Push 2 for "coventional" musicians

Discuss Push with other users.
dannymunoz

Push 2 for "coventional" musicians

Post by dannymunoz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:03 am

Hi I am a singer and I want to create my own music, however, it doesnt feel natural to produce sounds in a computer, in fact, I don't know how to use synths or plug-ins, etc. I'm used to create music using my guitar and piano and I feel very slow and limited with a computer mouse.

My goal is NOT to become a professional producer but to create my own music. I want to use drum samples to create rhythm and bass lines in addition to my guitar and piano for harmony.

Will Push 2 with Live Intro help me to be more expressive and create music/easier/faster?
Last edited by dannymunoz on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 for "coventional" muscian

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 am

It's always a hard question to answer how something I use will work for someone else.

My own experience is almost a polar opposite from yours. I am not professionally trained in an instrument, can barely strum a guitar but I can put complex sounds together and layer orchestras by ear and program guitars and drums faster than I could learn to play them. Push is great for me but I already know a lot about Live and about production so it's an extension.

Live Intro doesn't come with anything useful as far as sounds and content go so you would need some devices and samples. It would make a lot more sense to get Live Suit if you can, take advantage of current sales, to at least get some quick and easy drum kits and presets for instruments to just load up.

I have always been a firm believer that one should learn the software first before getting too stuck in and invested in learning hardware too but Push does kind of make the process of learning Live a lot easier. Creating a drum pattern for instance is far more intuitive on Push than clicking within a piano roll. With Push you get editing, drum machine, sequencer, effects processor and melodic keyboard all in one. Sitting here surrounded by half a dozen other controllers, I could ditch them all for Push.

login

Re: Push 2 for "coventional" musicians

Post by login » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Push is designed specially for putting down notes, rhythms easily without using the mouse.

Intro has few instruments and samples, but depending on what you are trying to achieve it could be enough, or you could complement with free samples and plugins or cheap ones.

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Thing is... you will probably need some understanding of how Live works in order to get proper value out of Push.

But with respect to just laying down melodies and drum patterns, IMO there's nothing better than Push - ESPECIALLY for a guitarist. I've always felt the comfortable transition from guitar to Push could have been marketed a bit more. I bought Push initially because I am AWFUL with keyboards, but I can play guitar, and Push's pad layout in chromatic mode is almost exactly like a guitar, with rows being strings and columns being frets. One row up from any pad is five semitones. It was seriously an answered prayer for me - I could record midi in a way that makes sense to me.

Also - I hate to tell you to buy the most expensive thing, but if you just want to use pre-made sounds, then Live Suite is the one that's got all the content. If you can't afford it or don't want to spend all that money, try looking for someone selling a license secondhand on KVR or Gearslutz.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:22 am

Skip intro and go for standard or suite.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube