spilling wine on my push

Discuss Push with other users.
re:dream

spilling wine on my push

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 pm

So I have a rule of no beverages near my music equipment

A rule which I break.

yesterday I (1) switched the desk light off first as I was packing up and then (2) in the resulting dark knocked over a wine glass standing right above my push.

A chardonnay that tasted like rat's piss, actually.

Panic stations. I shook all the wine out of the instrument and then balanced it upside down on some books for the night.

This morning it was still working, thankfully.

But I am wondering about the dangers of long term corrosion

Should I be?

I will take it to a technician, but i wondered whether anyone had advice.

Or just scorn and recriminations to heap on my head.

:|

Angstrom

Re: spilling wine on my push

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:40 pm

That was bold turning it on again just a day later! I'd have left if a few days, liquid evaporates more slowly in enclosed units.

FYI this is what a push2 looks like on the inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItWQdJgXLs

The main matrix is handily covered by one big rubber sheet. The side button elements are sealed units, which is handy for wine-proofing. My personal worry would be the encoders, so it depends where on the unit you splashed it.

Wine is sugary and will turn toward the acidic as it oxidises, which isn't that great for delicate components - including that magic rubber sheet..
In the past I spent about 15 years draining idiot punters drinks out of my gear and most of it still works fine, so you are probably OK. But it might be worth popping it open and taking a look for any bad signs (and to make sure its completely dry in there). Opening gear and cleaning it is usually pretty simple, especially with youtube to guide you. So if you feel like getting intimate with your push you could pop it open and take a look around to set your mind at rest.

In fact right this minute I'm cleaning inside my ancient MS20, which was drowned in beer several times and lived in a haze of oily smokemachine fluid.
Still works

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:02 pm

re:dream wrote:So I have a rule of no beverages near my music equipment

A rule which I break.

yesterday I (1) switched the desk light off first as I was packing up and then (2) in the resulting dark knocked over a wine glass standing right above my push.

A chardonnay that tasted like rat's piss, actually.

Panic stations. I shook all the wine out of the instrument and then balanced it upside down on some books for the night.

This morning it was still working, thankfully.

But I am wondering about the dangers of long term corrosion

Should I be?

I will take it to a technician, but i wondered whether anyone had advice.

Or just scorn and recriminations to heap on my head.

:|
I had water spilled on mine. I left it off for a few days. It is still working fine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:59 pm

I would definitely be opening mine up to clean it out, or taking it to someone who could. Especially with red wine. The video Angstrom linked you to shows how it's done, easy enough aside from removing the rubber feet.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:09 am

No scorn yet for your silliness? Wow, sympathetic lot here.
:lol:
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Guys, Long time no see :P

If you're worried about corrosion from the grapes (alcohol will evaporate) I would suggest opening it up.

You can use a small stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol to scrub any place where you see the wine has reached.
Order some KimWipes http://a.co/9Gs487h and you can use them to soak up any debris while you scrub through the KimWipe with alcohol and a small brush. This is what I use to clean circuit boards at work and have used in the past at the music repair shop with everything from beer to cat urine. Once it's all cleaned up you won't have to worry about any issues down the road.

Just remember never to force anything when disassembling. If it doesn't come apart fairly easy then you are probably missed a screw or a clip. Take your time and move slowly while you disassemble and reassemble, I suggest using an ice cube tray to hold various screws.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Bdumaguina

Post by Bdumaguina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm

I have a 3 year old Push 1 that's starting to be sticky all over the place except the buttons, pads and knobs. Anyone else experiencing this? Also, would you go about cleaning it similarly as stated above? With isoprophl alcohol? Thanks.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:49 am

it's a proven fact that wine spills more easily than any other alcoholic beverage

Buttmunch

Post by Buttmunch » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Bdumaguina wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm
I have a 3 year old Push 1 that's starting to be sticky all over the place except the buttons, pads and knobs. Anyone else experiencing this? Also, would you go about cleaning it similarly as stated above? With isoprophl alcohol? Thanks.
I had the same problem , I have tried to clean it with various cleaners and just gave up . Last night I spilled a glass of water and bicarbonate soda all over it. I will leave it a few days to dry out . A new push 2 is too pricey for me.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 am

Get a screw driver and learn how to disassemble and clean it. With an hour of work you could have it all cleaned up and working like new again, it's not that hard. A skill worth learning if you are going to drink around your gear with butter fingers.

ORyan87

Post by ORyan87 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Learned that lesson years ago, never have drinks around gear - just put it on the floor.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 am

Hard to reach the knobs down by your feet though :(
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:03 am

Tarekith wrote: