Infuriating routing issue Drum rack + Kontakt + Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
Dummy14000

Infuriating routing issue Drum rack + Kontakt + Push 2

Post by Dummy14000 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

This seems like it should be a lot easier to do, but I can't seem to figure out a way to make this work.

I have a 64 pad drum rack, with the Push 2.

I want the drum rack to have some pads that trigger drums in Kontakt, and some pads that just act like normal drum rack pads that trigger local samples.

The kicker, is that I want to place the Kontakt pads wherever I want to place them. For example, I want to trigger the kick drum in Kontakt, but I want to do that from the A3 pad on the Push. Or whatever note on the drum rack to trigger c1 in Kontakt.

All of the tutorials I've found seem to just match the sounds directly. So C1 on the push just plays C1 in Kontakt. I've been able to make a drum rack that does this just fine.

This doesn't do me any good though because if I follow the default mapping, the drum pads are not in the locations I want to play with. With the way I've set up a kit, if I route a different pad to Kontakt, it will play the appropriate pad in Kontakt, but it also plays the original note triggered by the pad. It'll play two pads at once instead of transposing the note I'm playing to the Kontakt pad.

This is the tutorial I've found that maps the pads in Kontakt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clrjxIayM0w Like I said, it works fine if you do a 1 to 1 mapping, where c1 is equal to c1 in Kontakt. I want to be able to play whatever note I want in the drum rack, and route that to whatever note I want it to play in Kontakt.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that lets me map a drum rack the way I'm describing?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Infuriating routing issue Drum rack + Kontakt + Push 2

Post by [jur] » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Where is your Kontakt instance?
It sounds like it receiving multiple midi inputs, i.e the one from your drum rack and probably one directly from Push.
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong in your routing rather than a bug (but I might be wrong).
Ableton Forum Moderator

login

Post by login » Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 am

By default all pads on a drum rack send C3, you have to change the note that is played by each pad on the drum rack chain configuration. I would suggest to consult the manual on this, section 18.6

Are you using one or various instances of kontakt? are you using external instrument for routing audio and midi to and from kontakt?

Dummy14000

Post by Dummy14000 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 pm

login wrote:By default all pads on a drum rack send C3, you have to change the note that is played by each pad on the drum rack chain configuration. I would suggest to consult the manual on this, section 18.6

Are you using one or various instances of kontakt? are you using external instrument for routing audio and midi to and from kontakt?
I read that section of the documentation. It didn't help.

I'm all ears in terms of trying different things.

Let me make it really simple... I have a drum rack and I want cells C1 and E1 to play the note C1 in Kontakt. Two pads in a drum rack, one sound in a Kontakt instrument. How do I do this?

orionka

Post by orionka » Mon May 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Dummy14000

Post by Dummy14000 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 pm

orionka wrote:Image
This way "works". It lets me link whatever pad I want to whatever I want in Kontakt. The problem is that it opens up countless instances of Kontakt. It defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I'm looking for one instance of Kontakt.

If done properly, I should be able to switch drum sets in Kontakt and my drum rack still lines up properly. Theoretically because I'm linking my pads to standard drum mappings
my kit should line up with any drum vst.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Mon May 29, 2017 7:53 pm

you only need to have kontakt sitting on one of the pads. the rest are external instruments only.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

orionka

Post by orionka » Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 am

yes... like mothergarage says, One instance... it receives all notes played on the rack. Filter notes you don't want to hear with a MIDI effect rack.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Tue May 30, 2017 7:27 am

@Dummy

I get now what you meant.

Put the Kontakt instance on a pad way down.
Set a Midi pitch device on the pads you want Kontakt to play a drum.
next an External Instrument, select Battery in it's Midi To menu.
With the pitch device you can now select which Kontakt drum to play.

Alternatively ommit the pitch device and set the note in the chain list under "play"
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Dummy14000

Post by Dummy14000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:00 am

mothergarage wrote:@Dummy

I get now what you meant.

Put the Kontakt instance on a pad way down.
Set a Midi pitch device on the pads you want Kontakt to play a drum.
next an External Instrument, select Battery in it's Midi To menu.
With the pitch device you can now select which Kontakt drum to play.

Alternatively ommit the pitch device and set the note in the chain list under "play"
THIS WORKED

Thanks.