Can PUSH change keys to follow a song?

Discuss Push with other users.
LarZ2

Can PUSH change keys to follow a song?

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 pm

I am using PUSH2 with Ableton Live on a PC.
Have a song in one key C-, looping.
Playing sax with PUSH and MIDI out to my Yamaha synth.
This works fantastic since PUSH only displays the notes in that scale, PUSH is much easier to play than a piano keyboard.

I was really amazed at what I can do in a one chord song, but when I changed to multiple chords, the party stopped.
The big question, if I have a song that changes C- to D- can PUSH change keys so I am always playing the right notes?
LarZ

Tarekith

Re: Can PUSH change keys to follow a song?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Unfortunately this doesn't happen. I believe in Live 10 the scale setting is remembered on a per track basis in Live, but I know that doesn't really help your issue now.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 pm

LarZ2 wrote: I was really amazed at what I can do in a one chord song, but when I changed to multiple chords, the party stopped.
The big question, if I have a song that changes C- to D- can PUSH change keys so I am always playing the right notes?
I'm not sure I understand. You're not saying that using a key in C means there is only one chord available, are you?

You could of course use the MIDI scale tool to transpose, say a C minor key to D minor, but I think in the long run this may be more bewildering. At least if you also look at the Live MIDI editor notes, which in this example example will be the C minor notes when what you hear will be the transposed notes in D minor. Of course, on the Push it would look the same.
Make some music!

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 pm

I have a song in C-7, one key, one chord with many inversions. I set up the PUSH to C- scale and play Sax. Sounds great, and is easy to play because the PUSH only has the notes in the C- scale. Next song changes from C- to D-. I set up PUSH for C-, then when the chord changes to D-
I am still in the C- scale. Is there a way to trigger the push to change scales when the chords of the song change. ?
LarZ

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 pm

No, there is not.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm

LarZ2 wrote:Is there a way to trigger the push to change scales when the chords of the song change. ?
What could be simpler than, you know, changing the scale on the Push? Maybe you with trigger mean doing this inside Live with automation?

If you're busy playing when you want the change, as I said there is a way with transposing with a the MIDI scale tool, but that would mean your MIDI data would all the time be in the same key as your Push in the actual MIDI clip inside Live and only the activation/deactivation of the MIDI scale preset in the track would actually change the scale heard. If this is all your MIDI notes that you create this might work out.

The Scale transpose in the image above take, in that setup, all the notes in the C Major scale and transposes these to the D Major scale. The details of this MIDI scale tool is in the manual: 23.6 Scale.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 am

macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes, Thanks for the two good ideas. There has to be a way.
When I open a Live Set that I created, my Push2 changes to the scale in that song.

If PUSH is capable of knowing what scale was used for that clip, then it may be possible to switch scales in a song.
I will keep searching.
LarZ

NzXvH89e

Post by NzXvH89e » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:30 am

This is a bit late for the original poster, but in case anyone comes across this thread in a search, as I did, the key of the Push can be changed with ClyphX:

https://youtu.be/O7u5LFF4wuM?t=227

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:02 am

I have been using ClyphX to command PUSH2 to change scales for lead instruments since I started this thread. It works great but has one big problem; notes stick or hang.
What is everyone else doing? I'm playing songs that change chords every 8 beats. I'm playing a synth or sax solo (live) over the chords so it is not practical to pick a different scale button on the PUSH every chord change (C minor pentatonic to F minor every 8 beats). I like what I am seeing below from Stromkraft. Yes, there is a MIDI scale function that would work great, but how do I get it to change scales with a midi command. I can set the scale to C minor pentatonic, then when the song changes to F minor, how do I assign a midi key to make this scale switch to F. Is there anybody out there.

Stromkraft wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm
LarZ2 wrote:Is there a way to trigger the push to change scales when the chords of the song change. ?
What could be simpler than, you know, changing the scale on the Push? Maybe you with trigger mean doing this inside Live with automation?

If you're busy playing when you want the change, as I said there is a way with transposing with a the MIDI scale tool, but that would mean your MIDI data would all the time be in the same key as your Push in the actual MIDI clip inside Live and only the activation/deactivation of the MIDI scale preset in the track would actually change the scale heard. If this is all your MIDI notes that you create this might work out.

The Scale transpose in the image above take, in that setup, all the notes in the C Major scale and transposes these to the D Major scale. The details of this MIDI scale tool is in the manual: 23.6 Scale.
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 am
If you have M4L, check Push-Scaleton
That's the right idea, that's exactly what I need. Unfortunately, it does not work if you read the fine print. Not frozen correctly ??

I re-configured my Ableton tracks. I was using one midi track with midi out going to my MODX synth, and External Instrument coming in from the MODX, and I had a lot of effects on that track, plus Clyphx on the clips to change keys. too much stuff going on there. Now I have a midi track going out to the MODX only, and another midi track for external instrument to capture sound in, no Clyphx, so far for half an hour, no stuck notes. If this solves my sticking note problem, then I just need to find a way to change scales for the push, and I will have everything.
LarZ

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 am

Hey LarZ2,
yeah the device wasn't frozen, but I've up an update some weeks ago. I've probably sent an email with the updated device too, but gumroad emails tend to go into the spams for many people.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon May 13, 2019 9:03 am

...is there any difference between scaleton and this: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... cale-o-mat ?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

eddievolondo

Post by eddievolondo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi,

I was thinking this myself today as I just got a Push 2 and ran against the is problem. Check this tut out, it appears you can after all using chromatic mode. If you dont know the chord pad shapes you can play them on your midi keyboard and the relevant pads will light up so you can learn the chords. You can even record the chord prog as a clip and play it back to learn the pad sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfGNSN ... E&index=21