a uniform velocity/aftertouch rating for pad controllers?

Discuss Push with other users.
analog_rome

a uniform velocity/aftertouch rating for pad controllers?

Post by analog_rome » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 pm

just a thought while browsing pad controllers... controller manufacturers should implement a standard measure of sensitivity -- a spec listing what pressure (kg/cm? I don't science) is required for (off the top of my head) a velocity of 127; a velocity of 16; and also maybe the same measurement of what pressure is required for high and low aftertouch values.

Then you could shop controllers with a much better idea of how the pads will work for your style.

Not a substitute for actually trying a controller out, but would be helpful.

jestermgee

Re: a uniform velocity/aftertouch rating for pad controllers?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:29 am

There are a lot more variables that that though. Some controllers have a simple adjustment for sensitivity, some have both sensitivity and a scale. Some may have the same pad sensitivity but one has softer pads than the other, some have thick heavy pads, some have thin shitty pads. Then there is the differences in people's own playing styles where someone may rate the pad as a 7 and someone else may rate it as a 4. Same as keyboards. What works for one ain't always going to be the cream for another.

Many years ago I did my research and bought an Akai MPD32 because I wanted to hammer out drums and needed some controls. It had pretty good reviews of the pad sensitivity but with some saying they needed to modify it to make it work for them. I struggled for weeks to get a good response out of it and finally ordered pad spacer kit from MPC Stuff which improved the controller (for me) 10x over.

analog_rome

Post by analog_rome » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Well, I see what you mean, but what made me think about this is that there can be objective measurements of a pad's response that would be helpful.

Like, no matter what the pad feels like or how sensitivity is adjusted there is still an absolute minimum force required to get maximum velocity (the kg per cm (?) needed to get 128 when all settings are at most sensitive). And at the other end of the scale, the minimum force needed for the most delicate triggering.

As a finger drummer who hits a pad more like a piano key than a drumhead, I know that I can adjust the push velocity curve to fit me perfectly. So if I see that another pad controller has a similar total range of force required I know I can probably dial it in to work for my style.

Kind of like choosing a guitar string based on it's gauge, or a drum stick based on its labelled weight and diameter.

login

Post by login » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Pressure applied meassured in grams is the correct way to do it, and I am pretty sure most companies use it internally for development and ordering parts.