Push and Native Instrument Presets

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
kr0buks

Push and Native Instrument Presets

Post by kr0buks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Regarding Komplete on Push 2...

1. Can you access everything from the browser on the hardware?
2. Do the "most relevant" (the Native Map feature I believe) presets show on the control knobs like they do on Maschine or Komplete Kontrol?
3. Can someone comment overall how browsing NI instruments looks on Push 2? Is it similar to when browsing on NI's hardware?

If there is a video out there showing this, please link it. I've been searching and cannot find anything. A lot of it is older threads, and it seems significant changes have been made to both Live and NI's stuff since then.

Thanks!

Bdumaguina

Re: Push and Native Instrument Presets

Post by Bdumaguina » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:15 pm

I can only speak for NI vsts and plug ins that come with NI Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards and from my experience.

For NI instruments:
As long as you add this option
-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1

to your Options.txt file, you will be able to see banks of all automatable parameters in that synth, fx, etc.
In my case this only works well with Massive and Supercharger, for Kontakt and Reaktor you will only see random numbers.

For Komplete Kontrol, as long as you use the included Komplete Kontrol VST.adg they provide. You will be able to control the 8 macros while you browse presets. But you won't be able to see the name of the parameter your controlling as the Push display does not update this. And there is no way (that I know of) to browse presets from the Push, which is a bummer. So I still have Kontrol open and look at my screen while I turn knobs on the Push to see what I'm moving. Unlike on the S-Series keyboard, where you can do these things directly from the hardware.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:41 am

kr0buks wrote:Regarding Komplete on Push 2...

1. Can you access everything from the browser on the hardware?
2. Do the "most relevant" (the Native Map feature I believe) presets show on the control knobs like they do on Maschine or Komplete Kontrol?
3. Can someone comment overall how browsing NI instruments looks on Push 2? Is it similar to when browsing on NI's hardware?
>AudioModder, premapped presets.
>Sigabort Preditor from Isotonik Studios, custom controller mapping.
Make some music!

Bdumaguina

Post by Bdumaguina » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 am

Didn't know about audiomodder. Thanks for sharing this.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 pm

I think it is fair to mention a bug, that has been confirmed by Ableton support.
When controlling 3rd party plugins, it can happen that, while controlling certain parameters, there is a mismatch between Push 2's screen and the plugin / it's GUI. I found NI Monark, u-he ACE, u-he Podolski and Synth 1 to be affected. Someone else mentioned u-he Hive. So there is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly with all parameters. Certainly not as smooth as the combination of NKS and Komplete Kontrol. This bug also occurs with tools like Ubermap or PrEditor. Don't know whether Audiomodder products are affected as well, but they might be as it has been said that this bug is a problem with Push/its firmware. If or when this bug would be fixed was not communicated.
Push is great with Live's own devices, with 3rd party plugins it is not as reliable.

kr0buks

Post by kr0buks » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:48 pm

I picked up a copy of Live Suite and Push 2 for $999 on black friday (no tax!). The audiomodder presets looks very cool. Definitely excited to start working with Push.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:40 am

Horselover Fat wrote:I think it is fair to mention a bug, that has been confirmed by Ableton support.
When controlling 3rd party plugins, it can happen that, while controlling certain parameters, there is a mismatch between Push 2's screen and the plugin / it's GUI. I found NI Monark, u-he ACE, u-he Podolski and Synth 1 to be affected. Someone else mentioned u-he Hive. So there is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly with all parameters. Certainly not as smooth as the combination of NKS and Komplete Kontrol. This bug also occurs with tools like Ubermap or PrEditor. Don't know whether Audiomodder products are affected as well, but they might be as it has been said that this bug is a problem with Push/its firmware. If or when this bug would be fixed was not communicated.
Push is great with Live's own devices, with 3rd party plugins it is not as reliable.
Never had that problem, I have NI monark & Synth1 with no issues, I have my NI presets racked up within NI Komplete Kontrol as well, as can browse them all easily from Push2.
Live 10,Push 2, KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Eventide H9, Komplete 12, Hydrasynth, NDLR, Bass Station2, Jupiter Xm Alesis Multi Strike Pad

kr0buks

Post by kr0buks » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Horselover Fat wrote:I think it is fair to mention a bug, that has been confirmed by Ableton support.
Never had that problem, I have NI monark & Synth1 with no issues, I have my NI presets racked up within NI Komplete Kontrol as well, as can browse them all easily from Push2.
Are you using the audiomodder that was mentioned? Or is it all just working as is?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Are you using the audiomodder that was mentioned? Or is it all just working as is?[/quote]

I have used the Audiomodder stuff, but was missing a few pieces from NI that audiomodder hadnt done, but easy to do yourself with Komplete Kontrol, much easier than using Ableton Instrument racks.
Live 10,Push 2, KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Eventide H9, Komplete 12, Hydrasynth, NDLR, Bass Station2, Jupiter Xm Alesis Multi Strike Pad

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:59 am

Horselover Fat wrote: When controlling 3rd party plugins, it can happen that, while controlling certain parameters, there is a mismatch between Push 2's screen and the plugin / it's GUI. I found NI Monark…

This bug also occurs with tools like Ubermap or PrEditor. Don't know whether Audiomodder products are affected as well, but they might be
Ubermap, AudioModder and PrEditor build on the native mapping system, albeit with different setups, as do manual mapping. Unless this is a setup issue or what is added to this uses different mechanisms, all are likely to be affected and this mismatch should be fixed by Ableton.

The only mismatch I've experienced in Komplete is the Monark filter type showing the value for the 2nd type in Push (original)after changing back to the 1st and while Monark shows the correct latter one. Besides this I don't find that Live is bad at controlling third party plug-ins when using the original Push. I can't speak for the Push 2.
Make some music!

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:56 am

Has anyone used Preditor with Komplete Kontrol?

For me, it'll be much quicker If I can just copy the NKS setup of the plugins I use (mainly Komplete and Diva). However, whenever I try to rack a Komplete Kontrol instance with the ++ suffix I just get errors.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 am

Mark Williams wrote:Never had that problem, I have NI monark & Synth1 with no issues, I have my NI presets racked up within NI Komplete Kontrol as well, as can browse them all easily from Push2.
Interesting. Would you try the following?
- load Monark
- control OSC1WAVE via Push slowly over the whole range back and forth and watch closely whether the value on Push stays constantly in sync with Monark's GUI
The mismatch seems to occur at maximum or minimum values and sometimes it prevails until you switch to a different bank and back. This is without Ubermap or PrEditor.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Horselover Fat wrote:
Mark Williams wrote:Never had that problem, I have NI monark & Synth1 with no issues, I have my NI presets racked up within NI Komplete Kontrol as well, as can browse them all easily from Push2.
- load Monark
- control OSC1WAVE via Push slowly over the whole range back and forth and watch closely whether the value on Push stays constantly in sync with Monark's GUI
The mismatch seems to occur at maximum or minimum values and sometimes it prevails until you switch to a different bank and back. This is without Ubermap or PrEditor.
Ok I loaded Monark via Reaktor and tried what you asked, and all ok here, so I tried via Komplete Kontrol as well, and found that the OSC1WAVE control is even faster, so no issues using either way for me using Push 2. I dont have Ubermap or PrEditor.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Horselover Fat wrote:
- load Monark
Ok I loaded Monark via Reaktor and tried what you asked, and all ok here, so I tried via Komplete Kontrol as well, and found that the OSC1WAVE control is even faster, so no issues using either way for me using Push 2. I dont have Ubermap or PrEditor.
This is puzzling, but thank you very much for trying.