Push 2 encoder knobs working randomly...grounding issue?

Discuss Push with other users.
AMINAL

Push 2 encoder knobs working randomly...grounding issue?

Post by AMINAL » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi guys, I've got this issue which appears fairly common with Push 2 - the encoder knobs seem to work on their own, sending control info to whatever they happen to be linked to.

If I activate midi mapping, it assigns randomly between 71 and 79 - the encoder CCs.

After going through midi and controller port variations I eliminated any of that. Also activated key assign to check if it wasn't my mac sending the midi.

In the end though, after trying different combinations of plug and usb variations, resetting the SMC, I found that if my macbook was unplugged, it'd send a single CC74 message. If I moved the power maglink around the socket it'd start giving out random messages. But while my mac gives me a subtle electric charge when unplugged (and barefoot), it ultimately doesn't affect things beyond that first instance.

Makes sense - the touch sensitivity would make the encoders sensitive to grounding issues, along with the case - which also gives a subtle shock if not grounded. Finally it came down to a portable speaker I'd plugged my soundcard into, which was charging off the same plugpoint. When it was plugged in I'd get random messages from all the encoders. It made assigning and automating a nightmare for live performance.

Funny thing is I've noticed a few threads where people got their units replaced by ableton at great customs costs etc. When in all likelihood this is an issue with every unit.

Or might I be wrong? Because that would be nice. Is there some way of properly grounding the unit, and is this behavior faulty or just part of the deal?

Tarekith

Re: Push 2 encoder knobs working randomly...grounding issue?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Sounds like you either have a faulty unit, or there's some weird grounding issue with your laptop that's causing it. This definitely isn't normal behaviour for Push.

Who-man

Post by Who-man » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Hey there! May I know if your problem fixed or not?! I have the same problem! My new push 2 encoders start to act like this and even when I turn encoders record button starts by itself without even touching! It's not always but I encounter with this problem 3 times! And something strange is that this is my second push2 that I replaced it with my first one because of a stocking pad behaviour!!

Acidduck

Post by Acidduck » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 pm

I had a similar issue with my Push 2 - when I was using it, random values were being changed on parameters I was not changing - and sometimes it would even just start randomly recording.

This was super odd to me - I had recently changed the table Push sits on, and I realise the problem didn't happen before. I did quite a bit of experimenting and found that for me at least, its like what Tarekith mentioned - it's a grounding issue.

I tested this by unplugging my laptop from the mains, and just ran Push 2 in what I will call "Super Dark" mode :-) (ie. just off USB power, and not connected to the wall wart)

I played with it for about 10 mins, and turning knobs etc, testing pads and so on, and I had no random jittering of values anymore!

So how to fix this when using the Push? Either don't ground yourself, or make sure the Push is grounded. For me the easy solution is to stand on a rubber mat... problem solved. I guess you buying a grounding mat to place the push on top of would also work.

So do a quick test with the Super Dark mode and see if that stops the issue - then you can take the extra steps to solve it.

I hope this might help anyone out there who might experience the same issue.

Marcelo Köhler

Post by Marcelo Köhler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:17 pm

Had the same issue and got it resolved by installing a simple transformer 220v 110v on my setup.

Hope this works for those having a similar config.

pfer

Post by pfer » Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Same issue here...tried almost anything even the transformer 220/110 tricks and it's not working for me. It's working perfectly in dark mode but I can't make it work properly with the power adapter. :evil: :evil: :evil: please ableton do something.

[bge]

Post by [bge] » Thu May 23, 2019 11:07 am

Hi all, this could be caused by two different issues:

1. If the control surface settings are incorrect (wrong ports selected, more than one control surface active etc). Check here for proper setup: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ush-2-Mac-

2. EMI (electromagnetic interference - not the record label :D ): See here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005659540

If you're still having issues, please contact support.

pfer

Post by pfer » Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 pm

I've contacted the support and most of the answers provided here https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005659540 are wtf. Talking about electrical installation... ok but i can't do anything about that. The power adapter of the macbook ;) they recommends to use it with the long cord and not the duck adapter ... which is not provided anymore ...). Not very helpful in fact.

First I was thinking maybe it an issue with the cheap power adapter of the push. Crazy to have that kind of power adapter on a such beautiful device.
Finally I solved the issue with a real usb C cable (before I was using an usb c adapter on the original cable), I think ableton should provide an alternative cable for modern laptop computers...
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00UUB ... UTF8&psc=1
this one fits perfectly and solved the issue on my macbook pro.

skeptek

Post by skeptek » Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm

I had the same issue. Turned out to be the pedal i plugged into the push in combination with a monitor plugged into my laptop. I can live without the pedal.

zHavoc

Post by zHavoc » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Guys my push 2 is with the same problem, I bought it second hand a year ago and it come like new, working perfectly. In the past few months I haven't used it much, but since yesterday, when I use any of the 8 main knobs, it changes swing amount, master volume and start recording by itself. I have read all your posts and tried all suggestions and ableton's indications, I just dont have any other cable to try it out, but this has been pretty well treated and was perfectly running before, why in the hell it's acting like this now..? I've even never used the Ac power before until today, same result. Please help, I worked so hard to get this one.

_Nicolas_

Post by _Nicolas_ » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am

Hi , just like Acidduck said. Standing on a rubber mat (or using some Crocs) resolved the problem for me.

No more swing changes, master volume acting crazy or starting random recordings.

Thank you sir.