Writing custom Ubermap config for Serum and other VST?

Discuss Push with other users.
phleig

Writing custom Ubermap config for Serum and other VST?

Post by phleig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 am

Hi all -

I was recently turned on to Ubermap for my Push 2 and VSTs like Serum. Initially, it looks very promising for my needs and the issues I'm having may be directly related to Serum itself, but I thought I'd ask the forum.

I have Ubermap installed correctly and it is functioning, when I load a VST a new .cfg file is created and I can edit it, with changes reflected when I re-instantiate the VST.

The problem I'm having is when trying to configure Serum, I want it to be as 'mouse-off' as possible when using my Push 2. I've edited Ableton's Options.txt to auto-configure the maximum parameters, which has helped, but I think Serum has more automatable parameters than Ableton can auto-configure.

In a specific example, I want to be able to turn OSC B on/off from within Serum. I know this parameter can be configured, as I can do it manually and it does work when I make an Instrument Rack and map it to a macro. But when Ableton auto-configures, the parameter doesn't appear in the list - perhaps it is beyond the 128th parameter on the list.

I've removed the last 'few' entries from the auto-configuration from within Ableton and then manually added the OSC B on/off to get the parameter name, which shows up in the .cfg file afterward, but it doesn't seem to really work, as no text appears on the Push 2 screen for that parameter - it's just...blank.

So...can you just 'write' a custom configuration for Ubermap as long as you have the correct parameter names without having to auto-configure? If not, can you somehow select which parameters get automatically configured by Ableton when it loads?

Thanks,

phleig