available I'd like to have a Linnstrument or an equivalent.

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Real life impact for Live performers? None. There's no support for polyphonic aftertouch for example in native ableton devices. That said, you wouldn't necessarily need to map the every multidimensional aspect of this controller to use it with a synth, even if that synth had polyphonic aftertouch.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Why not just enjoy what you got today ?

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:53 pm

lovelight wrote:Why not just enjoy what you got today ?
I enjoy my Push 1 every single day. But the Linnstruments seems like very useful controllers, also without MPE support in Live.
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:38 pm

braduro wrote:Real life impact for Live performers? None. There's no support for polyphonic aftertouch for example in native ableton devices. That said, you wouldn't necessarily need to map the every multidimensional aspect of this controller to use it with a synth, even if that synth had polyphonic aftertouch.
u-he synths (for example), or Madrona Labs, and Reaper - sorted. Outside of the box of Live.
lovelight wrote:Why not just enjoy what you got today ?

I do. But there's always more. Otherwise why do anything? Might as well just enjoy being in existence and sit in a chair and enjoy breathing- why more? Because that's what we do.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am

Be brilliant to what you got, instead of hoping for the better, its really not about the newest of everything, constantly, but what you can do with what you got . Its just like the Iphone mania, ppl want the new model even if their existing works fine. you dont make good music because you got the most expencieve and newest of everything.

i know its a bit off topic, since it start with Linnstruments

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 pm

I agree with your sentiments love light but I don't believe anyone has made any comments regarding the topic you're talking about, I think they're just talking about how good or not the Linnstrument is and what it would be like to use it with live, correct me if I'm wrong?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:20 pm

I also agree with your sentiments Lovelight - I very very rarely buy any gear. Almost never. This includes synths. I just buy what I need to accomplish what I want to do. I prefer to try and master a few things instead of spreading myself all over the place.

But I like a more tactile experience with an instrument, and a Linnstrument or any similar expressive controller will fit the bill nicely for me.
As I mentioned, I love Push 1/2 and am very happy with it. But if I have spare cash some day, I just might add one of those controllers to my very small collection of equipment. Push simply cannot offer such an experience.

I shouldn't have to explain myself, but there you go. My phone is a Samsung S4 by the way - quite old, and all the PC and TV screens in my home are all still LCD. And I'm still on plain broadband, not fiber optic. Etc.