Using push2 with a usb hub

Discuss Push with other users.
crd

Using push2 with a usb hub

Post by crd » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get push2 to work with a usb hub, specifically electron's overhub. I am having no luck. My computer is a late 2015 MacBook Pro. Push 2 works fine when plugged directly in to the computer but does not go beyond the opening Ableton logo when plugged in to the overhub. In my system information it says "please use usb2.0 socket". Overhub is usb3.0 but I though 2.0 devices work fine with 3.0 devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything is up to date.

Stromkraft

Re: Using push2 with a usb hub

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:49 pm

crd wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get push2 to work with a usb hub, specifically electron's overhub. I am having no luck.
Use the Power Supply.
Make some music!

crd

Post by crd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Push is obviously powered. It just will not work through the USB hub, even with nothing else plugged in to the hub. Everything on my Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 is up to date. Push works fine when plugged directly in to the computer.

In system information, it says "Please use USB2.0 socket for Push 2". Overhub is usb3.0 but it should work fine for 2.0 devices.

Any ideas about what I could do to make this work?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Maybe ask on the Elektronauts forum to see if anyone else there has run into this. Using Push2 with a Pluggable usb3 hub here with no issues at all.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm

crd wrote:Push is obviously powered. It just will not work through the USB hub, even with nothing else plugged in to the hub.
It's obviously not working for you!
This is a symptom that there's a reason that
  • The manual for Push 2 under "Setup" says "After plugging in the included power supply…" whereas the Push 1 manual says "Push will be automatically detected as soon as it is connected to a USB port on your computer."

That the Push 2 may work anyway sometimes is simply not something you can count on.
  • That the hub needs to be powered to even drive a Push 1, without that power hungry display of the Push 2. Everything connected that needs power in the hub draws from it so that the actual total you can get into this hub is very important. How do you know you have enough? You really think technology works by magic and wishful thinking? Check what your machine can deliver.
Also see is it safe to connect push 2 to a powered usb hub?.
Make some music!

crd

Post by crd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
crd wrote:Push is obviously powered. It just will not work through the USB hub, even with nothing else plugged in to the hub.
It's obviously not working for you!
This is a symptom that there's a reason that
  • The manual for Push 2 under "Setup" says "After plugging in the included power supply…" whereas the Push 1 manual says "Push will be automatically detected as soon as it is connected to a USB port on your computer."

That the Push 2 may work anyway sometimes is simply not something you can count on.
  • That the hub needs to be powered to even drive a Push 1, without that power hungry display of the Push 2. Everything connected that needs power in the hub draws from it so that the actual total you can get into this hub is very important. How do you know you have enough? You really think technology works by magic and wishful thinking? Check what your machine can deliver.
Also see is it safe to connect push 2 to a powered usb hub?.
Push 2 never works for me through the electron overhub usb hub. Whether or not, it is powered it still does not work. Other things work fine through the overhub. I am not counting on wishful thinking-- I bought these tools after a lot of research and need them to work as advertised.

RIP cheese grater Mac tower. I miss you.

doublestop

Post by doublestop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:15 am

I have to weigh in here! I have been struggling with this issue a lot recntly! The problem I have is that the place where I want it located is just too far for the the cable that comes with it! I have burned through 3 USB 3.0 Powered hubs and it continues to be a problem when trying to use a HUB!! I even have noticed that plugging it into a 3.0 port directly to my Windows 10 computer can be a problem. I had always opted for a 3.0 port (HUB or otherwise) because I figured that the higher throughput would only help.

Only recently troubleshooting my powered Hub issues... I crawled under my desk and took a peek again at the back of my PC. I realized that I do have a couple of ports in the back of the computer that are only USB 2.0. hmmm! I thought... What if????? So I plugged a USB 10 foot extension cable into the Push 2 and plugged the extension into a USB 2.0 port.... What do you know!!! NO issues! Maybe someone can correct me here.. but MAYBE .. just MAYBE the problem is one where a device designed for USB 2.0 just does not work well with USB 3.0??? Especially where it has to negotiate a USB3.0 hub interface? My guess is that the primary problem is the Incoming data to the Push2 where a considerable real time display is required. I would wager the Outgoing stream is considerably smaller.
It just amazes me that given the sophistication of this device (and The Increasingly wide use of USB3.0 as the defacto standard) that someone at Ableton has not tackled this issue!!! This restriction against Using a Powered Hub seems like a ridiculous limitation to me!

I should mention here that I also have a Mac Mini (in a different residence I stay at occasionally) which Only has 3.0 ports (and there I plug the PUSH2 into a Hub..) and do Not see this issue at all! . I have notice this is Primarily a problem with recent versions of Windows 10. I did not have these issues until this past year.

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 am

crd wrote:Everything on my Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 is up to date. [...] Overhub
I have VERY similar setup. I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015 and OverHub, all the software is up to date and Push 2 is connected through the hub and works great!

doublestop

Post by doublestop » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

I am pretty sure I came across "official" documentation somewhere that states that Push2 does NOT work with USB 3.0. .. or at least that it's performance with USB 3 is questionable. I'm still mystified about why they have not fixed this yet! As time goes on... Less and less computing devices will continue to provide USB 2.0 ports, so this is a problem! USB 3 is supposed to be "USB 2.0" compatible.. but in this case it's obviously not true.

Gregwaah

Post by Gregwaah » Fri May 04, 2018 5:41 pm

I have my Push 2 connected to a combi usb hub, with 4 usb 2 and 3 usb 3 ports. The hub is connected to my laptop using a usb 3 port. I have never had any issues at all with this hub. Other makes of usb hubs have been nothing but a pain in the arse.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 04, 2018 6:17 pm

My whole studio uses USB3 and Push 2 has no issues with it at all.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

login

Post by login » Fri May 04, 2018 6:51 pm

I also use Push with a USB 3.0 hub with no problems. Or directly to a USB 3.0 port to my PC.

Nevertheless I remember Overhub had some issues at release, maybe the newer units are better.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri May 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:Using Push2 with a Pluggable usb3 hub here with no issues at all.
Same. I have had issues with other hubs, Pluggable hasn't let me down yet.

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Dredging up an old thread here…

You guys that are successfully using push2 through a usb hub, can you chime in and say what specific hub brand you are using?

Thanks!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:16 pm

I use a crappy Digitech USB hub and Push works fine. This is on PC tho and that isn’t as much of a drama queen as Mac when it comes to things being plugged in.