Disappointed By Push2's Step Sequencer

Discuss Push with other users.
Kahinar

Re: Disappointed By Push2's Step Sequencer

Post by Kahinar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Kahinar wrote:"if u are not using power adapter
Why is using a power supply such a big deal?
Why ableton don't fix this mistake and set a very very low dimm for turned on steps below 58 vel. I am sure it is not a big deal.
MacOsX 10.6 MacBookPro 2.33

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Mystic38 wrote:I hate to be pedantic, but if they say "use adapter if you want display and leds brighter" and you actually want the leds to be brighter then....?

Where are you actually using push 2 on USB power?.. in a closet or a coal mine?.. as frankly i find it unusable at all without the power supply.
Kahinar wrote:While Ableton introducing Push2, they was proud to say it is fully works with Usb power. (and they said, use adapter if you want display and leds brighter)
Lets accept this fail. this situation has no execuse. and it's very esy to fix for ableton.

maybe because of my english I can't express myself correctly.
I'm sayin again.. I don't want to see the pads brighter..ok?
in step sequencer on push2, when turn a step on and if you set it to velocity 58 or less, the button has no light. if you set it's vel to 59 or more, it has light.. so if a pad (in step sequencer) turned on, it has to be have a light some amount to see which step is active, which one is not..
so this is a problem. and it should be fixed. it is very easy to fix it.
why people are suggesting me to use power adapter. while there is a problem in push2 which have to fixed.
I have tones of reasons:
I' am very mobile sometimes.
I have only one electric source at some places where I work..
I really love to work on usb powered (Ableton told me that I can do it. why they said if it is not some kind of advantage?)
I want to be able to work on step sequencer when electricity gone.
etc.
if push has no usb bus powered,
I wouldn't be able to work wit push2 mobile
I would need to buy and carry a power plug splitter
I wouldn't have fun so much
I would have to stop working when electricity gone.

thanks Ableton, it is a great job. But please fix this simple mistake.
Last edited by Kahinar on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Kahinar wrote:
Kahinar wrote:While Ableton introducing Push2, they was proud to say it is fully works with Usb power.

maybe because of my english I can't express myself correctly.
I'm sayin again.. I don't want to see the pads brighter..ok?
in step sequencer on push2, when turn a step on and if you set it to velocity 58 or less, the button has no light. if you set it's vel to 59 or more, it has light.. so if a pad (in step sequencer) turned on, it has to be have a light some amount, to see which step is active, which one is not..

Where exactly does Ableton say proudly that Push 2 works without a Power Supply? Because one of the first things I learned was that the Push 2 needs a power supply. That's one of the reasons I stayed with Push 1.

Why does the Push 2 need a power supply? Likely the display.
If you want a Push that doesn't have to use one you can sell the Push 2 and get original Push instead. It's still great and PXT Live supports only the original.

Could Ableton still fix this issue of yours? I hope so and they should if they have promoted it as being usable without a power supply. But have they really?

Why aren't you already talking to Ableton support about this? Contact them now. See "Technical Support" at this page. If you're in another country you can call cheaply with Skype or similar or just write a message and do it via email.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 pm

This is what the manual says about Push 2 setup:
"After plugging in the included power supply and connecting the USB cable to your computer, turn Push 2 on via the power button in the back".
See 28.1 Setup.

This about the supply is not said about the original Push. If Ableton have said a power supply is not needed it's inconsistent with the communication about the Push 2 I've received and I was very interested in one at first.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Now, after having said all that I wonder if other Push 2 users also see this when not using the supply? Velocities less than 58 are visible or not?

Could it perhaps be a factor of the actual power of the USB bus of the computer in question? Can someone suggest a way to measure the available power? There are a number of situations where that would be handy for many users.

Or is this actually a problem with some of the push 2s and not with others?
Make some music!

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Stromkraft wrote:This is what the manual says about Push 2 setup:
"After plugging in the included power supply and connecting the USB cable to your computer, turn Push 2 on via the power button in the back".
See 28.1 Setup.

This about the supply is not said about the original Push. If Ableton have said a power supply is not needed it's inconsistent with the communication about the Push 2 I've received and I was very interested in one at first.

I think this is a kind of suggestion. they just want to be sure us to see display clearly if we unboxed and run push first time under sunlight etc..

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:41 am

Kahinar wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:This is what the manual says about Push 2 setup:
See 28.1 Setup.

I think this is a kind of suggestion. they just want to be sure us to see display clearly if we unboxed and run push first time under sunlight etc..
I think that is wishful thinking. Only Ableton know whether your problem can be rectified without a supply so probably a good idea to get in touch wth them.
Make some music!

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:26 am

monsoonmoon wrote:@ambientidm

does push 2 really work properly with numerology now? this would be awesome!
yup it works awesome and it blows all other sequencers away

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:26 pm

I use one of these, so I can power my Push 2 directly from my laptop.

It doesn't output enough current to run at full brightness but it's fine up to ~75-80% on both the display and buttons.

Without

With

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:23 pm

twisted-space wrote:I use one of these,
But, that's a power supply? 8O The OP specifically doesn't want that.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:22 pm

There may be reasons for not wanting a wall wart for a device (mobile use, convenience etc).

That is a pretty neat solution but of course would take an additional USB port and also drain battery much quicker from your laptop but does open up the possibility to use a portable USB battery charger as well.

For the cost that is certainly a nice device to have spare in your laptop bag.

If the OP seriously does not want to connect anything to power Push then what can you do. I am sure there is simply a limitation in the limited brightness display and the PWM required to dim the LEDs when unpowered. It may be fixable by making the LED's not Dim below "X" level when not powered by AC but then I guess complaints would be that you can't see the velocity level correctly.

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 am

I really don't know why you guys don't understand me. It is not about power supplement. it is not about how much power push2 needs and usb bus can't supply it.
if I turn on all the steps on the step sequencer on push2 (above 58 velocity), all the buttons on and they are all shining. so why they are not working when I set velocities below 59. if it is possible to supply when working with above 58, of course it should be same for above 59 vels. aslo if they set a dimmed level for them, it becomes much more energy efficien than other.
I hope you got it.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:23 am

Kahinar wrote:I really don't know why you guys don't understand me. It is not about power supplement. it is not about how much power push2 needs and usb bus can't supply it.
if I turn on all the steps on the step sequencer on push2 (above 58 velocity), all the buttons on and they are all shining. so why they are not working when I set velocities below 59. if it is possible to supply when working with above 58, of course it should be same for above 59 vels. aslo if they set a dimmed level for them, it becomes much more energy efficien than other.
I hope you got it.
i get what you are saying.

even using the power supply, steps can become invisible if you have your LED brightness turned down low (which i usually do).

the LED brightness setting determines the maximum brightness level for velocity 127. from there the firmware scales downwards for the lower velocity levels. if the maximum brightness level is too low, then obviously there is not enough visible range left for all the lower velocities.

one way they could fix this is by allowing us to also set the minimum step sequencer LED brightness level. the brightnesses range would be restricted, but you could then make sure that all velocity levels are visible. this would be a good feature request...
Last edited by fishmonkey on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:49 am

Yeah. Strange that in low power it is difficult to know if a note is even placed. Ideally there would be a simple 'off or on' implementation that is clear and velocity would be the secondary trait. But having velocity determine the visibility is just strange.

I'm sure something can be done in max, or even by customizing the factory script. But it shouldn't need to be necessary in the first place.

I think this would be a good feature request.