Recording Guitar into Push 2...apologies, beginner

Discuss Push with other users.
AdieHowe

Recording Guitar into Push 2...apologies, beginner

Post by AdieHowe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm a bit confused on how to do this. I am trying to record guitar into an audio track on Push 2. Can someone please give me an idiot guide to do this? The tutorials I've seen are on how to record vinyl into an audio track.

My setup is guitar into a focusrite audio interface and then into the Push 2 controller. All I am after doing is creating a beat and then adding a guitar loop of say 4 bars to go over the top of it, how do I achieve this? Apologies for the lack of understanding, I've seen sustain pedals mentioned etc but can I achieve my aim with my current setup?

Sorry if I have missed any posts on this earlier, I've tried searching and also YouTube but all I see are performances and no tutorial on setting up the audio track from scratch through to a finished guitar loop.

Any help at all would be brilliant!! Thanks guys

yur2die4

Re: Recording Guitar into Push 2...apologies, beginner

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Have you gotten close before? Do you have any examples of something you've tried?

First have a channel that your guitar can play into (set monitoring to In so you won't need to 'arm' the channel) and a channel playing drum loops.

If you can hear the guitar and hear the drums, next create another audio channel and set it to receive audio from the channel that works with guitar. Set monitoring to Off and ARM that channel.

Okay the Drum loop first.

Make sure Push is in Session view. You'll probably have the Drum loop glowing and a light red vertical strip for your guitar input channel.

Play guitar to the Drum loop and while playing guitar tap one of the buttons on the red strip.

Keep playing guitar and while continuing to play guitar tap the button on the red strip a few second later (or after you've counted your playing being recorded for about four bars.

Never hit 'stop'. The guitar loop should begin to play automatically along to the drums. But you should also still be able to hear your guitar incase you want to continue jamming over that heat you just looped.

Note: global quantization settings help make it easy to time loops. Hit one of those slots along the red strip just before the first beat (not during or after) to have it prep to start recording. Then it will automatically proceed along to the beat. Then just before the end of those 4 bars (not During the very very end and not after the end) tap that pad again.

There is probably a way to do it using pedals connected to Push, but it helps to first understand how to do it on the pads/grid.

AdieHowe

Post by AdieHowe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Have you gotten close before? Do you have any examples of something you've tried?

First have a channel that your guitar can play into (set monitoring to In so you won't need to 'arm' the channel) and a channel playing drum loops.

If you can hear the guitar and hear the drums, next create another audio channel and set it to receive audio from the channel that works with guitar. Set monitoring to Off and ARM that channel.

Okay the Drum loop first.

Make sure Push is in Session view. You'll probably have the Drum loop glowing and a light red vertical strip for your guitar input channel.

Play guitar to the Drum loop and while playing guitar tap one of the buttons on the red strip.

Keep playing guitar and while continuing to play guitar tap the button on the red strip a few second later (or after you've counted your playing being recorded for about four bars.

Never hit 'stop'. The guitar loop should begin to play automatically along to the drums. But you should also still be able to hear your guitar incase you want to continue jamming over that heat you just looped.

Note: global quantization settings help make it easy to time loops. Hit one of those slots along the red strip just before the first beat (not during or after) to have it prep to start recording. Then it will automatically proceed along to the beat. Then just before the end of those 4 bars (not During the very very end and not after the end) tap that pad again.

There is probably a way to do it using pedals connected to Push, but it helps to first understand how to do it on the pads/grid.
YEEEESSSS :D this sounds like what I've seen people doing on youtube....just need to figure out how to carry out your instructions above.

So do I need 2 audio tracks - 1 monitoring IN and 1 monitoring OUT? I'll create all of my other beats in midi tracks.

Never gotten close haha, always just worked on small midi projects but want to add some guitar and distort it using audio effects.

Thanks for your help :D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah give it a shot. Let us know if it works out. If not we can troubleshoot.