Push 2 and USB-C compatibility with dock or dongle?

Discuss Push with other users.
nori.lam

Push 2 and USB-C compatibility with dock or dongle?

Post by nori.lam » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 am

Is there anyone using their Push 2 with USB-C either through a dock or dongle?
Any performance problems at all?

Looking to get a new MBP tb but am concerned about compatibility with Push 2.
I know in theory it should just work but be nice if someone knows for sure :)

Bonehead

Re: Push 2 and USB-C compatibility with dock or dongle?

Post by Bonehead » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 am

Over the last few weeks I've been testing the Push 2 with a 2015- retina Macbook (macOS Sierra) using a dongle. Haven't noticed any issues so far. Been using it bus-powered that too. Need to get a dongle with 2 USB ports though, so I can hook up a keyboard as well. It should definitely run on the new MBP with no issues.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:24 am

Bonehead wrote:Over the last few weeks I've been testing the Push 2 with a 2015- retina Macbook (macOS Sierra) using a dongle. Haven't noticed any issues so far. Been using it bus-powered that too. Need to get a dongle with 2 USB ports though, so I can hook up a keyboard as well. It should definitely run on the new MBP with no issues.
Thanks for the info :)

It would be great if some could confirm that Push 2 works with a USB-C -> USB-A/B dongle/dock. Like you said, it 'should' work but I have read there are some problems with certain adapters not being recognized.

If I have it right, it has something to do with the power draw between USB 3.1 and 2.0

Eater Of Worlds

Post by Eater Of Worlds » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Very interested in this as well! Just got a new MBP and also took advantage of the discount to finally get Push. Anybody tried using a USB-B to USB-C cable to replace the original A to B one? It would be great not to have to use a dongle or hub... but I don't want to fry Push either! :lol:

Lovepants

Post by Lovepants » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread but did anyone get an answer to the question as to whether Push 2 will work with a USB-C dongle?

I've got a new MackBook Pro (with touchstrip) and it only has USB-C ports. I've used two different Apple branded dongles and Push 2 won't work with either of them.

Plug it into my Mac Pro via USB and it works fine.

I've tried two different dongles, and two different USB cables, but it doesn't work on the MBP but works fine on the Mac Pro.

Has anyone got Push 2 working on a Trackbar MacBook Pro?

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am

yep...working without any problems here...push2 connected via apple usb-c to usb-a adapter or via my caldigit usb-c dock...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Lovepants

Post by Lovepants » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Oh blooming heck. Back to the drawing board then.

Thanks for letting me know.

liamback

Post by liamback » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Lovepants wrote:Sorry to resuscitate an old thread but did anyone get an answer to the question as to whether Push 2 will work with a USB-C dongle?

I've got a new MackBook Pro (with touchstrip) and it only has USB-C ports. I've used two different Apple branded dongles and Push 2 won't work with either of them.

Plug it into my Mac Pro via USB and it works fine.

I've tried two different dongles, and two different USB cables, but it doesn't work on the MBP but works fine on the Mac Pro.

Has anyone got Push 2 working on a Trackbar MacBook Pro?
Have you solved this issue? I have the same problem. works via usb on my old Mac book. But can't connect it to the MacBook Pro 2018 model. I have a usb-c to usb dongles with three attached. my midi keyboard and encoders work well but the push doesn't. I think it needs more power or something that it doesn't get via a dongle?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Working fine here using a Belkin USB B to USB C connector, no additional power connected to it...

Cheers
D

radio-emanon

Post by radio-emanon » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 am

hi, any solutions ultimately found? i'm trying to use a push 2 on a 2020 macbook pro so it only has thunderbolt ports. i've tried a dongle type converter (from apple) and various usb to usbc hubs (good quality ones but unpowered) but the midi connection is wonky and keeps dropping. i've emailed support as well, their initial soltn didnt work and i'm still waiting to hear back.

it works totally fine on my older 2013 imac and old school usb hub.

any recommendations on a hub that would work or any other solution would be dope. thanks!!!!!