Running Push 2/Live 9 with closed Macbook lid

Discuss Push with other users.
Benet

Running Push 2/Live 9 with closed Macbook lid

Post by Benet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Hey,
I'm looking to get back into performing live again and this time around I've got a Push (2).

I'm thinking this might lend me the opportunity to perform with my Macbook lid closed, as I am finally able to get a lot of the info I want directly in the controller. There are a few reasons for me wanting to close the lid, one being that the screen won't need to be rendered/draw power, another is to keep the computer safer, and I just don't like the way it looks with a laptop live, it takes me out of the performance and into the software.

I know there are probably a few workarounds but it's 2017... there's got to be a "mainstream" and fully supported way to do this? I found an old thread from 2012 but I'm thinking a lot has changed since then.

v

Tarekith

Re: Running Push 2/Live 9 with closed Macbook lid

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 pm

A lot of Apple laptops these days seem to vent heat by the display or through the keyboard. I'd be afraid of things getting to hot myself.

Benet

Post by Benet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:A lot of Apple laptops these days seem to vent heat by the display or through the keyboard. I'd be afraid of things getting to hot myself.
I know, a lot of the air from mine seems to be coming from the space where the screen meets the keyboard. Still - it supports being used with external screens while closed, functioning as normal. This is all supported by design and is very common practice. I haven't heard about any issues there.

dhoinjo

Post by dhoinjo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am

sorry to come back to this old thread but did you find a solution eventually? And did it work?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:32 pm

It's actually Apple law that when you use your Macbook you MUST have the display open so as to display the beautiful Apple logo so everyone knows you use only-the-best. This is why you cannot close your laptop while in use. This is the decision they have made for us and we are lucky to be a part of that.

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 am

People used to use InsomniaX for this kinda of thing, you might want to check that out. Basically make it behave like there's and external keyboard/display plugged when there isn't.
MacBook Pro Retina. Ableton 10/11.

napakettu

Post by napakettu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Nosleep works here with OS X Sierra and early 2011 Macbook https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep
But do indeed pay attention to temperature when running heavy projects with the lid closed. The fan of my laptop starts screaming earlier this way.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Recent generations of MacBook Pro no longer vent through the keyboard, they do so through the sides and at the rear. I run my 2017 MBP closed when I'm in the studio, with Push 2 and don't have any issues. I rarely exceed ~45% CPU for an extended period of time though so YMMV if your own sets are more CPU intensive :)

silentnigel

Post by silentnigel » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 am

Replying to an old thread in case someone else can use this information while searching around.

If the main issue is to avoid all of the light, one solution that has worked for me is to click Shift (⇧)-Ctrl (⌃) – Eject or Shift (⇧)-Ctrl (⌃) – Power (⎋) (depending on the age of your mac). This will black the screen but keep the mac running. Mac looks like it's off but runs Ableton.

I don't know if there are limits to how long you can do this but I was playing for at least an hour like this and no issues.

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:52 pm

Is there a 2024 solution to this issue?

I want to be able to use my push 3 controller from my sofa.

I'm hoping to be able to connect Push controller to my laptop (M1 macbook pro), close my laptop and sit the push on top on my lap (connected by USB). I have tried putting the laptop on the table in front of me but my super smart dog keeps walking past and knocking the USB cable out.

Is this possible? Is there an app like the one mentioned in this thread that works with M1 macbooks?

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:13 pm

Discovered from advice elsewhere that Amphetamine works well. Just tested and can confirm that it does.