Push 2 display turning on and off

Discuss Push with other users.
Cube1903

Push 2 display turning on and off

Post by Cube1903 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello everyone,
Whenever I turn my push 2 on, everything (pads, knobs,...) works fine but the display keeps turning on and off : every 6 or 7 seconds it seems to restart over and over... It's really anoying and I tried to change my power management settings, uploaded all the drivers, uninstalled and re-installed the pus 2 drivers, changed the usb port, updated graphic card... But nothing works. Here are my specs : i7 6800k/32Gb Ram/ Gtx 1070 and Live 9.7.2 turning on Windows 10.
Did anyone of you have had this problem ?
Thanks in advance for your answers

Tarekith

Re: Push 2 display turning on and off

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:59 pm

For an issue like that I'd suggest contacting support@ableton.com

Cube1903

Post by Cube1903 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Already did, waiting for their response...

outofocus

Post by outofocus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:17 am

Do you have any other control surfaces activated in the prefs?
I had similar issues and discovered that another active control script was the problem.

Cube1903

Post by Cube1903 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Nope... The problem is caused by google chrome : when it's closed, everything works fine. So I just need to close google chrome... not a big issue but kinda strange

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Cube1903 wrote:Nope... The problem is caused by google chrome : when it's closed, everything works fine. So I just need to close google chrome... not a big issue but kinda strange
Are you using the power supply? If not, please try with it and use Chrome. Probably that's not related, but I understand many Push 2 users, for some reason, seem to think they can always use Push 2 without the power supply and have no issues even though quite a bit points at this not being so.

In your case, heavy power using applications, such as Chrome can be, could mean your machine can't deliver as much feed on the USB bus as otherwise. While I do think it shouldn't work that way I've seen enough USB bus power related issues to understand that it could be so. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to measure bus power under different circumstances.
Make some music!

Cube1903

Post by Cube1903 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Well, I always use it with the power supply. Ableton told me it was probably a problem with the graphics card but I can't explain why... I have a Gtx1070 wich should be powerful enough and all drivers are updated.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 am

Cube1903 wrote:Well, I always use it with the power supply.
Good for you!
Cube1903 wrote:Ableton told me it was probably a problem with the graphics card but I can't explain why... I have a Gtx1070 wich should be powerful enough and all drivers are updated.
Really though? That's what they said would be a part of the problem? I had no idea the graphics card was even involved driving the Push 2 display. See for instance the discussion Push2DisplayProcess. If it's the graphics card doing the driving what is indeed the Push2DisplayProcess actually doing?

Actually I've wished for graphics card support for the Push 2.

Hmmm, maybe they meant Chrome was using the graphics card heavily and that this somehow affected the Push2DisplayProcess indirectly? That would seem even more odd to me though. Did you ask them to clarify?
Make some music!

Cube1903

Post by Cube1903 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Really though? That's what they said would be a part of the problem? I had no idea the graphics card was even involved driving the Push 2 display. If it's the graphics card doing the driving what is indeed the Push2DisplayProcess actually doing?
Well I don't know what Push2Displayprocess is actually doing but when my Push 2 is open I can see it in my graphics card's activity http://imgur.com/a/SoHFl
Stromkraft wrote: Hmmm, maybe they meant Chrome was using the graphics card heavily and that this somehow affected the Push2DisplayProcess indirectly? That would seem even more odd to me though. Did you ask them to clarify?

They told me that the problem I had was "often indicative of an error that occurs between the Push 2 and the graphics card of the PC" and that I needed to update my graphics card's drivers (wich were already updated).
I didn't asked them to clarify (I was happy that my problem was resolved) but I can ask them if you're curious about it.

Anyway, the problem with chrome may occur only with me : I have a lot (100+) of tabs that are open... I'll try to close most of them and try to open Ableton and chrome but with only one or two tabs, to see if that changes anything.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:08 pm

100+ tabs?

That's insane. Have a look in your task manager and see just how much resources that many tabs consume. In fact, that would cause Live (and your PC) to run very poorly. Each tab is basically another instance of Chrome. I'd be getting into the habit of closing your browser where possible.

Cube1903

Post by Cube1903 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm

I know, it's a really bad habit but it's usually stuff that I don't have time to look at during the week... Now I'm in vacations so I will look them all. Google takes around 6% processor and 20% of memory

kwasinti

Post by kwasinti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 am

Thank you! This was driving me absolutely nuts. Worked magic.

Would love to know more about what's going on technically. I'm also someone who keeps a lot of tabs open.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:59 am

I can't understand why people have huge amounts of other apps open while doing something like audio production. Hell, I have a script that force closes everything not related to the DAW when I launch it just to make things work as good as they can.

Chrome is a resource hog with just one instance. I currently have Chrome open with 5 tabs and it takes close to 1GB ram and 4-12% CPU. Thats all resources the DAW cannot use.

Just close your web browser.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Chrome has built-in MIDI support which may conflict. Especially on windows installations where the loading order matters.
And it doesn't help that Chrome is usually like half of all the apps running. With only 1 tab open, chrome is running 5 instances of chrome-helper. Collectively using about 4 times the resources of the main Chrome process.
But I'm running 2 adblockers, which are huge resource hogs on ad-laden websites. Just opening Youtube doubles the memory usage.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 am

to deal with having a lot of tabs open i use multiple web browsers...